Clear steps to install on shared hosting (like Dreamhost)

Could be LovdByLess

Mar 14, 2009, 9:35:56 AM3/14/09
to Lovd by Less
Title says it all!

- Yes, I know that shared hosting is not preferred; am doing it anyway
(as a test).
- Yes, I know this has been raised before, but no one seems willing to
simply provide a direct clear set of instructions. Given the
popularity of shared hosting, I'd think including this sort of info
(maybe in the install instructions) would be in the community's best
interest.

Simply, if you can, if it's possible and you know how, please reply
with a clear & concise set of instructions to install LovdByLess in a
shared environment.

For many, like myself, LovdByLess is their first intro to Ruby. I'm
not a total noob, but please if you're referencing "presumed
knowledge" then include specific details; vague allusions to "known
info" is _not_ helpful.

(lazy reliance on knowledge dependencies kill open source projects
from taking hold as it prevents new people from adopting the
technology; not everyone is interested in becoming an expert just to
install something)

Jonathon Brenner

Mar 14, 2009, 10:21:50 AM3/14/09
to lovdb...@googlegroups.com
There are two reasons why it's difficult to find directions for installing on a shared host:

1) Many of the developers don't use shared hosts, therefore don't have a reliable way of validating their instructions.
2) Most shared host implementations of RoR differ significantly, thus the instructions become provider specific.

That said, it would be awesome if someone wants to create directions for deploying lovd to their hosting provider. Just put them on lovd's github wiki.

Jason Keenan

Mar 14, 2009, 10:28:01 AM3/14/09
to lovdb...@googlegroups.com
Mmmmmm. Interesting approach. Not necessarily the one I would have
taken but...direct :)

I'm more than willing to give you any assistance you might need if
you wanted to install on hostmonster but I must admit it was a
monster to get installed and it would take me at least a full day to
back track through all of the steps. Each of the share hosting
options you have need entirely different setup steps so any
instructions would be very subjective. It is a tad frustrating when
you talk about the things that 'kill open source projects'. I don't
have much to contribute to this project myself but what I do have is
some determination to get the little bits that I need done, like
getting lovd installed on my host. When I've done that I'll help any
way I can. You could probably do the same. I haven't seen your name
around and I've been a lovd lurker for a while now. Generally the
rules of engagement I like to take are...lurk, learn then share the
luurv.

That said, if you need help with hostmonster install, I'm your man
and I'll do what I can to help...just chill a bit for god's sake.

;)

Jason

David Chen

Mar 14, 2009, 11:30:18 AM3/14/09
to lovdb...@googlegroups.com
If there was a step-by-step guide for Dreamhost (for Lovdbyless), it would be the greatest thing ever. I've been trying for a week and am about to give myself a lobotomy.

I've been looking to pay someone to install it for me, but I'd rather learn how so I can replicate the process and actually learn RoR.

Although I have a background with various programming languages, I've never used SSH, for example, so I can't even get Putty to work. I feel like an idiot.

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope...

Jonathon Brenner

Mar 14, 2009, 12:00:56 PM3/14/09
to lovdb...@googlegroups.com
There's one thing I'd like to add. The degree of difficulty for learning RoR is extremely high when you're trying to learn by setting up a fairly complex app on a shared host.  Here's some completely subjective (i.e. bullshit I made up) difficulty levels for learning RoR in different environments:

Following the code tutorials in programming books on your local machine: 3.0
Installing and configuring a simple open source project on your local machine: 3.5
Installing and configuring a complex social networking framework on your local machine: 6.5
Installing and configuring a complex social networking framework on a shared host: 9.0

If you don't know RoR, I suggest starting with a scenario in which the barrier to entry is a tad bit lower. Sure, a layman can install a fairly complex PHP app on a shared host relatively easily. The unfortunate reality is that support for RoR on shared hosting providers is flaky at best. Why is this? I'm not sure. Maybe it's just that PHP has been around a little longer. Maybe it's that Ruby and Rails changes so damn quickly that shared hosting providers have a hard time keeping up.

Jason Keenan

Mar 14, 2009, 7:58:45 PM3/14/09
to lovdb...@googlegroups.com
Shared hosting + complex rails app (eg lovd-by-less) = virtual lobotomy

Unfortunately that's the way it goes.

Putty should be a matter of installing putty, entering your domain
name in the top field, a window should open up asking for your
username (enter your main username) hit enter, should then come up
asking for your password (which should be your main password for
logging into your account, because you are logging into a linux box
you wont see the cursor move, just enter it blindly) hit enter and
you should be in.

Sometimes you have to contact your provider to allow SSH access. Not
sure if this is the case with dreamhost.

Jason

Jason Keenan

Mar 15, 2009, 5:20:56 AM3/15/09
to lovdb...@googlegroups.com
This seems like a good and simple description about how to get ssh +
putty + dreamhost happening

Use google David, let it guide your actions.

Jason

Jason Keenan

Mar 15, 2009, 5:24:29 AM3/15/09
to lovdb...@googlegroups.com
Ooops, forgot the link http://ahappycustomer.dreamhosters.com/
dreamhost-ssh.html

:o

dche

Mar 27, 2009, 3:14:26 PM3/27/09
to Lovd by Less
Okay, I know when I'm beat.

Dreamhost:1
Me: 0

Now I need some alternatives. Can someone recommend a cheap host where
I can play with a Lovd by Less install? Or better yet, anyone in
Chicago and want a free lunch? :)

Jonathon Brenner

Mar 27, 2009, 6:06:25 PM3/27/09
to lovdb...@googlegroups.com
Give slicehost a try. Their VPS' start at 20/mo. A deal, for sure.

AdamV

Apr 1, 2009, 3:18:59 AM4/1/09
to Lovd by Less
I've installed several non-trivial rails apps on Dreamhost already and
I'm willing to try for Lovd. I'll post my results as they arrive.

If lovd ran on rails 2.3 (is there an ETA on this?), I'd write a
little template to do it all nice and neat. I've done it before:
http://www.littlefyr.com/articles/2009/03/20/rails-2-3-template-for-dreamhost/

Two things that you need to make sure you do first:
1) Read and understand this: http://railstips.org/2008/12/14/deploying-rails-on-dreamhost-with-passenger

Steven Bristol

Apr 2, 2009, 1:51:19 PM4/2/09
to lovdb...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 3:18 AM, AdamV <Adam.van...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If lovd ran on rails 2.3 (is there an ETA on this?),

Someone sent me an email with an untested patch file that is a port to
2.3.2. I don't have time to test it (because I'm currently touring
India (don't be jealous :)) so I'll forward the patch to the group to
see if someone wants to be adventurous.

Cheers,
steven bristol