Hackcat

Robin

Oct 16, 2011, 6:22:53 AM10/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I would discourage the acquisition of a hackcat for a number of reasons:

1) the hackspace contains heavy equipment, sharp things, floors with metal filings and shards, and is generally a space where it would be easy for a cat to damage itself.

2) vet bills are expensive. The cat would need to be spayed or neutered to prevent it breeding, and ongoing care costs if it hurt itself or got ill could run into many hundreds of pounds.

3) cats shit and vomit in surprising places.

4) I, like many other people, have a cat allergy.

5) it seems the idea of a hackcat is being treated as a tool rather than a living creature that needs care.

6) Someone would need to guarantee that there would be clean water available 24/7 for the cat. Similarly, adequate regularly provided food would need to be put down, and cleaned up.

7) Someone would need to take responsibility for checking in on the cat's health regularly.

I really do think it would be irresponsible to bring a cat to the space.

Robin

Mark Steward

Oct 16, 2011, 6:27:20 AM10/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I take this to imply you're comfortable with the plans that involve wasps, honey buzzards and cane toads?

Mark

Simon Howes

Oct 16, 2011, 6:40:17 AM10/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Why not release hungry wasps into the space that have first been sterilized by a suitable dose of radiation? That way they'll auto-expire once the cleanup is done and not reproduce in the space.

phil jones

Oct 16, 2011, 6:55:04 AM10/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I still favour my original suggestion of a roach-eating robot.

r.j.bra...@gmail.com

Oct 16, 2011, 7:09:44 AM10/16/11
to London Hackspace
Well, they seemed a little less likely to happen...

Oct 16, 2011, 7:28:55 AM10/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'm certain if we had a hackcat, it would get lots of loves,
especially if it shits rainbows.

On 16 October 2011 12:09, r.j.bra...@googlemail.com

--

++++++++++[>+>+++>++
+++++>++++++++++<<<<
-]>>>+++++++.>++++++
+++++.+++..---------
.++++++++++.<<+++.<.

James Heaver

Oct 16, 2011, 7:51:21 AM10/16/11
On 16 Oct 2011, at 11:22, Robin <r.j.bra...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

I would discourage the acquisition of a hackcat for a number of reasons:
And how would you make the "Do not hack" sticker stay on?

Richard Fine

Oct 16, 2011, 7:53:30 AM10/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

I think the problem of how to attach some kind of text to some kind of
cat is already well-solved, no?

- Richard

Martin

Oct 16, 2011, 9:23:00 AM10/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
maybe we should make it carry the jumbotron arround with it at all times

Monty

Oct 16, 2011, 9:45:02 AM10/16/11
to London Hackspace
We can get one of those hairless moggies and tattoo it with a Do Not
Hack sign. Added benefit of no hairs to clean up, which is the most
common trigger of cat allergy in people.

Darren McDonald

Oct 16, 2011, 12:28:56 PM10/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

And what exactly is wrong with a cybernetic cat?

James Heaver

Oct 16, 2011, 12:38:05 PM10/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, london-h...@googlegroups.com

Have you ever tried to patch a cat? They dont like it. They see you get the USB stick out, and they don't like where you put it.

And having an unpatched cybernetic cat running around is just a security risk.

Darren McDonald

Oct 16, 2011, 12:43:22 PM10/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

> And having an unpatched cybernetic cat running around is just a security risk.

It's ok, I've thought of that. The cat will run linux and sshd, and
it'll have wireless. We'll just ssh into the cat and run apt-get
upgrade.

Richard Fine

Oct 16, 2011, 12:56:35 PM10/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

No need for cat5 cables then?

Martin

Oct 16, 2011, 1:16:58 PM10/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
nah, we'd upload everything using netcat

Oct 16, 2011, 1:23:22 PM10/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Maybe we can teach it to communicate through morse code.

Adrian Godwin

Oct 16, 2011, 1:39:16 PM10/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Mouse code ?