brighton makerfaire

tom

Aug 30, 2011, 5:58:25 AM8/30/11
to London Hackspace
is this weekend, I should be going (now i've succesfully moved house
and have a working laptop again). Who else is coming and what needs
bringing?

I've got some kinect things to show off and a mind-controlled nyan cat
thing, but what else is coming?

Jonty Wareing

Aug 30, 2011, 6:07:33 AM8/30/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 02:58:25AM -0700, tom wrote:
> is this weekend, I should be going (now i've succesfully moved house
> and have a working laptop again). Who else is coming and what needs
> bringing?

o/

> I've got some kinect things to show off and a mind-controlled nyan cat
> thing, but what else is coming?

We've been recruited to help run the hacking area again, this time mixed
in with all the soldering and other people making things, and with an
area where people can demo stuff.

Essentially we really need to work up a list of things to take with us
that people can hack, use to hack, or hack on. Let's not get too carried
away, but we should take enough kit to keep both us and all the other
hackerspace groups entertained.

How are we transporting things there? Is anyone driving?

--jonty

Mike Pountney

Aug 30, 2011, 6:13:00 AM8/30/11

On 30 Aug 2011, at 11:07, Jonty Wareing wrote:

> Essentially we really need to work up a list of things to take with us
> that people can hack, use to hack, or hack on. Let's not get too carried
> away, but we should take enough kit to keep both us and all the other
> hackerspace groups entertained.

There'll be a suite of BBC micros from the TNMOC there, one of which at least should have a break-out IO board on it - so is ripe for doing some retro hacking if that floats your boat. It'd be a great way of getting the chaps from Bletchley some attention, and help bring them into event quite nicely.

Ken Boak

Aug 30, 2011, 6:17:25 AM8/30/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Jonty,

Parking in Brighton is relatively expensive - about £20 per day.

For most coming from London - this suggests the train being cheaper.

There is a possibility that I could pick stuff at the space on Thursday 1st by car  at the Pachube talk and get it down to Brighton on the Friday. Still working the detail, because I have somewhat   inconveniently have to be in London again on Friday night - but by train - cause partying.

Ken

Jonty Wareing

Aug 30, 2011, 6:20:38 AM8/30/11
On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 11:13:00AM +0100, Mike Pountney wrote:
> There'll be a suite of BBC micros from the TNMOC there, one of which
> at least should have a break-out IO board on it - so is ripe for doing
> some retro hacking if that floats your boat. It'd be a great way of
> getting the chaps from Bletchley some attention, and help bring them
> into event quite nicely.

God damnit, if I'd known that I would have got my parents to post over
my BBC Micro Lego breakout board!

--jonty

tom

Aug 30, 2011, 6:36:54 AM8/30/11
to London Hackspace
interesting....

How about we raid the 3 week box? theres always some interesting crap
in there

Mike Pountney

Aug 30, 2011, 6:47:25 AM8/30/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

There's still time to get them to send it to me ;)

tom

Aug 30, 2011, 7:16:38 AM8/30/11
to London Hackspace
ok so i'm going to drag the contents of my box down with me, i
probably wont be able to stay saturday night though

I found a soldering iron and multimeter whilst moving, so they'll come
too

Will Pearson

Aug 30, 2011, 7:48:58 AM8/30/11
to London Hackspace
I'm planning on going by train, I'll probably go early Saturday and
come back on the last train, unless I can find somewhere to crash (the
nearby hostels seem to be full up).

I can lug a backpack of stuff.

Will

Martin Dittus

Aug 30, 2011, 8:18:35 AM8/30/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Shall we coordinate transport? Would be nice to travel as a group; and might make it easier to transport people's stuff if there are more helping hands.

I'll be coming by train, just for the day. Am flexible about when/where to meet. Suggestions?

See also:
http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Project:Maker_Faire

Ken Boak

Aug 30, 2011, 8:27:02 AM8/30/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Victoria gives the best, quickest service, with trains at least every 30 mins. - though some possible from London Bridge and even some First Capital Connect Thames Link trains from St.Pancras.

Fastest trains call Clapham Junction, East Croydon only and take 53 minutes.

Ken

Paul Dart

Aug 30, 2011, 8:44:53 AM8/30/11
On 30 August 2011 13:27, Ken Boak <ken....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Victoria gives the best, quickest service, with trains at least every 30
> mins. - though some possible from London Bridge and even some First Capital
> Connect Thames Link trains from St.Pancras.
>
> Fastest trains call Clapham Junction, East Croydon only and take 53 minutes.

Careful now,
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-14292920
http://londonist.com/2011/07/gatwick-express-fastest-journey-time-into-london-is-misleading.php

:)

Paul

Ken Boak

Aug 30, 2011, 8:55:35 AM8/30/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Paul,

Where did I mention Gatwick Express???

Fastest trains are regular service, stopping at Clapham Junction and East Croydon and take 52 mins.  Who said any thing about Gatwick??

Ken

Martin Klang

Aug 30, 2011, 9:26:24 AM8/30/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

I'm going down on Friday evening, got a stand for the blipbox.
I can probably bring stuff down in my lil' van, let me know if you've got more bits than you can carry.

/m

Will Pearson

Aug 30, 2011, 12:54:08 PM8/30/11
to London Hackspace
On Aug 30, 1:18 pm, Martin Dittus <deks...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Shall we coordinate transport? Would be nice to travel as a group; and might make it easier to transport people's stuff if there are more helping hands.

I'll probably be joining the train at East Croydon as I'm halfway
there already.

The train that gets in at 9:25 seems like a good train for me. It
leaves London Bridge at 8:27

So I'm not so useful for carrying stuff, apart from at the other side,
or I take it home on the Friday.

Will

Adrian Godwin

Aug 30, 2011, 2:57:18 PM8/30/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Looks like I can go as well now, and am happy to help with manning a stand and other stuff. I understood we could crash at brighton maker space - is this correct ? Or is it stand people only ?

There's also a dorkbot musical thing saturday evening.

-adrian

tom

Aug 31, 2011, 5:57:54 AM8/31/11
to London Hackspace
I'll probably head down friday night and get a cheap* hostel to crash
in

We had the idea last night of taking the rockband drums along, I've
got them talking to an arduino with a view to getting it to pulse 5v
when the drums are hit. We can show people how to wire transistors
onto junk/toys/etc to trigger them from the drumkit.

Much to my girlfriends relief i'll be raiding my junk pile to bring
things along, if anyone sees anything fun in the 3 week pile then grab
it to one side!

*not so cheap

Mike Pountney

Aug 31, 2011, 6:17:41 AM8/31/11

On 31 Aug 2011, at 10:57, tom wrote:

> We had the idea last night of taking the rockband drums along, I've
> got them talking to an arduino with a view to getting it to pulse 5v
> when the drums are hit. We can show people how to wire transistors
> onto junk/toys/etc to trigger them from the drumkit.

Brighton Hackspace's Jason will be bringing along his solenoid drumkit, he triggers it via Reason and Arduino+MIDI at the moment. You may want to find him on the day for some integratey fun.

Earthshine

Aug 31, 2011, 8:53:09 AM8/31/11
to London Hackspace
Is there any kind of a meet-up/piss-up/orgy on the Friday night
anywhere?

Ken Boak

Aug 31, 2011, 9:03:40 AM8/31/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'm going to one in Dalston - but that probably doesn't help

Russ Garrett

Aug 31, 2011, 9:05:51 AM8/31/11
On 31 August 2011 13:53, Earthshine <mike...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there any kind of a meet-up/piss-up/orgy on the Friday night
> anywhere?

Friday night overlaps with the end of dConstruct which Jonty is going
to and I am planning to gatecrash. So I suspect if there is anything
like an organised pissup it'll be the Saturday night event.

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

tom

Aug 31, 2011, 9:36:45 AM8/31/11
to London Hackspace
saturday is looking better methinks

also i noticed that we should have 10 soldering stations arriving at
the space (we won them?) this week. Can we label them up and take them
down with us?

On Aug 31, 2:05 pm, Russ Garrett <r...@garrett.co.uk> wrote:
> On 31 August 2011 13:53, Earthshine <mikemc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Is there any kind of a meet-up/piss-up/orgy on the Friday night
> > anywhere?
>
> Friday night overlaps with the end of dConstruct which Jonty is going
> to and I am planning to gatecrash. So I suspect if there is anything
> like an organised pissup it'll be the Saturday night event.
>
> --
> Russ Garrett
> r...@garrett.co.uk

tom

Aug 31, 2011, 1:05:14 PM8/31/11
to London Hackspace
What happened to the banner as well? I'll take that down

I'm planning on arriving late-ish friday night to set up what I can
carry, who else will be down?

Adrian Godwin

Aug 31, 2011, 1:17:18 PM8/31/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Me, but don't know what time yet.

-adrian

Adrian Godwin

Aug 31, 2011, 1:26:19 PM8/31/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Is it worth me stopping at hackspace to help carry stuff ? I think I'll go by train but car is possible if it would make a big difference to transport.

-adrian

Martin Klang

Aug 31, 2011, 1:37:03 PM8/31/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

as I mentioned, I'm leaving from LHS friday evening, can bring anything that needs bringing.
wanna stick the banner in my van, Tom?

/m

Mike Pountney

Aug 31, 2011, 1:51:28 PM8/31/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Will the fridge fit in your van Martin? :D

Martin Klang

Aug 31, 2011, 3:15:46 PM8/31/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

sorry Mike: me no speak smiley-language.
you want to take a fridge to the faire?

/m

Robert Leverington

Aug 31, 2011, 3:46:08 PM8/31/11
On 2011-08-31, Martin Klang wrote:

> sorry Mike: me no speak smiley-language.
> you want to take a fridge to the faire?

The fridge currently in the lobby is being donated to BuildBrighton, if
we can find a way to get it there. :)

Robert

Mike Pountney

Aug 31, 2011, 3:52:41 PM8/31/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Ah, yes - the all important missing context. Spare fridge is being donated to BuildBrighton as Robert mentions. We'll have a luton van parked out the back of the Dome for the duration of the Maker Faire, so when you drop off your stuff on the friday night we could just transfer it into that - assuming you can squash it in your van. No bother if you can't, we'll work something else out.

Cheers,

Mike

Martin Klang

Aug 31, 2011, 5:28:36 PM8/31/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

I've just been downstairs to have a look: I'm afraid it probably will fit.
will taking the fridge qualify me for free parking somewhere, somehow?

/m

Mike Pountney

Aug 31, 2011, 5:33:20 PM8/31/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I've got a bunch of visitors permits for zone y in Brighton, which is pretty nearby...

tom

Sep 1, 2011, 5:40:53 AM9/1/11
to London Hackspace
i plan to be at the space at about 7 ish to pack stuff up then head
for a train. Meet up there?

On Aug 31, 6:26 pm, Adrian Godwin <artgod...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it worth me stopping at hackspace to help carry stuff ? I think I'll go
> by train but car is possible if it would make a big difference to transport.
>
> -adrian
>

> On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 6:17 PM, Adrian Godwin <artgod...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Me, but don't know what time yet.
>
> > -adrian

Adrian Godwin

Sep 1, 2011, 5:42:03 AM9/1/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
yes, suits me.

-adrian

Alec Wright

Sep 1, 2011, 5:44:08 AM9/1/11
On 30 August 2011 10:58, tom <bollo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> is this weekend, I should be going (now i've succesfully moved house
> and have a working laptop again). Who else is coming and what needs
> bringing?
>
> I've got some kinect things to show off and a mind-controlled nyan cat
> thing, but what else is coming?

Looks like i'm going. Anything i should know?

Earthshine

Sep 1, 2011, 5:50:13 AM9/1/11
to London Hackspace
Just bring plenty of beer money

tom

Sep 1, 2011, 6:34:14 AM9/1/11
to London Hackspace
Alec: bring junk to hack and beer money. If you can grab a suitcase to
bring things down on the train then that'd be great too

Also have the soldering stations turned up yet? If not can you label
up the one we have with some sort of "this belongs to LHS" sticker?

Martin: if we can throw some stuff in the van that'd be great :) Pints
will be bought of course

Matt Lloyd

Sep 1, 2011, 9:21:55 AM9/1/11
to London Hackspace
Hi all

Just to let you know, there 3(possible 4) of us from Nottinghack
traveling down to brighton tomorrow via train. We leave nottingham at
11:28, and stop via London St Pancras at 13:40

And we are bringing one of the BIG station Clocks on the train as a
gift to build brighton.

http://wiki.nottinghack.org.uk/wiki/BigClocks

Im hoping that with all the hackers around form the different spaces
we might find time to pull it apart and make some progress on hacking
the display.

Matt

On Aug 30, 11:07 am, Jonty Wareing <jo...@jonty.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 02:58:25AM -0700, tom wrote:
> > is this weekend, I should be going (now i've succesfully moved house
> > and have a working laptop again). Who else is coming and what needs
> > bringing?
>
> o/
>
> > I've got some kinect things to show off and a mind-controlled nyan cat
> > thing, but what else is coming?
>
> We've been recruited to help run the hacking area again, this time mixed
> in with all the soldering and other people making things, and with an
> area where people can demo stuff.
>
> Essentially we really need to work up a list of things to take with us
> that people can hack, use to hack, or hack on. Let's not get too carried
> away, but we should take enough kit to keep both us and all the other
> hackerspace groups entertained.
>
> How are we transporting things there? Is anyone driving?
>
> --jonty

tom

Sep 1, 2011, 9:53:11 AM9/1/11
to London Hackspace
are you taking it to The Skiff in the evening? I'll be up for hacking
it!

Matt Lloyd

Sep 1, 2011, 11:03:40 AM9/1/11
to London Hackspace
Don't have any plans after the whole crazy idea of let's take a
station clock for a train ride!
But yeah taking it to the makers camp might be an option. These things
are not small or light mind.

There is one for London to and we did berifly consider bringing two
down and dorping one at London hackspace but it's just to much.

Matt

Ken Boak

Sep 1, 2011, 11:07:12 AM9/1/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Matt

I can bring one back to London Hackspace when I come up to Notts on 24th/25th

Ken

Jasper Wallace

Sep 1, 2011, 11:16:28 AM9/1/11
to London Hackspace
On Thu, 1 Sep 2011, Matt Lloyd wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Just to let you know, there 3(possible 4) of us from Nottinghack
> traveling down to brighton tomorrow via train. We leave nottingham at
> 11:28, and stop via London St Pancras at 13:40
>
> And we are bringing one of the BIG station Clocks on the train as a
> gift to build brighton.
>
> http://wiki.nottinghack.org.uk/wiki/BigClocks
>
> Im hoping that with all the hackers around form the different spaces
> we might find time to pull it apart and make some progress on hacking
> the display.

Cool!

Unfortunatly i can't come to brighton otherwise i'd love to have a look at
them, looking at the pictures of the boards one of them has a blown cap on
it (the top is buldgeing and come brown gunk is coming out).

Do you know the exact part number of the pic17something chips?

ah, it's this one:

http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/devicedoc/30289b.pdf

There's an st232c chip which is an rs232 line driver, so a standard 12v
rs232 cable should work (i.e. you won't need an ftdi cable), but you need
to work out which header is it, possible JP1.

--
[http://pointless.net/] [0x2ECA0975]