Pcb developer is derped

Simon Howes

Nov 18, 2011, 9:29:06 AM11/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Looks like the pcb developer is dead. Board came out sludgy and when washed off had nothing on it. Apparently someone else had the same problem yesterday (Adrian?)

Anyone opposed to me emptying the tank and refillng with developer this evening/weekend?

Adrian Godwin

Nov 18, 2011, 9:47:24 AM11/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

There also seems to be a problem with the etchant tank - someone had
left a note on top warning that the heater wasn't working, and the
blower doesn't seem to be getting bubbles through (maybe the bubble
bar blocked or the pipe fallen off - the pump is definitely working).
The tank heater did seem to be making heating-up noises but it may
need checking.

I am making progress with the cupric chloride tank - it's close to the
right concentration, needs some measurement and may need aerating.
Don't use it yet, it won't actually dissolve copper at the moment (you
can tell this because there's some undissolved wire in the basket). I
don't really want to put it in the bubble tank while it's so polluted
with ferric chloride though, so please make an effort to clean up the
brown stuff - it does rub off with a pan scrubber and anything removed
will ease the job of cleaning it up properly. There's really no good
reason to just let the spills slowly scale the entire station up.

-adrian

Simon Howes

Nov 18, 2011, 9:55:34 AM11/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Bummer, we fixed and refilled the pcb tank last time we're there. I only have work clothes with me today so theres no way i can fix that tonight.

Any guestimates as to when the new etchant might be ready?  :)

Adrian Godwin

Nov 18, 2011, 10:11:42 AM11/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 2:55 PM, Simon Howes
<simonh...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Bummer, we fixed and refilled the pcb tank last time we're there. I only
> have work clothes with me today so theres no way i can fix that tonight.
>
> Any guestimates as to when the new etchant might be ready?  :)

It shouldn't take more than a day or so to prepare if I stood over it
- it's just that I've been poking at it every couple of weeks and that
takes a while. Feel free to do some measurements - there are
instructions linked from the wiki, measuring syringes in my box, NaOH
for titration in the cupboard. You may need a hydrometer, but I'll
bring mine in next wednesday. I'll bring a fish pump too.

A graduated cylinder would be quite handy if anyone's got one to
spare. I don't really like bringing glassware in on the train.

Something like this :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GRADUATED-ROUND-BASE-BOMEX-MEASURING-CYLINDER-100ml-/180757717856?pt=UK_BOI_Medical_Lab_Equipment_Lab_Supplies_ET&hash=item2a15ffe360

Or a titration flask :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pyrex-Brand-Titration-and-Culture-Heavy-Duty-Flasks-NIB-/370536833806?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5645b7630e

-adrian

Simon Howes

Nov 18, 2011, 1:44:05 PM11/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Developer tank drained and flushed and refilled with new developer!

Etching tank bubbler pipe reconnected!

Simon Howes

Nov 18, 2011, 2:21:10 PM11/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Quick update - also looks like I fixed the heater in the etch tank.

Developing now takes 30 seconds
And etching 5mins

Dont go over - these are really fast now!

Adrian Godwin

Nov 18, 2011, 7:48:06 PM11/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Cheers. what was wrong with it ?

I was thinking we might have to transplant a heater from one of the other tanks.

-adrian

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 7:21 PM, Simon Howes