Travelling to CCCCamp

Ben Blundell

May 24, 2011, 6:24:43 AM5/24/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys. Thanks to lack of job and annoying freelance payment issues, I'm wondering about cheap travel to CCC. so far I have 4 options:

1) flying
2) train (Seat 61, Deutsche Bahn)
3) Motorcycle (through the channel tunnel or Ferry)
4) Hitch-hike

Personally, I prefer the last two (fancy having some fun). Im up in Preston and fortunately, there are plenty of trucks going from here (lots of vegetables around here) and also, the bike is in good shape (ish). I reckon it'll be at least 5 tanks of petrol at around £15 a stop to get there one way + channel tunnel fees. I think its about 900 miles so I'd need to stop at least twice (pitch up tent somewhere or sleep rough with bike).

Just wondered how other people were getting there? Now the hackvan has gone missing i guess things might have changed.
Ben

(>) SECTION9 * Benjamin Blundell
(>) b...@section9.co.uk * www.section9.co.uk
(>) Code, Design, Graphic, Web

Glen

May 24, 2011, 12:59:54 PM5/24/11
to London Hackspace
The plan was to fill the hackvan with members then pay for one van
ferry crossing. But alas we don't know where the Hackvan is. If
someone can source a mini bus then it would allow a group of people to
pool their money and travel cheaply.

Glen

Mike

May 25, 2011, 4:54:19 AM5/25/11
On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 09:59:54AM -0700, Glen wrote:
> The plan was to fill the hackvan with members then pay for one van
> ferry crossing. But alas we don't know where the Hackvan is. If
> someone can source a mini bus then it would allow a group of people to
> pool their money and travel cheaply.
>
> Glen

We should have put a bloody GPS in that thing.

Mike.

signature.asc

Ben Blundell

May 25, 2011, 4:58:27 AM5/25/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I've not ordered my ticket yet. Waiting for Manchester Uni finance office to sort themselves out and pay me. When I do I think maybe hiring a van is not such a bad idea.

Ben

samthetechie

May 25, 2011, 8:26:02 AM5/25/11
to London Hackspace
Erm are you saying it has gone missing? :/

samthetechie

May 25, 2011, 8:36:32 AM5/25/11
to London Hackspace
Ok so I have just read the wiki / seen the crime number etc. That
sucks :(
I would very much like to install some form of LoJack in the next
HackVan.
I am just about to book holiday so I can come to CCC. #win

Sam

Ken Boak

May 25, 2011, 8:40:42 AM5/25/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
There are a lot of thefts of Japanese vans - regardless of condition

It's the engines that they are after - which are taken out and shipped to China, where they are used to maintain Chinese vans.

I'm forever having low life scum knocking on my door asking me about my Toyota van.

Ken

Jasper Wallace

May 25, 2011, 10:22:27 AM5/25/11
On Tue, 24 May 2011, Ben Blundell wrote:

> Just wondered how other people were getting there? Now the hackvan has gone missing i guess things might have changed.

I'll be in .ch so i'll be traveling to ccccamp by train (quite nice
timeing with an overnight sleeper). Not sure when/how i'm getting back
tho, I'm tempted to stay a few days and help with the tidy up and maybe
see some of Berlin before i come back.

--
[http://pointless.net/] [0x2ECA0975]

Ben Blundell

May 25, 2011, 4:48:59 PM5/25/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
There was a list on the wiki of people interested in going. Im wondering if getting some real numbers is a good idea about now? Im certainly up for driving people if we can sort a van out.

Ben