Clearing stuff out of the workshop

Mark Steward

Apr 2, 2011, 4:41:46 PM4/2/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

The workshop is almost unusable at the moment because of a huge amount of unnecessary matter that has arrived in the last couple of weeks.  This needs to be dealt with urgently, as it's stopping people keeping the place tidy, and that's hindering making use of the space.

I propose that we get rid of the following by *this* Tuesday:

1. The old multitouch table.  This has been discussed and agreed on before, but it's still here.  Also, the bike frame in front of it (nice try, but bikes don't belong in the space).

2. An enormous and weighty wooden step.  I can only assume this is another case of wombling - we don't need wood that badly.

3. The wakeboard.  Seriously.

4. A huge tower of shelves, which has to be seen to be believed.

5. The crappy Dell PCs that were donated by the place across the road.

6. The caravan sink.  Bobby, if you'd like it, please reply before Tuesday.

As far as I can tell, only the PCs have even been mentioned as taking up space, and they're going on Monday.

Please reply to this email as soon as possible if you have a good reason for these items to be taking up space. Otherwise, they will be skipped/otherwise disposed of.  And repeat after me: "the hackspace does not need my junk..."

Cheers,
Mark

Billy

Apr 2, 2011, 7:01:58 PM4/2/11
to London Hackspace

Some of these were my finds.

> I propose that we get rid of the following by *this* Tuesday:
>
> 1. The old multitouch table.  This has been discussed and agreed on before,
> but it's still here.  Also, the bike frame in front of it (nice try, but
> bikes don't belong in the space).
>
> 2. An enormous and weighty wooden step.  I can only assume this is another
> case of wombling - we don't need wood that badly.

It was matched by another one that was later chopped up. :(

Paired together, they were great for cutting large slabs of wood, and
they had a lovely bass rumble when using a jigsaw. I think that the
neighbours must love these things... :))

On it's own, it's just more timber to be used.

> 3. The wakeboard.  Seriously.

I found that. Had no idea what it was. If it's useful to someone, then
cool, otherwise it's taking up space, we can fill with future
wombling...

> 4. A huge tower of shelves, which has to be seen to be believed.
>
> 5. The crappy Dell PCs that were donated by the place across the road.

They're going on Monday.

> 6. The caravan sink.  Bobby, if you'd like it, please reply before Tuesday.
>
> For images and links, please seehttp://wiki.hackspace.org.uk/wiki/User:Ms7821/London-junk-space.
>

> And repeat after me: "the hackspace does not need my junk..."

Absolutely right. The hackspace needs useful raw materials...

kev

Apr 2, 2011, 7:50:52 PM4/2/11
to London Hackspace
On Apr 2, 9:41 pm, Mark Steward <markstew...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 4. A huge tower of shelves, which has to be seen to be believed.

I think out of the things on the list, these are the most useful. More
useable storage space would help keep the place tidy. We do still have
a lot of genuinely useful equipment which is not organised and is just
dumped at the side. If these were put in little storage cubicles so
people could find them (like has just been done with the drills) then
I think that would be an improvement. We possibly dont need quite as
many shelves as in that tower however...
Kevin

Sci

Apr 2, 2011, 8:01:28 PM4/2/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

bobby

Apr 2, 2011, 8:02:40 PM4/2/11
to London Hackspace

> 6. The caravan sink.  Bobby, if you'd like it, please reply before Tuesday.

Hi I had a look at it but it is too big for my counter-top so bin bin
away! Or if it's
there the next time I am, I'll bin it myself.

best regards
Bobby w

bobby

Apr 2, 2011, 8:14:55 PM4/2/11
to London Hackspace

> 1. The old multitouch table.  This has been discussed and agreed on before,
> but it's still here.  Also, the bike frame in front of it (nice try, but
> bikes don't belong in the space).

if nobody wants the bike frame (the one in the photo) I will hack off
the bottom bracket and rear-triangle for my pedal-powered-boat
project. I will do this on tuesday as I live in middx and can't get to
the space any sooner unfortunately. I'll bin the rest of the frame.

Bobs

Mark Steward

Apr 2, 2011, 8:27:52 PM4/2/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, Billy
On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 12:01 AM, Billy <bi...@billycomputersmith.com> wrote:
> 2. An enormous and weighty wooden step.  I can only assume this is another
> case of wombling - we don't need wood that badly.

It was matched by another one that was later chopped up. :(

Paired together, they were great for cutting large slabs of wood, and
they had a lovely bass rumble when using a jigsaw. I think that the
neighbours must love these things... :))

On it's own, it's just more timber to be used.

Good point - I might try to make some trestles next week (not exactly a substitute, but lighter).

Elliot West

Apr 2, 2011, 8:41:21 PM4/2/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for bringing this up - I know of a fair few people who are quite disheartened by the state of unit 23.

If you don't ask on the list before bringing in something large then you're not being courteous to other members and such behaviour is IMHO unexcellent. We have a shared space and it's not cool to fill it up without consulting others.

As far as the hackspace is concerned I believe that empty space is more valuable than random stuff that might be useful in X months time. There is a guide for anyone who is considering bringing something to the space:
In summary: always seek permission before bringing anything large to the space.

Billy

Apr 2, 2011, 9:33:14 PM4/2/11
to London Hackspace

Just to make sure i'm not giving the wrong impression, I'm not
advocating that we throw away everything. Just as i'm not saying that
we should keep everything we find.

This is London. The streets are paved with rubbish!

Unless you want a house or a hackspace filled with so much stuff you
can't move, then you've got to be picky.

Good thing is, we can afford to be picky.

Keep the useful and the high quality material. Use the things we can
use immediately. Turf the rest.

There'll be more along tomorrow...

On Apr 3, 1:41 am, Elliot West <tea...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for bringing this up - I know of a fair few people who are quite
> disheartened by the state of unit 23.
>
> If you don't ask on the list before bringing in something large then you're
> not being courteous to other members and such behaviour is IMHO
> unexcellent. We have a shared space and it's not cool to fill it up without
> consulting others.
>
> As far as the hackspace is concerned I believe that empty space is more
> valuable than random stuff that might be useful in X months time. There is a
> guide for anyone who is considering bringing something to the space:
>
> http://wiki.hackspace.org.uk/wiki/Guides/Bringing_items_to_the_space
>
> In summary: always seek permission before bringing anything large to the
> space.

tom

Apr 3, 2011, 5:33:07 AM4/3/11
to London Hackspace
And apologies for not warning people about the traffic light, I'll be
working on it this week and hopefully shipping it home by next
weekend :)

Dave Durant

Apr 3, 2011, 8:26:55 PM4/3/11
to London Hackspace

> If you don't ask on the list before bringing in something large then you're not being
> courteous to other members and such behaviour is IMHO unexcellent.

Fair do's - on that note I intend to bring in the following things
sometime this week:

1) Two rackmount fibre-disk shelves + two boxes of HDs. People have
already said they want these so they should disappear fairly quickly.

2) One currently dead Mac with the hope that some kind soul will
assess quickly whether it's fixable or permanently deceased. Either
way I'll take it away again in a couple of weeks.

3) A fairly hefty block of word (about 1.5 x 1m). I'm going to check
tomorrow that there's somewhere out-of-the-way where it can be put
before I turn up with it.

Billy

Apr 4, 2011, 4:29:59 AM4/4/11
to London Hackspace
If you see them, please say thanks to Adam and Phil who were tidying
the workshop last night.

Mark Steward

Apr 4, 2011, 4:33:17 AM4/4/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, Dave Durant
On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 1:26 AM, Dave Durant <chol...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you don't ask on the list before bringing in something large then you're not being
> courteous to other members and such behaviour is IMHO unexcellent.

Fair do's - on that note I intend to bring in the following things
sometime this week:

1) Two rackmount fibre-disk shelves + two boxes of HDs. People have
already said they want these so they should disappear fairly quickly.

I didn't see this discussion (unlikely, I know).  Whose responsibility will the rackmounts become?

2) One currently dead Mac with the hope that some kind soul will
assess quickly whether it's fixable or permanently deceased. Either
way I'll take it away again in a couple of weeks.

I hate to be rude, but this ought to be managed carefully.  Why do you think it will take so long to diagnose?  Is it a laptop or desktop system?  Do you have a box at the space?

3) A fairly hefty block of word (about 1.5 x 1m). I'm going to check
tomorrow that there's somewhere out-of-the-way where it can be put
before I turn up with it.

As long as you're planning to do something with it.  Please remember to label it with your name and (ideally) contact details.

Mark

Martin Dittus

Apr 4, 2011, 4:57:54 AM4/4/11

On 4 Apr 2011, at 09:33, Mark Steward wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 1:26 AM, Dave Durant <chol...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> 2) One currently dead Mac with the hope that some kind soul will
> assess quickly whether it's fixable or permanently deceased. Either
> way I'll take it away again in a couple of weeks.
>
> I hate to be rude, but this ought to be managed carefully. Why do you think it will take so long to diagnose? Is it a laptop or desktop system? Do you have a box at the space?

I would argue that old/dead PCs are the first thing you should _never_ bring in. Unless there's a clear purpose to them.

Everybody has them, nobody needs them. And despite the demographic and skills overlap we're not a PC repair shop.

m.

Mike

Apr 4, 2011, 5:03:44 AM4/4/11
On Mon, Apr 04, 2011 at 09:33:17AM +0100, Mark Steward wrote:
> I didn't see this discussion (unlikely, I know). Whose responsibility will
> the rackmounts become?

Hi,

I posted on 26th March in an email entitled "UstoreIT", asking if anyone
objected to the shelfs being accomodated.

It is my intention, members consenting, to remove the shelves the
weekend after they arrive. Assuming that they arrive this week, as
stated in this thread, I plan to ship them out on Saturday 9th April.
Should anyone find this plan reprehensible, I shall endevour to make a
trip over the evening after they arrive in order to execute their
exfiltration.

I believe that there is another member after some other shelves though I
am unaware of his schedule for collection.

Regards,
Mike.

signature.asc

Mark Steward

Apr 4, 2011, 5:16:52 AM4/4/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, Mike
On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 10:03 AM, Mike <hack...@norgie.net> wrote:
On Mon, Apr 04, 2011 at 09:33:17AM +0100, Mark Steward wrote:
> I didn't see this discussion (unlikely, I know).  Whose responsibility will
> the rackmounts become?

Hi,

I posted on 26th March in an email entitled "UstoreIT", asking if anyone
objected to the shelfs being accomodated.

It is my intention, members consenting, to remove the shelves the
weekend after they arrive.  Assuming that they arrive this week, as
stated in this thread, I plan to ship them out on Saturday 9th April.
Should anyone find this plan reprehensible, I shall endevour to make a
trip over the evening after they arrive in order to execute their
exfiltration.

Oh right, that's fine.  I didn't spot the two emails were related as you sent them with different names and email addresses.

Mark

Mike

Apr 4, 2011, 5:50:18 AM4/4/11
On Mon, Apr 04, 2011 at 10:16:52AM +0100, Mark Steward wrote:

> Oh right, that's fine. I didn't spot the two emails were related as you
> sent them with different names and email addresses.

I did?

Mike.

signature.asc

Mark Steward

Apr 4, 2011, 6:04:51 AM4/4/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, Mike
Heh.  s/you/yous/

David Durant

Apr 4, 2011, 6:10:38 AM4/4/11
to Mark Steward, london-h...@googlegroups.com
> I didn't see this discussion (unlikely, I know).  Whose responsibility will the rackmounts become?

It was off-list. They're my responsibility till they get shifted.

>> 2) One currently dead Mac
>I hate to be rude, but this ought to be managed carefully.  Why do you think it will take so long to diagnose?  Is it a laptop or desktop system?  Do you have a box at the space?

It's a desktop but should fit under a table in the quiet room nicely. The two weeks is so hopefully there's enough time for someone to volunteer to help and fix it. If no-one does by the end of that time I'll remove it.

>> Wood
> As long as you're planning to do something with it.  Please remember to label it with your name and (ideally) contact details.

Sure.

SP00kY

Apr 4, 2011, 4:50:47 PM4/4/11
to London Hackspace

On Apr 4, 11:10 am, David Durant <d...@bowsy.co.uk> wrote:
> > I didn't see this discussion (unlikely, I know).  Whose responsibility
>
> will the rackmounts become?
>
> It was off-list. They're my responsibility till they get shifted.

Pretty sure (hopefully!) That I'm one of the people to move two of
those rackmount units ;)
I can do sometime this week during the evening or on the weekend.

Billy

Apr 4, 2011, 5:53:21 PM4/4/11
to London Hackspace

> >> 2) One currently dead Mac
> >I hate to be rude, but this ought to be managed carefully.  Why do you
>
> think it will take so long to diagnose?  Is it a laptop or desktop system?
>  Do you have a box at the space?
>
> It's a desktop but should fit under a table in the quiet room nicely. The
> two weeks is so hopefully there's enough time for someone to volunteer to
> help and fix it. If no-one does by the end of that time I'll remove it.

Depends on what's wrong with it. I might be able to help. Fixed G4's
and G5's before.