Kiln

Luke Graham

Mar 3, 2011, 10:08:06 AM3/3/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
We can haz kiln now

Niels is bringing it with a trolley

It will need some love

Luke

Toby Catlin

Mar 3, 2011, 10:29:02 AM3/3/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
hot love?

Sam Cook

Mar 3, 2011, 10:41:01 AM3/3/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, Toby Catlin
hot molten bricky love!

Dave Williams

Mar 3, 2011, 10:42:29 AM3/3/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
This will definitely end well.

scary boots

Mar 3, 2011, 10:46:18 AM3/3/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
i am enamoured of enamelling..

Simon Howes

Mar 3, 2011, 11:01:21 AM3/3/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

I'll be in tomorrow in the day to do some work on this... it needs some electrical/safety tlc. I'd be in tonight but for work cocktails!

Just a thought... laser cut foam gears, cast in bronze via lost foam casting... yum
Feel free to buy me a beer :)

On 3 Mar 2011 15:46, "scary boots" <scary...@gmail.com> wrote:
> i am enamoured of enamelling..
>
> On 3 March 2011 15:42, Dave Williams <da...@dave.io> wrote:
>
>> This will definitely end well.
>>

>> On 3 Mar 2011, at 15:42, Sam Cook <sc...@hep.ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>> hot molten bricky love!

Adrian Godwin

Mar 3, 2011, 11:03:20 AM3/3/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
For once, google's ads put something really quite interesting up against this thread :

http://www.glassstudiosupplies.co.uk/epages/es137568.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es137568/Categories/%22Microwave%20Kilns%22

Not as good as a real-life kiln I'm sure (an aquisition I enthusiastically support) , but sounds worth investigating.

-adrian

Lester Hawksby

Mar 3, 2011, 11:06:49 AM3/3/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
A friend of mine uses one of those for tiny jewellery pieces. She
seems to be having a lot of fun with it but accepts that it is pretty
limited. I think we can do better with this thing :-)

Lester

Sam Cook

Mar 3, 2011, 11:10:29 AM3/3/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, Lester Hawksby
well we have the kiln but the electrics for it (according to Niels) don't work so we'll have to do some fixing.

spooq

Mar 3, 2011, 11:21:38 AM3/3/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
We gave the trader 15 minutes to get the thing working, while we ate
some noodles, but he couldn't.

Luke

Niels

Mar 3, 2011, 11:53:39 AM3/3/11
to London Hackspace
He claimed that it was working this morning and that he was selling it
at a loss with the discount for non-functionality.... LOL

On Mar 3, 4:21 pm, spooq <spo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We gave the trader 15 minutes to get the thing working, while we ate
> some noodles, but he couldn't.
>
> Luke
>
> On 3 March 2011 16:10, Sam Cook <sc...@hep.ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
>

> > well we have the kiln but the electrics for it (according to Niels) don't
> > work so we'll have to do some fixing.
>
> > On 3 March 2011 16:06, Lester Hawksby <lesterhawk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> A friend of mine uses one of those for tiny jewellery pieces. She
> >> seems to be having a lot of fun with it but accepts that it is pretty
> >> limited. I think we can do better with this thing :-)

Niels

Mar 3, 2011, 11:55:53 AM3/3/11
to London Hackspace
What's wrong with corroded, exposed mains wiring? I did like the way
the trader demonstrated it's safety by touching various bits of bare
metal while it was plugged in. Now *thats* selling something you
believe in.....

On Mar 3, 4:01 pm, Simon Howes <simonhowes...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I'll be in tomorrow in the day to do some work on this... it needs some
> electrical/safety tlc. I'd be in tonight but for work cocktails!
>
> Just a thought... laser cut foam gears, cast in bronze via lost foam
> casting... yum
> Feel free to buy me a beer :)
> On 3 Mar 2011 15:46, "scary boots" <scarybo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > i am enamoured of enamelling..
>
> > On 3 March 2011 15:42, Dave Williams <d...@dave.io> wrote:
>
> >> This will definitely end well.
>
> >> On 3 Mar 2011, at 15:42, Sam Cook <sc...@hep.ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> >> hot molten bricky love!
>
> >> On 3 March 2011 15:29, Toby Catlin < <t...@korfball.com>t...@korfball.com

Tamsin Bowles

Mar 3, 2011, 11:57:03 AM3/3/11
On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 4:03 PM, Adrian Godwin <artg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> For once, google's ads put something really quite interesting up against
> this thread :
>
> http://www.glassstudiosupplies.co.uk/epages/es137568.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es137568/Categories/%22Microwave%20Kilns%22
>
> Not as good as a real-life kiln I'm sure (an aquisition I enthusiastically
> support) , but sounds worth investigating.

I did a fair amount of research into these a while back. Alright for
PMC and some enameling, but a real kiln is way better.

T.

Elliot West

Mar 3, 2011, 11:58:51 AM3/3/11
On 3 March 2011 16:55, Niels <malmesb...@gmail.com> wrote:
What's wrong with corroded, exposed mains wiring? I did like the way
the trader demonstrated it's safety by touching various bits of bare
metal while it was plugged in. Now *thats* selling something you
believe in.....

Sounds like he was very confident that it didn't work :)

Simon Howes

Mar 4, 2011, 9:45:29 AM3/4/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Kilns fixed! I opened it up and checked the electrics - its got a thermionic valve in it! Turned out the problem was actually a mechanical one with the temperature control...

Anyway, we did a test firing of it... temp was maxing out at about 500 until i did another hack.

Result: we now have all the little iron bits from harddrive spindles and a puddle of of aluminium. Rar!

Going home now, will be in tomorrow to play with it some more. Sorry for leaving kiln on bench, its a bit hot so cant move it right now. Be careful if you need to move it - its heavy and will need two people.

Lester Hawksby

Mar 4, 2011, 9:46:58 AM3/4/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Superb!

Lester

Ciarán Mooney

Mar 4, 2011, 9:51:42 AM3/4/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Huzzah!

Could you update the new equipment page for the Kiln to reflect what
you have learnt and any other important information that people should
know?

http://wiki.hackspace.org.uk/wiki/Equipment/Kiln

Ciarán

Nigel Worsley

Mar 4, 2011, 10:08:12 AM3/4/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
> Kilns fixed! I opened it up and checked the electrics - its got a thermionic
> valve in it! Turned out the problem was actually a mechanical one with the
> temperature control...

Yuck!

I think that side of things needs a bit of modernising, and sooner rather than later. To that end, I have
bid on a temperature controller: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/220745096118

It will need an SSR to go with it, but they are fairly cheap. And a housing of some sort, I would expect
the existing control location to get rather too hot for it.

> Result: we now have all the little iron bits from harddrive spindles and a
> puddle of of aluminium. Rar!

Excellent!

Has anyone volunteered to order crucibles yet?

Nigle

Sam Cook

Mar 4, 2011, 10:20:50 AM3/4/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, Nigel Worsley
There have been some concerns raise that the insulation for the kiln may contain asbestos.

The type of kiln (as far as we know) is a Gallenkamp 'muffle kiln' (or furnace).

Mike

Mar 4, 2011, 10:30:13 AM3/4/11
On Fri, Mar 04, 2011 at 03:20:50PM +0000, Sam Cook wrote:
> There have been some concerns raise that the insulation for the kiln may
> contain asbestos.

My (albeit limited) understanding was that there's not really problem
with stuff that contains asbestos. It's perfectly safe as long as it
stays in situ and you don't drill/saw/etc it.

Mike.

signature.asc

Adrian Godwin

Mar 4, 2011, 1:16:28 PM3/4/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Nooooo,

Leave that temperature control alone ! Keep the electronics in your iPod !

And especially leave that beautiful bakelite meter with the thermocouple alone  - it just needs a new glass !

-adrian