Caledonian Park Clock Personification

Alfie

Oct 3, 2011, 2:57:51 AM10/3/11
to London Hackspace
Hi all,

I recently took over the caretaking of Caledonian Park Clock:
https://caledonianparkclock.wordpress.com/ ; http://twitter.com/callyclock
Ostensibly this is so that it is wound weekly and the correct time
kept. It's kind of part of my Stopped Clocks project: http://moblog.net/stopped

I am going to be doing various things within to get the clock talking
and receiving, plans so far are:

RFID: upon exit tweets that the clock has been wound by a specific
person
Arduino RF sensor: tweets when the counterweight has dropped to the
level where it needs to be wound
Arduino/LED Morse Code: LED's to be installed around the circumference
of the N/S/W/E facing clock faces which pulse in morse code allowing
people to send messages across London via line of sight
Wind speed/direction sensing: the tower is 155ft high and there are
almost no baffles around it as it is in the center of the park, making
it an ideal alternative MET Office data source for wind measurement.
Webcam view from the summit

I've installed a FOXCONN 330i running a barebones WIN7 with 120GB SATA
and 2GB DDR and a 3 dongle (it's been up and running only 24 hours but
connectivity seems robust) to handle things.

Essentially we have pretty much free rein to do whatever we'd like as
long as we don't make structural changes to the building, so I think
it's a wicked opportunity to create a sort of Avatar of London. My
processing/Arduino skills are pretty shoddy as I'm only now starting
to learn, but I'm pretty hands-on generally. I'm sending this out on
the group in the event that anyone would like to get involved in any
aspect, come and check out the clock and generally muck in!

Cheers,

Alfie.

tom

Oct 3, 2011, 4:55:49 AM10/3/11
to London Hackspace
I see the white glass is translucent, wouldnt it make a cool rear-
projection surface?

Mike Pountney

Oct 3, 2011, 5:42:33 AM10/3/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Wow, what a great story - excellent work Alfie.

/me goes off looking for similar buildings around Brighton...

Glen

Oct 3, 2011, 6:18:33 AM10/3/11
to London Hackspace
Replace the weight with a chain climbing robot of equal weight.

Dirk-Willem van Gulik

Oct 3, 2011, 6:34:42 AM10/3/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Which is powered by a small rain water fed turbine. **

** Man - topposting is HARD

tom

Oct 3, 2011, 10:01:08 AM10/3/11
to London Hackspace
stick a captive wifi portal in the top that only serves media relating
to the history of the clocktower :)

On Oct 3, 11:34 am, Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>

Dirk-Willem van Gulik

Oct 3, 2011, 10:01:57 AM10/3/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
And an NTP server of course !

Dw.

James Mastros

Oct 3, 2011, 10:52:26 AM10/3/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Re the LEDs in the faces:
1: Make them PWM based upon the frequency of people tweeting some
specific keywords.
2: Colour-code them by keyword.
3: Get a database of placenames of the united kingdom. Bin them based
on if they are N/S/W/E of the clock, light each face according to how
often people mention those keywords. (Consider normalizing by
population, or so that the regions average the same light level across
a week -- there's a lot more n and w of london then s and e of it.)
4: Light blue when it's cold (up there), and red when hot.
5: Stick in a reasonably complete APRS weather station -- altitude,
pressure, humidity, temperature, wind speed and direction. Rainfall
might be difficult.

More seriously, you should check if dynamicly lighting the clock will
confuse pilots -- I don't know about the UK, but in the US, you are
supposed ask the FAA and FCC how your tower should be lit if it is
sufficently high. Also, consider your power budget / where the power
for the lights and funky internet-connected devices are coming from.
If you are considering lights powerful enough to be seen from a
significant distance, then they will soak up significant amounts of
power.

-=- James Mastros / theorbtwo

Alfie

Oct 3, 2011, 11:36:24 AM10/3/11
to London Hackspace
it would certainly look good - the fascias are canvases, what we do
with them I hope is varied but as someone raised below I'll need to
get UK guidance on what is allowed at that height and area.

Alfie

Oct 3, 2011, 11:37:55 AM10/3/11
to London Hackspace
Thanks! If you search the Stopped Clocks blog you'll definitely find
some start points in Brighton to look into. If you do find any clocks
of some grandeur that are stopped and are so because there simply
isn't anyone to wind them then, at least in my experience, the
councils are super happy to work with you as long as you can satisfy
the insurance stuff.

Alfie

Oct 3, 2011, 11:38:21 AM10/3/11
to London Hackspace
hahaha. Ill put it in if you guys make it.

On Oct 3, 11:34 am, Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>

Alfie

Oct 3, 2011, 11:40:44 AM10/3/11
to London Hackspace
Really good advice and yes indeed before we make an plans for any
lighting in the clock faces I'll get guidance on what's allowed. I
love your idea, despite or even because of it's whimsy.

James Mastros

Oct 3, 2011, 12:21:45 PM10/3/11
On 3 October 2011 16:40, Alfie <alf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Really good advice and yes indeed before we make an plans for any
> lighting in the clock faces I'll get guidance on what's allowed. I
> love your idea, despite or even because of it's whimsy.

For the record -- what's the ground level there, what's the altitude
of the faces, and what's the altitude of the tip?

tom

Oct 3, 2011, 12:27:20 PM10/3/11
to London Hackspace
I'd love to do some projection mapping on the faces, theres some
lovely clock-face lines to work with there :)

tom

Oct 3, 2011, 12:27:59 PM10/3/11
to London Hackspace
oh why not try and asses the general "mood" of tweets with
#caledonianroad in them? Set the clocktower colour based on that?

Nigel Worsley

Oct 3, 2011, 12:28:42 PM10/3/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
> For the record -- what's the ground level there

48M

> what's the altitude of the faces

At a rough guess from photos. about 27M

> and what's the altitude of the tip?

46M above ground.

It isn't listed as a navigational hazard or point of reference for aircraft purposes so it shouldn't be a problem to light it up.
But tell
the authorities anyway, it won't do any harm.

Nigle

Jasper Wallace

Oct 3, 2011, 1:19:07 PM10/3/11
to London Hackspace
On Sun, 2 Oct 2011, Alfie wrote:

> Hi all,

Hi,

> Essentially we have pretty much free rein to do whatever we'd like as
> long as we don't make structural changes to the building, so I think
> it's a wicked opportunity to create a sort of Avatar of London. My
> processing/Arduino skills are pretty shoddy as I'm only now starting
> to learn, but I'm pretty hands-on generally. I'm sending this out on
> the group in the event that anyone would like to get involved in any
> aspect, come and check out the clock and generally muck in!

I'd be interested in seeing the clock, and may be able to help do stuff to
it, but i don't know that i'd have time to do much with it. (I really
don't want to have to fight with win7).

I've been interested in adding a sensor to this lightning detector network
for while:

<http://www.blitzortung.org/Webpages/index.php?lang=en&page=2&subpage_0=3>

So if anyone's interested in weather station type things and wants to
split the costs etc.

--
[http://pointless.net/] [0x2ECA0975]

Billy

Oct 3, 2011, 1:33:47 PM10/3/11
to London Hackspace
from the looks of the photo's there are a lot of high-set vents that
would allow good airflow.

We wouldn't necessarily be allowed to fit anything externally, but
fitting wind turbines internally might work.

Can we go have a look at the place sometime?

Alfie

Oct 4, 2011, 2:56:24 AM10/4/11
to London Hackspace
No need to fight with Win7 - more than happy to run Linux on there but
wanted to be able to get something in there snappy that I could work
with, not being a Linux bod myself. The lightning detector looks
amazing and I'm happy to cover the costs if you want to work on it.

Alfie

Oct 4, 2011, 2:58:34 AM10/4/11
to London Hackspace
Unfortunately to ameliorate rain/storm damage all the vents you see
are actually covered with polycarbonate sheeting. I think there are a
few others interested in coming up to the tower and taking a look so
let's convene and figure out a convenient time for us all to go
together. I tend to go on Sundays but am flexible. I'm heading to
hackspace this evening so if anyone would like to chat I'll be there!
You'll likely best recognise me by a full sleeve left arm tattoo.

Tweaker

Oct 4, 2011, 9:26:36 AM10/4/11
to London Hackspace
Hi,
I'm interested in the lightning detector being established there.
Could we maybe have one at the Hackspace as well?
I had a brief informal chat with Billy last night that we could put
the windspeed data from the spinning wheels on the balcony on line/
local logging with bicycle wireless sensor(s),
using an Arduino/Nanode,of course.
Perhaps we could integrate other meterological parameters at the
space,incl. lightning?

Alfie

Oct 8, 2011, 1:33:10 AM10/8/11
to London Hackspace
There are 4 of us meeting at the clock tower at 11:30am on Sunday, all
welcome to join us of course.

SheraDreaming

Oct 8, 2011, 7:03:12 PM10/8/11
to London Hackspace
Hi guys, I can't make it to this but maybe the confused Alice in
Wonderland watch could use a quirky cousin?

Like here:
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~rgs/alice-VII.html

have fun, this is a great project.

Jasper Wallace

Nov 13, 2011, 12:20:52 PM11/13/11
to Alfie, London Hackspace
On Mon, 3 Oct 2011, Alfie wrote:

> No need to fight with Win7 - more than happy to run Linux on there but
> wanted to be able to get something in there snappy that I could work
> with, not being a Linux bod myself. The lightning detector looks
> amazing and I'm happy to cover the costs if you want to work on it.

Hi,

Sorry for taking ages on getting back to you, but if you want to buy one
of the lightning detector kits i'd be happy to build it!

--
[http://pointless.net/] [0x2ECA0975]