Young Hackspace printmaking photos

Sam Kelly

Mar 25, 2011, 4:23:36 PM3/25/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I took some pictures at the workshop this afternoon (with the parents' permission) - here they are. http://www.flickr.com/photos/ravenmagic/tags/younghackspace/ I'm really pleased with the way things came out, and reminded of how much I love doing art with children.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ravenmagic/5559182536/ in particular shows the use of Lester's book press for printmaking, and I think we can say it turned out really well. For reference, the procedure I used was to put the lino & paper between the folded halves of a newspaper (the main section of the Guardian, in this case) and put a hardwood block on either side before moving the whole sandwich to the press, closing it up (hand-tight - my hand, that is, not the child's) and counting 30 before opening it up again. I tried with pine planks on Tuesday, and that didn't turn out so well - one of them cracked and warped under the pressure, unless I was incompetent enough to select a warped plank in the first place. More research is necessary, to see if I can do as well as the 7-year-old!

Cheers,
Sam

--
Sam Kelly, http://www.eithin.co.uk/

That's it.  We're not messing around anymore, we're buying a bigger dictionary.  -  Tibor Fischer, The Thought Gang.

Martin Dittus

Mar 25, 2011, 4:56:51 PM3/25/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Lester Hawksby

Mar 25, 2011, 5:00:25 PM3/25/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Sounds like a great day, and I'm so glad the press was useful!

Lester

Lester Hawksby

Mar 25, 2011, 5:02:31 PM3/25/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

PS if your pine was even a bit off flat, you don't have to tighten the press very much to "pop" a crack in it. I wrecked a few light planks that way before

Lester Hawksby

Mar 26, 2011, 6:19:32 AM3/26/11

On 25 Mar 2011 21:02, "Lester Hawksby" <lester...@gmail.com> wrote:
> PS if your pine was even a bit off flat, you don't have to tighten the press
> very much to "pop" a crack in it. I wrecked a few light planks that way
> before

...switching to ply press boards. And I'm sorry to hear you lost your woodblock!

(apologies for fragmented reply, large touchscreens and flailing baby feet sometimes don't mix so well)

Lester

ynohtna

Mar 26, 2011, 6:38:28 AM3/26/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
All these pics are awesome, as are the resultant prints. Looks like it was a great event: good work, folks!

A.