P/R "Update"

Longleaf Bicycles

Sep 3, 2010, 4:52:41 AM9/3/10
to Longleaf Bicycle Grove

I am leaning towards separate P and an R models so that the design for both can be optimized. I can accept compromises such as dropout style (I personally would want horizontals on a P and verticals on an R but could live with horizontals on both) but I have a very hard time accepting that a frame for drop bars and porteur style bars can have the same effective top tube length. It can be made to work, but that doesn't mean it is right.

One large obstacle in getting the frames to market has been the time demands of the two businesses that are Longleaf Bicycles. I enjoy working with locals. Every serious rider wants to have a good local bike shop. But I have no taste for running a big general bike shop and our present location lacks the population and bicycle culture necessary for a thriving small shop specializing in the bicycles that I'm passionate about. So in the future I won't be doing general repair work for locals or have convenient retail hours. Moving forward I will focus exclusively on the specialty side of the business. Getting the framesets made will be the highest priority.

Anthony

Longleaf Bicycles
805 B North Fourth St..
Wilmington, North Carolina 28401
910.341.3049
longleafbicycles.com

Christopher Johnson

Sep 3, 2010, 7:02:41 AM9/3/10
to longleaf-bi...@googlegroups.com
Wow! That's big news, and a big step.  I assume that the "specialty side of the business" means you intend to continue sales of the products you offer locally, through your website, and by phone.  In other words, it is only the local repairs and retail hours that are being compromised in the pursuit of frames.  Right?

Best wishes, Anthony.

Steve Palincsar

Sep 3, 2010, 7:16:11 AM9/3/10
On Fri, 2010-09-03 at 04:52 -0400, Longleaf Bicycles wrote:

> I am leaning towards separate P and an R models so that the design for
> both can be optimized. I can accept compromises such as dropout style
> (I personally would want horizontals on a P and verticals on an R but
> could live with horizontals on both) but I have a very hard time
> accepting that a frame for drop bars and porteur style bars can have
> the same effective top tube length. It can be made to work, but that
> doesn't mean it is right.

Thank you for the update. I agree with you -- in the case of my
drop-bar equipped P/R, it works but only just, using a rather short stem
- about as short as they come. And I too would want verticals on an R,
it's the most annoying thing about the bike. If you're going to have
differently sized top tubes, might as well go ahead and get the proper
dropouts for the task as well, I think.

This couldn't be more timely: there's an article by John Speare in the
current Bicycle Times about setting up a P/R as the ideal commuter for a
co-worker of his, and in a side-bar he mentions Longleaf.

I was out for a ride on my P/R a couple of days ago and took a few
photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/97916047@N00/4949794498/in/set-72157624859015554
http://www.flickr.com/photos/97916047@N00/4949201993/in/set-72157624859015554

Longleaf Bicycles

Sep 3, 2010, 9:20:12 AM9/3/10
Chris wrote:

you intend to continue sales of the products you offer locally, through your website, and by phone.  In other words, it is only the local repairs and retail hours that are being compromised in the pursuit of frames.

Correct, Chris.

billiam

Sep 3, 2010, 12:27:14 PM9/3/10
to longleaf-bi...@googlegroups.com
Anthony,

Thanks for the update.  This is big news and will, no doubt, make both you and your customers happier in the long run.

It's also timely for me.  Since I've finally dialed in my Kogswell with a nice Roseland Cycles porteur rack, I've been planning a drop barred bike for longer weekend rides, and I keep remembering how much I liked my Kogswell in R mode with drop bars.

Good luck with all of the hard work.

Bill in San Diego

Seth Vidal

Sep 3, 2010, 5:16:12 PM9/3/10
to longleaf-bi...@googlegroups.com

Will you still have a shop/location in NC or are you planning on
closing that location and work out of an office/warehouse space
exclusively?

-sv

Longleaf Bicycles

Sep 4, 2010, 3:33:35 AM9/4/10
to longleaf-bi...@googlegroups.com
Will you still have a shop/location in NC or are you planning on
closing that location and work out of an office/warehouse space
exclusively?

-sv
Seth,

I will continue to have a shop space open though it is possible the location will change soon. Walk-in hours will be very limited and I won't be doing repairs for the general public. I'll still work on bikes on anything I've sold or sell and will accept other repair jobs on a case by case basis.

Anthony