[Biohacking] IMPORTANT? DIYBIO EUROPEAN CONGRESS

Sara Tocchetti

Apr 2, 2011, 6:46:23 PM4/2/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi yous!
here a short news, on the 8th of may DIYbio boston has called for a European meeting of DIYbio more info down in the e-mail, I don't know how much this event per se coul interest you (let me know if you plan to go) but in any case it will be a pretty unique moment to have all these interesting people in London, what about organising a DIYbio/biohacking Saturday preceding the event on the line, share tools and projects?

we could discuss about this this Wednesday + party the almost finished electrophoresis gel box (thanks Bugs for the shopping..:)! should discuss about this too)

have a very nice evening and see you on Wednesday!
sara

Overview
DIYbio.org is organizing a series of events in 2011, where we will bring together delegates from DIYbio regional groups to collaborate on the development a draft DIYbio code that may serve as a framework for helping us achieve a vibrant, productive and safe global community of DIYbio practitioners, regional groups, and community labs.

European Congress, May 2011
The first congress will be held in London in May 2011.  We are inviting existing DIYbio groups in Europe to each send up to 2 delegates to the one-day event, including:

(2) London, UK
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/diybio-london

(3) Manchester, UK
http://diybiomcr.tumblr.com/

(4) Paris, France
http://bio.tmplab.org/

(5) Ireland
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/diybio-ireland
(organized by Cathal)

(6) Hackteria (Switzerland)

Draft Agenda
Exact time and location are still to be determined, but we expect the congress to be held some time between May 7 - May 10.  A draft agenda

09:00am: Coffee
09:30am: Welcome & Objectives, Jason Bobe
10:00am: Six flash talks by delegate from each regional group
10:30am: Future of DIYbio scenario planning workshop, facilitated by Noah Flower
11:30am: What are codes?  Why code? By Brian Rappert (Exeter University)
12:15pm: Lunch & Coffee
01:15pm: Coding Workshop, Session 1
02:30pm: Break
03:00pm: Coding Workshop, Session 2
04:00pm: Reconvene and Discussion, Choosing Elements of Code
06:00pm: Adjourn

We have a professional facilitator (Noah Flower) and we will have a professional “graphic recorder” capturing the discussions.

Delegate Nomination Process
It is up to each regional DIYbio group to nominate 1 or 2 delegates to send to the congress.  It is important that these delegates be willing to do several hours of preparation in advance of the congress and come to the ready to work and contribute for a full day.  Limited travel scholarships are available.

North American Congress, June 2011
We will repeat the exercise at a second congress to be held in San Francisco in June 2011.  We are inviting existing DIYbio groups in North America to each send up to 2 delegates to the one-day event.  Exact time and location are still to be determined, but we expect the congress to be held some time between June 10 - June 14.

Global Congress, July 2011
The codes generated from these two events will be published online for the global DIYbio community to review, discuss, and adopt.  From there, regional groups may choose to adapt a code that is most appropriate for their local group.