Web hosting

Mark Lomas

Oct 28, 2011, 6:11:45 AM10/28/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Wondering if anyone at Hackspace can point me in the direction of a decent basic web hosting company? I don't need anything complicated - register a domain, hosting, a few email addresses etc...
I'd rather go with a company that's small and accessible than some faceless monster, preferably local...
Any advice gratefully received.
Cheers
Mark

Darren McDonald

Oct 28, 2011, 6:19:24 AM10/28/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Mark,

I've had several hosting providers and bytemark is by far the best.
The servers come pretty well built, and not full of pointless junk. So
as long as you can live without cpanel, they're awesome. The guys in
support know their stuff too. I think the servers are up in
Birmingham.

Mark Steward

Oct 28, 2011, 6:27:06 AM10/28/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
For basic web hosting, GAE, Github will get you a long way for free.  Google Apps can also provide email, if you don't mind being second class to their main services.  I've also seen people using ep.io, engineyard and heroku.  I'm instinctively wary of EC2 for this sort of thing.

For a VPS which you can properly mess around with, I've heard great things about Bitfolk, and I know you'll get numerous recommendations from Hackspacers.

Can I suggest we make a FAQ wiki page for this?  I've created http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Web_hosting_providers as an experiment.

Mark

Kimball Johnson

Oct 28, 2011, 6:29:34 AM10/28/11
On 28 October 2011 11:19, Darren McDonald <dar...@dmcdonald.net> wrote:
> Mark,
>
> I've had several hosting providers and bytemark is by far the best.
> The servers come pretty well built, and not full of pointless junk. So
> as long as you can live without cpanel, they're awesome. The guys in
> support know their stuff too. I think the servers are up in
> Birmingham.

Manchester actually, and Open Panel [1] looks good as an alternative to cPanel.

[1] http://www.openpanel.com

Yiannis Costopoulos

Oct 28, 2011, 6:32:43 AM10/28/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark,

I have been using Idaq (and, no, they are not playing a letter/word game with Ipad; they were called like that quite some time ago).

Regards,
Yiannis

Mark Lomas

Oct 28, 2011, 7:02:17 AM10/28/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the prompt replies guys
I've browsed through the recommendations, and Idaq looks closest to what I need - just somewhere to host a basic site for my architectural technology practice. I'm more at the 'maker' end than the 'tech' end of things, so I had to look up some of the terms:-)
Cheers
Mark

Nat Morris

Oct 28, 2011, 7:23:07 AM10/28/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
On 28 October 2011 11:11, Mark Lomas <bargeve...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Wondering if anyone at Hackspace can point me in the direction of a decent
> basic web hosting company? I don't need anything complicated - register a
> domain, hosting, a few email addresses etc...
> I'd rather go with a company that's small and accessible than some faceless
> monster, preferably local...

I have my stuff split between Bytemark - http://www.bytemark.co.uk/
and Portfast - https://www.portfast.co.uk/.

I've found Bytemark good for Linux VM's and Portfast for DNS and mail
(their control panel is very usable).

Nat,

Adrian Godwin

Oct 28, 2011, 8:27:23 AM10/28/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I went to Gradwell (http://www.gradwell.com/) when I got fed up with
'free' providers a few years ago. They're probably not the cheapest,
but I've had no complaints.

-adrian

Stephen Early

Oct 28, 2011, 8:45:57 AM10/28/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I use Mythic Beasts for all my hosting stuff.  No complaints!  http://www.mythic-beasts.com/

Steve

Sam Kelly

Oct 28, 2011, 8:58:37 AM10/28/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Mine all goes through what was then iWeb, but is now calling itself Funio, on a friend's recommendation a few years back. Their servers are all in Montreal, which can occasionally be handy, but which probably doesn't fit the initial request. Very occasional brief outages, but never any problems with service, and more of everything than I'm likely to need.

Sam

--
Sam Kelly, http://www.eithin.co.uk/

That's it.  We're not messing around anymore, we're buying a bigger dictionary.  -  Tibor Fischer, The Thought Gang.

Katie Sutton

Oct 28, 2011, 11:50:25 AM10/28/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

I'm with contextshift.eu, based in the Netherlands which is handy given one of the sites I own :p owner lives in Canterbury though. Excellent value and great customer service.

(disclaimer: owned by one of my friends, and I get a free month if you say you heard it from me.)

--
Sent from my mobile. Please excuse top-posting, typos and brevity.

Alex Smith

Oct 28, 2011, 5:40:24 PM10/28/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Obligatory Bitfolk plug. http://www.bitfolk.com - the owner is a hackspace member, they provide the server for hackspace.org.uk, their support is ace and they don't enrage me even a little bit.

Portfast/BM good too.

Mark Lomas

Oct 31, 2011, 12:22:39 PM10/31/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for all the replies. I was kinda hoping that someone as local as an actual Hackspace member might be providing hosting, so I've got plenty of options to compare now.
Cheers
Mark