saw RAGE!!!!!!!

Simon Howes

Apr 21, 2011, 1:24:49 PM4/21/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Actually not a RAAAAGE post but a RAGE3 post (it's the name of my circular saw, the RAGE3).
I notice our bandsaw is dead again, and really sucked anyway.

This is the saw I use at home (if groups allows me to post a URL)...
It cuts wood like a circular saw, but it also cuts metal without any problems (I cut two big pieces of each in 30 seconds total)
The blade tilts, slides and miters.

It's 200 elizabeth the 2nds.
Pledge?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8s1W-m9wRk

Product page:http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/search/filter/rage+3/type/any/page/1

Hopefully posting URLS works or I'll look like a complete idiot if they're all turned into spaces.
My youtubename is simonhoweslol if thats the case, and its the only video.

RAAAGE3? yes?

Adrian Godwin

Jun 25, 2011, 6:32:06 PM6/25/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I just found a huge pile of blades for this type of saw in B&Q, being
sold off at £3 each. Since list price appears to be £30, this could be
a pretty good buy.

B&Q seem to be selling another model of saw, though oddly the only
other blades seemed to be Bosch.

-adrian

Niels

Jun 26, 2011, 3:54:14 PM6/26/11
to London Hackspace
Well, I tried to set up this

http://wiki.hackspace.org.uk/wiki/Pledges/Compound_Mitre_Saw

a while back. Not especially fussed which one we get....

What are the safeties like on the one you are proposing? - loose
blades are fun fun fun :-)

On Jun 25, 11:32 pm, Adrian Godwin <artgod...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just found a huge pile of blades for this type of saw in B&Q, being
> sold off at £3 each. Since list price appears to be £30, this could be
> a pretty good buy.
>
> B&Q seem to be selling another model of saw, though oddly the only
> other blades seemed to be Bosch.
>
> -adrian

Adrian Godwin

Jun 26, 2011, 5:40:33 PM6/26/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I wasn't proposing a different one - just pointing out that there are
some cheap replacement blades available for that one for a short time.
Probably only useful to Simon as the pledge unfortunately doesn't seem
to have attracted many promises.

-adrian

Kal

Aug 16, 2011, 4:32:52 AM8/16/11
to London Hackspace
http://www.screwfix.com/p/evolution-stealth-rage-3-s-210mm-multipurpose-sliding-mitre-saw-240v/30050

sexy :)

On Jun 26, 10:40 pm, Adrian Godwin <artgod...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I wasn't proposing a different one - just pointing out that there are
> some cheap replacement blades available for that one for a short time.
> Probably only useful to Simon as the pledge unfortunately doesn't seem
> to have attracted many promises.
>
> -adrian
>
> On 6/26/11, Niels <malmesbury13...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Well, I tried to set up this
>
> >http://wiki.hackspace.org.uk/wiki/Pledges/Compound_Mitre_Saw
>
> > a while back. Not especially fussed which one we get....
>
> > What are the safeties like on the one you are proposing? - loose
> > blades are fun fun fun :-)
>
> > On Jun 25, 11:32 pm, Adrian Godwin <artgod...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I just found a huge pile of blades for this type of saw in B&Q, being
> >> sold off at £3each. Since list price appears to be £30, this could be

Elliot West

Aug 16, 2011, 5:12:43 AM8/16/11
On 16 August 2011 09:32, Kal <lamb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.screwfix.com/p/evolution-stealth-rage-3-s-210mm-multipurpose-sliding-mitre-saw-240v/30050
>
> sexy :)

"Special edition matt black mitre saw. Features limited edition, blue
laser cutting guide"

Sweet!

Sam Cook

Aug 16, 2011, 5:26:46 AM8/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Can we buy this now?

Although not all the pledges are in we can afford the one that kal linked to

Nigel Worsley

Aug 16, 2011, 5:29:37 AM8/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
> Although not all the pledges are in we can afford the one that kal linked

It may be worth waiting for the rest of the money. That is the baby version
of the saw, it uses a 210mm blade instead of 255mm.

Nigle

Simon Howes

Aug 16, 2011, 5:35:46 AM8/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Bummer. Smaller blade = less cutting area.
And you'll always want the max cutting area

Sam Cook

Aug 16, 2011, 7:17:49 AM8/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
That makes sense and bigger blade == more fun.

in that case: people pay up your pledges!

Errant

Aug 17, 2011, 1:39:41 AM8/17/11
to London Hackspace
My brother has the Rage, I believe he's been very happy with it.

Law Hutch

Apr 5, 2014, 7:23:29 AM4/5/14
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, simonh...@googlemail.com
I was tempted to have a go at fixing the existing chop saw but Henry kindly informed be it would be a waste of time, I then saw this pledge, I am not sure it Rage/Evo is a brand I would have chosen personally but if members can testify to the quality then I am happy to go Rage.

For me the most important thing is not speed of cut but accuracy of cut, I know some of the cheaper brands have considerable play in the their mechanisms and the fact that we are looking at a sliding chop saw makes sturdiness a potential issue. I think ability to cut steel is more due to the blade and perhaps lower RPM. I think I read a forum once that people even complained DeWalt sliding chop saws had too much play for their liking.

Whilst doing a bit of research on the Rage3 I found they selling at the moment for £50 (110v versions), brand new and with free delivery from Screwfix or refurbished from Evoloution on Ebay for around £80 to £100, free delivery with 3 month warranty. Since we were expecting to pay £204 its quite a saving.

I suspect everyone is getting rid of the RAGE3 at knock down problems as RAGE4 is probably about to be released or less likely because there are reliability issues/high number of returns..

I then googled a bit more and found this....

http://www.screwfix.com/p/evolution-rage-3-255mm-compound-sliding-mitre-saw-110v/46110#     Only £50 for 110v version including VAT and delivery (if we spend a penny more)

If there is a spare 110V transformer in Hackspace we have a bargain... and a chop saw, we could use surplus pledge money to but a spare blade and perhaps parts to get the planer/thicknesser fully working again (around £80).

 If you check out the Evolution refurb shop on Ebay there are options for different voltages, blade sizes, sliding and/or compound saw options. My personal choice would be as large a blade as possible, (minimum 255mm) non sliding (we dont think we need a sliding chop saw as we have Skillsaw and table saw for large pieces) and compound mitre cuts would be advantageous...

Right, I am off to the fabulous craft beer festival for my 2nd visit this week, if you like craft ale get yourself down to the Craft Ale Co, in Clapham Manor street....

Lawrie

Russ Garrett

Apr 5, 2014, 8:08:34 AM4/5/14
to London Hack Space
For reference - this thread is nearly three years old. In the time
since this thread was posted, we have purchased and broken two rage3
saws. The first one had a good run, but eventually succumbed to wear
and tear. The second one was a little bit more suspect - it suffered
from one or (likely) both of: a manufacturing fault and significant
abuse by a user.

On 5 April 2014 12:23, Law Hutch <lawrie....@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was tempted to have a go at fixing the existing chop saw but Henry kindly
> informed be it would be a waste of time, I then saw this pledge, I am not
> sure it Rage/Evo is a brand I would have chosen personally but if members
> can testify to the quality then I am happy to go Rage.

I'm not sure about "testify to the quality", but I am happy to
consider a Rage saw a consumable in the Hackspace. They are
well-priced, they're reasonably well-built, they work well, and they
are fairly resilient to people cutting anything with them. The
expected life of one in the hackspace is probably no more than 18
months, at which point it's usually most economical to buy a new one.

> Whilst doing a bit of research on the Rage3 I found they selling at the
> moment for £50 (110v versions), brand new and with free delivery from
> Screwfix or refurbished from Evoloution on Ebay for around £80 to £100, free
> delivery with 3 month warranty. Since we were expecting to pay £204 its
> quite a saving.

I think we have a spare 110V transformer with Phil's name on it, so
this could well be a very good deal. At £50 I am happy to cover it
from the workshop consumables budget, if we agree this is a good plan.

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk