Open day

Robert Leverington

Jul 24, 2011, 10:04:24 AM7/24/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

The open day is this weekend, we haven't done a huge amount of planning
for it, but that pretty much matches up with the format of the previous
open days which have all been very successful.

However:

At the moment the space is in a bit of a state, in particular the
workshop. Unfortunatley we didn't get a huge amount done at the
organisation day last weekend as we were doing two big infrastructure
projects at the same time.

I'm hoping we can at least improve this on Tuesday and Saturday.

Robert

Adrian Godwin

Jul 24, 2011, 10:19:44 AM7/24/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Do we have a flyer or other info page for the open day, suitable for
linking in an invitation ?

-adrian

Russ Garrett

Jul 24, 2011, 10:22:01 AM7/24/11

Facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=219617311402401

Wiki page: http://wiki.hackspace.org.uk/wiki/July_2011_Open_Day

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Cepmender

Jul 24, 2011, 5:39:37 PM7/24/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I have Thurs/Fri available this week to spend all day at the space. If anyone else wishes to make up a small work party with me then a lot of the tidying up could be done at a time when the space is less busy. This would leave Saturday to set up a few interesting things for our visitors to look at. :-)

Phil

Stephen Early

Jul 24, 2011, 8:00:09 PM7/24/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I plan to bring the beer and its cooling equipment over on Friday evening, probably about 7pm.  It would be very helpful if someone could be around to meet me with the parking permit (I really don't want to get clamped!) and help with shifting things upstairs.

I'll need a table where the two casks can be set up to settle and be undisturbed until they are served on Sunday.

Steve

Charles Yarnold

Jul 24, 2011, 8:02:47 PM7/24/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Is our existing beer fridge and pumping system not suitable?

Sadly the last of our parking permits has been taken and not returned, if this is still the case i'm sure we can send down a few guards to see off the clampers!

Sol

Stephen Early

Jul 24, 2011, 8:12:49 PM7/24/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
That's for serving beer from pressurised kegs.  The casks I'm bringing are real ale — no gas needed, just open the tap and let gravity do the rest!

The cooling equipment circulates cold water through metal pipes inside the casks to keep the beer cool.  If we don't insulate the outside of the casks, this also sets up convection which encourages the yeast in the beer to drop to the bottom of the cask faster than it would otherwise do so.  (At the Pembury festival, I had some casks on the festival bar be settled and ready to serve from in about 16 hours; it normally takes 24–72 hours in the cellar.)

If I can't park, I guess I'll have to unload quickly with some help, dump the car somewhere else and come back on the bus!

Steve

Mark Steward

Jul 24, 2011, 8:50:11 PM7/24/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
There's space for unloading in front of the lifts.  I don't think there would be any trouble if you're there for less than an hour.

Mark

Cepmender

Jul 24, 2011, 9:10:29 PM7/24/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
30 mins is the time allowed by the Geheim ACE Politzei....
If there is someone with the vehicle then there should be no drama, it`s difficult to fit a clamp to a moving vehicle.....

Sci

Jul 24, 2011, 9:20:30 PM7/24/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
We had trouble with that when unloading the sofa, drawers and so on. The
moment you're not unloading anymore, people seem to want you out.
Someone else here said the clampers tried to get them while they were
parked there after unloading.

You might think it reasonable, but the other drivers and the clampers
don't seem to agree.

On 25/07/2011 01:50, Mark Steward wrote:
> There's space for unloading in front of the lifts. I don't think there
> would be any trouble if you're there for less than an hour.
>
> Mark
>

> On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 1:12 AM, Stephen Early <s...@individualpubs.co.uk
> <mailto:s...@individualpubs.co.uk>> wrote:
>
> That's for serving beer from pressurised kegs. The casks I'm

> bringing are real ale � no gas needed, just open the tap and let

> gravity do the rest!
>
> The cooling equipment circulates cold water through metal pipes
> inside the casks to keep the beer cool. If we don't insulate the
> outside of the casks, this also sets up convection which encourages
> the yeast in the beer to drop to the bottom of the cask faster than
> it would otherwise do so. (At the Pembury festival, I had some
> casks on the festival bar be settled and ready to serve from in

> about 16 hours; it normally takes 24�72 hours in the cellar.)

Cepmender

Jul 24, 2011, 9:28:17 PM7/24/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Of course none of this would be an issue if the passes were returned in a timely fashion. How difficult is it guys? You know who you are....  Bring the sodding things back!!!

We had trouble with that when unloading the sofa, drawers and so on. The
moment you're not unloading anymore, people seem to want you out.
Someone else here said the clampers tried to get them while they were
parked there after unloading.

You might think it reasonable, but the other drivers and the clampers
don't seem to agree.

On 25/07/2011 01:50, Mark Steward wrote:
> There's space for unloading in front of the lifts.  I don't think there
> would be any trouble if you're there for less than an hour.
>
> Mark
>

> On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 1:12 AM, Stephen Early <s...@individualpubs.co.uk
> <mailto:s...@individualpubs.co.uk>> wrote:
>
>     That's for serving beer from pressurised kegs.  The casks I'm
>     bringing are real ale — no gas needed, just open the tap and let

>     gravity do the rest!
>
>     The cooling equipment circulates cold water through metal pipes
>     inside the casks to keep the beer cool.  If we don't insulate the
>     outside of the casks, this also sets up convection which encourages
>     the yeast in the beer to drop to the bottom of the cask faster than
>     it would otherwise do so.  (At the Pembury festival, I had some
>     casks on the festival bar be settled and ready to serve from in
>     about 16 hours; it normally takes 24–72 hours in the cellar.)

Sci

Jul 24, 2011, 10:32:40 PM7/24/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I think I've asked before; can't we get the existing passes cancelled
and get replacements since whoever it is apparently is NOT bringing them
back?
Just make people sign the damn things out and in, or work out some way
of tracking who actually has them. Maybe a lockbox hooked up to the
entry-card database?

On 25/07/2011 02:28, Cepmender wrote:
> Of course none of this would be an issue if the passes were returned in
> a timely fashion. How difficult is it guys? You know who you are....
> Bring the sodding things back!!!

Charles Yarnold

Jul 25, 2011, 1:49:07 AM7/25/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Well volunteered.

Tim Storey

Jul 25, 2011, 2:15:01 AM7/25/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Clampers aside I can be around to help I will be there by 7

Peter Hicks

Jul 25, 2011, 3:07:41 AM7/25/11
On Mon, 2011-07-25 at 02:10 +0100, Cepmender wrote:

> 30 mins is the time allowed by the Geheim ACE Politzei....
> If there is someone with the vehicle then there should be no drama,
> it`s difficult to fit a clamp to a moving vehicle.....

It's also tricky to clamp a vehicle which already has its wheels
clamped.

Just sayin'.

Poggs

--
Peter Hicks <peter...@poggs.co.uk>

tom

Jul 25, 2011, 5:38:42 AM7/25/11
to London Hackspace
A servo-locked box with rfid entry could be helpful for the laser
cutter keys too...
> > http://uk.mc275.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=...@individualpubs.co.uk>
> > >     > <mailto:s...@individualpubs.co.uk
> > >     <
> > http://uk.mc275.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=...@individualpubs.co.uk>>>

Sci

Jul 25, 2011, 7:48:46 AM7/25/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
My dad has a couple of those cheap electronic wall-safes apparently
spare. I'll see what he's looking at parting with them for.

I can probably scrounge up the parts, but would need someone else to do
the wiring and coding. I have enough projects on the go as it is.

On 25/07/2011 06:49, Charles Yarnold wrote:
> Well volunteered.
>
> On 25 July 2011 03:32, Sci <s...@sci-fi-fox.com

> <mailto:s...@sci-fi-fox.com>> wrote:
>
> I think I've asked before; can't we get the existing passes cancelled
> and get replacements since whoever it is apparently is NOT bringing them
> back?
> Just make people sign the damn things out and in, or work out some way
> of tracking who actually has them. Maybe a lockbox hooked up to the
> entry-card database?
>
> On 25/07/2011 02:28, Cepmender wrote:
> > Of course none of this would be an issue if the passes were
> returned in
> > a timely fashion. How difficult is it guys? You know who you are....
> > Bring the sodding things back!!!
> >
> > --- On *Mon, 25/7/11, Sci /<s...@sci-fi-fox.com

> <mailto:s...@sci-fi-fox.com>>/* wrote:

> > From: Sci <s...@sci-fi-fox.com <mailto:s...@sci-fi-fox.com>>
> > Subject: Re: [london-hack-space] Open day
> > To: london-h...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:london-h...@googlegroups.com>
> > Date: Monday, 25 July, 2011, 2:20
> >
> > We had trouble with that when unloading the sofa, drawers and
> so on. The
> > moment you're not unloading anymore, people seem to want you out.
> > Someone else here said the clampers tried to get them while
> they were
> > parked there after unloading.
> >
> > You might think it reasonable, but the other drivers and the
> clampers
> > don't seem to agree.
> >
> > On 25/07/2011 01:50, Mark Steward wrote:
> > > There's space for unloading in front of the lifts. I don't
> think
> > there
> > > would be any trouble if you're there for less than an hour.
> > >
> > > Mark
> > >

> > > On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 1:12 AM, Stephen Early

> > <s...@individualpubs.co.uk <mailto:s...@individualpubs.co.uk>

> > > bringing are real ale � no gas needed, just open the tap

> and let
> > > gravity do the rest!
> > >
> > > The cooling equipment circulates cold water through
> metal pipes
> > > inside the casks to keep the beer cool. If we don't
> insulate the
> > > outside of the casks, this also sets up convection which
> > encourages
> > > the yeast in the beer to drop to the bottom of the cask
> faster
> > than
> > > it would otherwise do so. (At the Pembury festival, I
> had some
> > > casks on the festival bar be settled and ready to serve
> from in

> > > about 16 hours; it normally takes 24�72 hours in the

tom

Jul 25, 2011, 7:55:06 AM7/25/11
to London Hackspace
I'll try and prepeare a nice slideshow to run on the giant phone, are
we going to schedule tours (need volunteers) or do it on an ad-hoc
basis? If we schedule them I'll make a "come back here at 3pm for a
tour" slides

Anyone object to members wearing stickers saying "I work here, ask me
things?"

Gavan Fantom

Jul 25, 2011, 9:28:57 AM7/25/11
On 25/07/2011 12:55, tom wrote:
> Anyone object to members wearing stickers saying "I work here, ask me
> things?"

s/work/live/

--
Gillette - the best a man can forget

Anish

Jul 31, 2011, 1:10:09 PM7/31/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
Thought of dropping in a line to thank you all for organising the open day. It was good to finally see the space and folks in flesh :)
I am hoping to be able to spend more time in near future. BTW does anyone know of hackespace in Dublin :)
Regards
Anish

Mark Steward

Jul 31, 2011, 1:15:39 PM7/31/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Heard of TOG?

Mark

Robert Leverington

Jul 31, 2011, 1:16:07 PM7/31/11
On 2011-07-31, Anish wrote:
> BTW does anyone know of hackespace in Dublin :)

http://www.tog.ie/

Robert

Stephen Early

Aug 3, 2011, 11:18:08 AM8/3/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I assume the beer is all finished now?  Can someone in the space check that the chiller has been unplugged - it needs to be unplugged before the last cask is disconnected (otherwise the circulating pump will be trying to circulate through a sealed pipe, and will get upset).

I'll be along on Thursday with the car to take the empties and equipment away.

Steve