Question on Fan

Kip Warner

Jul 27, 2010, 10:56:15 PM7/27/10
to loongs...@googlegroups.com
Hey List,

Is there a module that should be inserted or something special I should
do to have better fan control on my beloved Yeeloong? It's very loud
and doesn't seem to vary depending on CPU temperature. I am running
gNewSense metad.

Thank you.

--
Kip Warner -- Software Engineer
OpenPGP encrypted/signed mail preferred

signature.asc

wu zhangjin

Jul 28, 2010, 5:11:09 AM7/28/10
to loongs...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On 7/28/10, Kip Warner <k...@thevertigo.com> wrote:
> Hey List,
>
> Is there a module that should be inserted or something special I should
> do to have better fan control on my beloved Yeeloong? It's very loud
> and doesn't seem to vary depending on CPU temperature. I am running
> gNewSense metad.

The yeeloong_laptop module should work for you, with it, you just need
to install a
fan control tool: fancontrol

or change it manually via the /sys interface. not remember the path, but you
can get it via:

$ find /sys -name "*pwm*"

but It is not safe to change it manually for the whole world is so
hot, you'd better
make it work automatically, otherwise, the machine will be 'burned out' ;)

Best Regards,
Wu Zhangjin

--
MSN+Gtalk: wuzha...@gmail.com
Blog: http://falcon.oss.lzu.edu.cn

Kip Warner

Jul 28, 2010, 3:57:10 PM7/28/10
to loongs...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, 2010-07-28 at 18:31 +0000, loongson-d...@googlegroups.com
wrote:

> The yeeloong_laptop module should work for you, with it, you just need
> to install a
> fan control tool: fancontrol
>
> or change it manually via the /sys interface. not remember the path,
> but you
> can get it via:
>
> $ find /sys -name "*pwm*"
>
> but It is not safe to change it manually for the whole world is so
> hot, you'd better
> make it work automatically, otherwise, the machine will be 'burned
> out' ;)
>
> Best Regards,
> Wu Zhangjin

Thank you Wu. That was very helpful. Unfortunately gNewSense (metad), as
far as I can tell, doesn't have fancontrol available in the official apt
repository. I will try building from source.

signature.asc

Kip Warner

Jul 28, 2010, 4:54:36 PM7/28/10
wrote:
> The yeeloong_laptop module should work for you, with it, you just need
> to install a
> fan control tool: fancontrol
>
> or change it manually via the /sys interface. not remember the path,
> but you
> can get it via:
>
> $ find /sys -name "*pwm*"
>
> but It is not safe to change it manually for the whole world is so
> hot, you'd better
> make it work automatically, otherwise, the machine will be 'burned
> out' ;)
>
> Best Regards,
> Wu Zhangjin

Wu, one other thing. Can you send me a copy of your YeeLoong's
/etc/fancontrol? Thank you.

signature.asc

wu zhangjin

Jul 28, 2010, 9:08:03 PM7/28/10
to loongs...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

wrote:
> The yeeloong_laptop module should work for you, with it, you just need
> to install a
> fan control tool: fancontrol
>
> or change it manually via the /sys interface. not remember the path,
> but you
> can get it via:
>
> $ find /sys -name "*pwm*"
>
> but It is not safe to change it manually for the whole world is so
> hot, you'd better
> make it work automatically, otherwise, the machine will be 'burned
> out' ;)
>
> Best Regards,
> Wu Zhangjin

Wu, one other thing. Can you send me a copy of your YeeLoong's
/etc/fancontrol? Thank you.

I don't use fancontrol, I just know there is such a tool ;)

Hope somebody else who use it send one to you.

Regards,
Wu Zhangjin

--
Kip Warner -- Software Engineer
OpenPGP encrypted/signed mail preferred
http://www.thevertigo.com

ri...@happyleptic.org

Jul 29, 2010, 7:07:00 AM7/29/10
to loongs...@googlegroups.com
-[ Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 01:54:36PM -0700, Kip Warner ]----

> Wu, one other thing. Can you send me a copy of your YeeLoong's
> /etc/fancontrol? Thank you.

Personnaly I use this :

# Configuration file generated by pwmconfig, changes will be lost
INTERVAL=10
FCTEMPS= hwmon0/pwm1=hwmon0/temp1_input
FCFANS= hwmon0/pwm1=hwmon0/fan1_input
MINTEMP= hwmon0/pwm1=54
MAXTEMP= hwmon0/pwm1=58
MINSTART= hwmon0/pwm1=1
MINSTOP= hwmon0/pwm1=1
MAXPWM= hwmon0/pwm1=3

ToobMug

Aug 16, 2010, 8:21:30 PM8/16/10
to loongson-dev
Is the fan in the fuloong controllable at all? I don't see any module
for the platform, but it still has a fan noise problem.

wu zhangjin

Aug 16, 2010, 10:17:30 PM8/16/10
to loongs...@googlegroups.com
On 8/17/10, ToobMug <gum...@clear.net.nz> wrote:
> Is the fan in the fuloong controllable at all?

I think the answer is no.

> I don't see any module
> for the platform, but it still has a fan noise problem.

Hmm, yeah.

Regards,
Wu Zhangjin