Biohacking: *pledge drive* to set up the first gene detection experiments

1 view

Martin Dittus

Mar 2, 2011, 5:08:09 PM3/2/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,

after today's biohacking meetup we decided to prepare the first simple experiments to do gene detection. In total we're looking at about a £200 expense, which would give us enough materials for dozens to hundreds of experiments (depending on the particular item.)

Specifically we're interested in PCR followed by electrophoresis: using primers (marker gene sequences) to amplify (multiply) particular gene sequences; and then making the result visible in a gel tank.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymerase_chain_reaction
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrophoresis

We can do all of this here at the Hackspace, and these are the building blocks for quite a few basic yet exciting experiments. E.g.:
* Detection of genetic modifications (GMO food)
* Detection of species ("lamb curry test")
* Detection of variants of species (e.g. detect known traits based on published gene sequences)
* We can also send the results to a sequencing lab to get data back.

Details & pledges here:
http://wiki.hackspace.org.uk/wiki/Pledges/Biohacking#Gene_detection_experiment

tom

Mar 3, 2011, 9:10:33 AM3/3/11
to London Hackspace
i'll go in for this when io get a chance to get on the wiki!