New Lathe!

Billy

Mar 30, 2011, 7:55:41 AM3/30/11
to London Hackspace

Abby just inspected the new lathe.

He says it has been lubed with Shipping Grease.

While shipping grease is fine for stopping rust when you're
transporting something by sea, it is NOT sufficient for use with heavy
machinery.

Abby and Luke will strip, clean and re-lube the lathe this weekend.

More importantly, they want to fit a key mechanism, similar to the
laser.

There are all kinds horrible ways that you can be damaged with this
sort of tool. Look in Google Images for "lathe injury" and "lathe
accident", and you'll see why they are cautious.

We WILL need to have safety training for this thing before using it.

I'll be trained before i'll go near it. I like having all my fingers.

Sam Cook

Mar 30, 2011, 8:03:31 AM3/30/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, Billy
Yay for lathe!

Also thanks to russss for ordering, billy et al for waiting for it to appear and Luke & Abby for volunteering to make it hacker safe.

Don B

Mar 30, 2011, 8:08:30 AM3/30/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
   Let me know what time they are going to be setting up the lathe this weekend - I'd like to help out and get to see how it all goes together :-)
--
Don.

Sam Cook

Mar 30, 2011, 8:14:31 AM3/30/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, Don B
There is a wiki page for the machine here[1]

Sci

Mar 30, 2011, 9:21:31 AM3/30/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com