UK Hack Camp 2012

Russ Garrett

Aug 16, 2011, 8:44:20 PM8/16/11
to London Hack Space, leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com, uk-hac...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

Listening to peoples' stories coming back from the Chaos Communication
Camp this week only reinforces what we've already been thinking about.
We're going to organise a UK hacker camp in 2012, and it will be
awesome, but we need everyone's help.

Please join our mailing list here:
http://groups.google.com/group/uk-hack-camp/subscribe

And contribute to our wiki page here:
http://wiki.hackspace.org.uk/wiki/Project:UK_Hack_Camp

If we all work together it will be tremendous, so please lend us a hand.

Cheers!

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Tim Hutt

Aug 16, 2011, 8:53:05 PM8/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, uk-hac...@googlegroups.com, leeds-ha...@googlegroups.com

Any rough idea on time/location? Presumably summer...?

Russ Garrett

Aug 16, 2011, 8:57:20 PM8/16/11
On 17 August 2011 01:53, Tim Hutt <tdh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Any rough idea on time/location? Presumably summer...?

Time is (*very* provisionally) the Late Summer Bank Holiday 2012, i.e.
two weeks and one year away.

Location is, of course, the big problem. We need somewhere
sufficiently isolated but yet sufficiently well-connected to the
internet. This is what we need help with.

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Mike Pountney

Aug 17, 2011, 2:37:03 AM8/17/11
to uk-hac...@googlegroups.com, london-h...@googlegroups.com
One suggestion would be The Bunker in Ash, Kent - http://thebunker.net - provided they haven't started building the planned phase 2 data centre by that point, there's a fair amount of green space and quite a nice view. Certainly has oodles of transit and power.

They also have a couple of other sites, but I've not visited them so can't say how suitable they'd be.

Anyone particularly friendly with Adam or Ben Laurie? I think they are still connected with it, if from a distance.

Also, I seem to remember Dorkbot doing a dork camp type thing a couple of years ago - does anyone know where that was hosted?

Count me in on helping making this happen, I'll rally the troops at BuildBrighton on Thurs.

Mike

Adrian Godwin

Aug 17, 2011, 2:47:36 AM8/17/11

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 7:37 AM, Mike Pountney <mike.p...@gmail.com> wrote:

Also, I seem to remember Dorkbot doing a dork camp type thing a couple of years ago - does anyone know where that was hosted?

It was here : http://www.dorsetadventure.co.uk/

Great location, but limited to about 20 people indoors and 30 in tents. There was a standard domestic ADSL connection and very poor phone coverage from most networks so you couldn't really supplement it with 3G.

-adrian

Russ Garrett

Aug 17, 2011, 4:11:35 AM8/17/11
to uk-hac...@googlegroups.com, london-h...@googlegroups.com
(Trying to shift this conversation to uk-hac...@googlegroups.com,
sign up here: http://groups.google.com/group/uk-hack-camp/subscribe)

On 17 August 2011 07:37, Mike Pountney <mike.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
> One suggestion would be The Bunker in Ash, Kent - http://thebunker.net -
> provided they haven't started building the planned phase 2 data centre by
> that point, there's a fair amount of green space and quite a nice view.
> Certainly has oodles of transit and power.
>
> They also have a couple of other sites, but I've not visited them so can't
> say how suitable they'd be.
>
> Anyone particularly friendly with Adam or Ben Laurie? I think they are still
> connected with it, if from a distance.

Good idea - we're fairly well acquainted with Ben Laurie so we can get in touch.

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Mark Steward

Aug 17, 2011, 4:11:41 AM8/17/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 7:37 AM, Mike Pountney <mike.p...@gmail.com> wrote:

Anyone particularly friendly with Adam or Ben Laurie? I think they are still connected with it, if from a distance.

AIUI, only Ben's involved these days.  His contact details are pretty easy to get hold of.

Also, I seem to remember Dorkbot doing a dork camp type thing a couple of years ago - does anyone know where that was hosted?

BarnCamp (hacktivist stuff) apparently gets quite good internet on the Welsh border - anyone got a contact?  (I think Wales may difficult to get to for too many people, but their experience would be good.)

Mark

Martin

Aug 17, 2011, 12:18:48 PM8/17/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I think the barncamp area is only on a 10Meg home adsl line, they just set up a single access point, which is ok for 30 people, when we start getting larger numbers though, I think its gunna struggle.  Also the remote area would make it very difficult to organise there.  I will try to get in contact with them though to make sure