Michael Nielsen (open science) visit on September 5?

Irwin Zaid

Aug 29, 2011, 5:11:49 AM8/29/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, Michael Nielsen
Hi all,

Michael Nielsen, a theoretical physicist turned open science advocate,
is visiting Europe over the next few weeks and giving several talks
about Open Science. On September 5, he will be in London and is very
keen to see what is going on at the Hackspace. If there is enough
interest, he would also be glad to give a talk on Open Science. (He is
currently writing a book about the future of science.)

If you want to know more about him, you can watch his TEDx talk at
http://michaelnielsen.org/blog/open-science-2/. Also, you can read
Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Nielsen) and his blog
(http://michaelnielsen.org/blog/).

So I have two questions for everyone:

1) Are there people interested in showing off what they are doing? It
would be great to have representatives of various projects (software or
hardware, biohacking, whatever).

2) Are there enough people interested in hearing him speak that it is
worth organizing a talk? This is easy, we just need to know that there
would be people for it.

If there are positive answers to the above, please respond ASAP. These
would take place in the early evening. Thanks a lot!

Cheers,

Irwin

Wren Montgomery

Aug 29, 2011, 5:25:22 AM8/29/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Depending on which day of the week (or how much notice we have of the date), I'd certainly be interested.
Wren

Irwin Zaid

Aug 29, 2011, 5:28:38 AM8/29/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
... Evening of Monday, September 5? (See title and body.)

Irwin

On 11-08-29 11:25 AM, Wren Montgomery wrote:
> Depending on which day of the week (or how much notice we have of the
> date), I'd certainly be interested.
> Wren
>
> On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 10:11 AM, Irwin Zaid
> <irwin...@physics.ox.ac.uk <mailto:irwin...@physics.ox.ac.uk>> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> Michael Nielsen, a theoretical physicist turned open science
> advocate, is visiting Europe over the next few weeks and giving
> several talks about Open Science. On September 5, he will be in
> London and is very keen to see what is going on at the Hackspace. If
> there is enough interest, he would also be glad to give a talk on
> Open Science. (He is currently writing a book about the future of
> science.)
>
> If you want to know more about him, you can watch his TEDx talk at

> http://michaelnielsen.org/__blog/open-science-2/
> <http://michaelnielsen.org/blog/open-science-2/>. Also, you can read
> Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/__Michael_Nielsen
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Nielsen>) and his blog
> (http://michaelnielsen.org/__blog/ <http://michaelnielsen.org/blog/>).

Tim Richardson

Aug 29, 2011, 6:57:41 AM8/29/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Yep would love to join the discussion.
TimR

Kieran Kunhya

Aug 29, 2011, 9:01:03 AM8/29/11
to London Hackspace
Yes, but it will depend on the time.

Billy

Aug 29, 2011, 10:03:59 AM8/29/11
to London Hackspace
Add me in.

amx109

Aug 29, 2011, 12:56:28 PM8/29/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
me too

Amran

Mr Jack

Aug 29, 2011, 6:58:28 PM8/29/11
to London Hackspace
I'd be very interest in hearing this fella speak, indeed! And I can
think of at least one other so make that 2 very interested people at
least :-)

On Aug 29, 10:11 am, Irwin Zaid <irwin.z...@physics.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Michael Nielsen, a theoretical physicist turned open science advocate,
> is visiting Europe over the next few weeks and giving several talks
> about Open Science. On September 5, he will be in London and is very
> keen to see what is going on at the Hackspace. If there is enough
> interest, he would also be glad to give a talk on Open Science. (He is
> currently writing a book about the future of science.)
>
> If you want to know more about him, you can watch his TEDx talk athttp://michaelnielsen.org/blog/open-science-2/. Also, you can read

Rosie Waldron

Aug 30, 2011, 11:07:20 AM8/30/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'd be quite keen and I've mentioned it to people on my Science Communication course so hopefully that would bring in a couple of people...

Mike

Aug 31, 2011, 7:03:24 AM8/31/11
On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 07:03:59AM -0700, Billy wrote:
> Add me in.

AOL.

Mike.

signature.asc