Space signage (was Cleaner)

Sam Kelly

Aug 10, 2011, 8:06:01 PM8/10/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I've just done up a template we could use for cleaning signage & uploaded it here[1].

As you'll see, this one's for a toilet, with suggested procedure, and uses sea creatures in place of actual locations for Stuff. I have tried to be detailed & informative, and a unified design for cleaning posters will help us notice & remember them.

Please suggest any or all of:

a) modifications to the procedure and/or wording

b) other signs we should have

c) procedures and/or wording for those signs

If you'd rather have a play around with it yourself, I've also uploaded the Scribus working file for it[2].

[1] http://www.eithin.com/images/hacksign1.pdf
[2] http://www.eithin.com/images/template.sla

--
Sam Kelly, http://www.eithin.co.uk/

That's it.  We're not messing around anymore, we're buying a bigger dictionary.  -  Tibor Fischer, The Thought Gang.

Catherine Flick

Aug 11, 2011, 4:37:32 AM8/11/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Looks great! I love the mantra at the bottom particularly.

Could you enumerate the steps? Makes it easier when you're actually doing them so you can quickly eyeball what you're up to. :)

C.

scary boots

Aug 11, 2011, 4:45:41 AM8/11/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Super!

Adrian Godwin

Aug 11, 2011, 4:52:59 AM8/11/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
So... who is cleaning the toilets at the moment ?

I've cleaned them only when they've seemed unpleasantly dirty or
before a workshop, and that hasn't been for some time. So someone must
be cleaning them pretty regularly at the moment. They're a good deal
cleaner than the kitchen.

-adrian

Cepmender

Aug 11, 2011, 5:03:26 AM8/11/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Like it!

Robert Leverington

Aug 11, 2011, 6:15:15 AM8/11/11
On 2011-08-11, Adrian Godwin wrote:
> So... who is cleaning the toilets at the moment ?

I last cleaned them on the 30th July, and previously to that cleaned
them approximatley once a week since the end of June (except for weeks
where I could not find a mop).

Nevertheless, they need cleaning more frequently than that, and I do not
like being the only person who does it.

Robert

Adrian Godwin

Aug 11, 2011, 6:38:54 AM8/11/11
On 8/11/11, Robert Leverington <rob...@rhl.me.uk> wrote:

> Nevertheless, they need cleaning more frequently than that, and I do not
> like being the only person who does it.

Quite right, and many thanks for your efforts.

-adrian

Chris Mear

Aug 11, 2011, 4:53:27 PM8/11/11
On 11 Aug 2011, at 01:06, Sam Kelly wrote:

> I've just done up a template we could use for cleaning signage & uploaded it here[1].
>
> As you'll see, this one's for a toilet, with suggested procedure, and uses sea creatures in place of actual locations for Stuff. I have tried to be detailed & informative, and a unified design for cleaning posters will help us notice & remember them.

Great work! I know I would do some more tidying up and cleaning on my occasional visits if there were some expectations like this documented in the space itself.

> Please suggest

> b) other signs we should have
>
> c) procedures and/or wording for those signs

As you've demonstrated with the toilet example, I don't think there's anything that's so 'obvious' it couldn't benefit from some in-space documentation. (Some of us are shy and don't like shouting questions at a room of people working on things.) E.g.:

1. Where do the rubbish bags go?
2. How does the dishwasher work?
3. What is the schedule for vacuuming?

And perhaps some shorter ones in the same house style, just to act as reminders to do things when you encounter them. E.g.:

1. Am I full? Empty me! New bin bags are under the sink.
2. Have I just finished washing the dishes? Unload me please!

Again, I think a big part of signs like this being helpful is that they set expectations about when tasks ought to be done, right at the point where you are in a position to do that task.

Chris

> [1] http://www.eithin.com/images/hacksign1.pdf

Sam Kelly

Aug 11, 2011, 6:13:44 PM8/11/11
On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 9:53 PM, Chris Mear <chri...@gmail.com> wrote:
On 11 Aug 2011, at 01:06, Sam Kelly wrote:

> I've just done up a template we could use for cleaning signage & uploaded it here[1].
>
> As you'll see, this one's for a toilet, with suggested procedure, and uses sea creatures in place of actual locations for Stuff. I have tried to be detailed & informative, and a unified design for cleaning posters will help us notice & remember them.

Great work! I know I would do some more tidying up and cleaning on my occasional visits if there were some expectations like this documented in the space itself.

Thank you for the feedback - it's really helpful.

> Please suggest
> b) other signs we should have
>
> c) procedures and/or wording for those signs

As you've demonstrated with the toilet example, I don't think there's anything that's so 'obvious' it couldn't benefit from some in-space documentation. (Some of us are shy and don't like shouting questions at a room of people working on things.) E.g.:

1. Where do the rubbish bags go?
2. How does the dishwasher work?
3. What is the schedule for vacuuming?

Excellent plan! However, I have no idea about the answers to these questions myself, so if we can all collaborate on lists of chores that need to be done and how, and where the Stuff is with which to do them, then I'll be more than happy to design posters.

And perhaps some shorter ones in the same house style, just to act as reminders to do things when you encounter them. E.g.:

1. Am I full? Empty me! New bin bags are under the sink.
2. Have I just finished washing the dishes? Unload me please!

Again, I think a big part of signs like this being helpful is that they set expectations about when tasks ought to be done, right at the point where you are in a position to do that task.

My feeling exactly. OTOH, we need to get consensus about what ought to be done, when, before putting them up, or they'll be ignored and make the non-cleaning culture worse.  (Also on the optimal locations for posters, but the easiest way to do that is to wander around the space with paper & blue-tack.)

Sam

Martin Dittus

Aug 11, 2011, 6:27:59 PM8/11/11

On 11 Aug 2011, at 23:13, Sam Kelly wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 9:53 PM, Chris Mear <chri...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> As you've demonstrated with the toilet example, I don't think there's anything that's so 'obvious' it couldn't benefit from some in-space documentation. (Some of us are shy and don't like shouting questions at a room of people working on things.) E.g.:
>
> 1. Where do the rubbish bags go?
> 2. How does the dishwasher work?
> 3. What is the schedule for vacuuming?
>
> Excellent plan! However, I have no idea about the answers to these questions myself, so if we can all collaborate on lists of chores that need to be done and how, and where the Stuff is with which to do them, then I'll be more than happy to design posters.

I suggest everybody starts editing/improving this page:
http://wiki.hackspace.org.uk/wiki/Chores

That way it's not just hidden in an old mailing list thread. Also much easier to collaborate.

Tim Hutt

Aug 11, 2011, 6:38:09 PM8/11/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

That's good, but I think it should be written in the relevant places
in real life. I would never have thought to look on the wiki to find
out where rubbish goes...

E.g: Write on the bins where to dispose of their contents and get new
binliners. On the toilet wall where to find brushes & cleaning
stuff... you get the idea. Ideally laser etched because it is much
nicer and more permanent than taped A4. :-)

Sam Kelly

Aug 11, 2011, 6:41:16 PM8/11/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Oh, absolutely! I think what Martin meant (CMIIW) was to use the wiki page to get the list of required signs and the text that should be on each one, then design & post them.

Katie Sutton

Aug 11, 2011, 6:42:11 PM8/11/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

That's what I read and understood as well.

--
Katie Sutton
http://tajasel.org

"The ‘Net is a waste of time, and that’s exactly what’s right about
it." ~ William Gibson

Tim Hutt

Aug 11, 2011, 7:30:59 PM8/11/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
> Oh, absolutely! I think what Martin meant (CMIIW) was to use the wiki page
> to get the list of required signs and the text that should be on each one,
> then design & post them.

Ah ok. Excellent.