BBC articles

Paul Allen

Sep 29, 2011, 9:52:10 AM9/29/11
to London Hackspace
There have been some interesting articles and programmes on the BBC
lately:
Viewpoint: The internet of things and yet another revolution:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15018894
In Business: Silicon Roundabout: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01462bl
In Business: 3D Printing: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b012r7ty

George Buckenham

Sep 29, 2011, 12:05:22 PM9/29/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
People might find this except from Dragon's Den interesting also:

Chairman Jonty is on the telly! (& the hackspace generally)

--G

tom

Sep 29, 2011, 12:26:08 PM9/29/11
to London Hackspace
I cant believe that Douchebag didnt stop and salute our glorious
leader. OFF WITH HIS HEAD

On Sep 29, 5:05 pm, George Buckenham <v.twenty....@gmail.com> wrote:
> People might find this except from Dragon's Den interesting also:
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b015gw5l/Dragons_Den_How_to_Win_...
>
> Chairman Jonty is on the telly! (& the hackspace generally)
>
> --G

Sam Cook

Sep 29, 2011, 12:36:14 PM9/29/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
out of interest who were they? I don't think I've ever seen them at the space.

Earthshine

Sep 30, 2011, 3:31:13 AM9/30/11
to London Hackspace
I don't recognise them either.

Monty

Sep 30, 2011, 3:50:45 AM9/30/11
to London Hackspace
I'm gonna guess that they are Amanda Jones and James Brown...

On Sep 29, 5:36 pm, Sam Cook <sam.lindenrat...@gmail.com> wrote:
> out of interest who were they? I don't think I've ever seen them at the
> space.

Ken Boak

Sep 30, 2011, 3:58:43 AM9/30/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I've met James

He was at the space almost daily back in June/July before flying out to Africa to promote his water cart and pump ideas.

With 375++ members at the space - you can't expect to meet them all, frequently.

Ken

Billy

Sep 30, 2011, 4:13:42 AM9/30/11
to London Hackspace

I've met him a lot. He's usually at the space in the week during
daytime. Means that anyone working 9 to 5 is less likely to meet him.
He's got some great idea's about low-tech ways of solving technical
problems.

We had some fascinating conversations about wheel designs.

On Sep 30, 8:58 am, Ken Boak <ken.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've met James
>
> He was at the space almost daily back in June/July before flying out to
> Africa to promote his water cart and pump ideas.
>
> With 375++ members at the space - you can't expect to meet them all,
> frequently.
>
> Ken

tom

Sep 30, 2011, 4:15:04 AM9/30/11
to London Hackspace
wheel designs? Surely round is round?

danny staple

Sep 30, 2011, 4:18:31 AM9/30/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Kind of - I remember recently seeing something about high speed rail
(I mean Japanese HS, not the pathetic excuse we'll get here) requiring
serious rethink on wheel profiles - keeping the wheel on the track,
and allowing some movement to avoid the stresses involved - I think
they were part conical, part flanged...

--
Danny Staple

Director, ODM Solutions Ltd
w: http://www.odmsolutions.co.uk
Blog: http://orionrobots.co.uk/blog1-Danny-Staple

Nick Leaton

Sep 30, 2011, 10:42:04 AM9/30/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hs1wcvhguM

Except when they are square. :-))

On 30 September 2011 09:15, tom <bollo...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Nick

Nick Leaton

Sep 30, 2011, 10:43:27 AM9/30/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
All rail wheels are conical with a flange. They have been for a long time. The flange is there for safety. The rest of the time, its the conical sections that keep the train centred on the track.
--
Nick

danny staple

Sep 30, 2011, 11:06:29 AM9/30/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
BBC's Bang Goers The Theory show did a motorbik jump with square
wheels - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-hDEEl67_Y

tom

Sep 30, 2011, 12:07:33 PM9/30/11
to London Hackspace
ok, but square wheels are still topologically equivalent to round
wheels :p

On Sep 30, 4:06 pm, danny staple <da...@orionrobots.co.uk> wrote:
> BBC's Bang Goers The Theory show did a motorbik jump with square
> wheels -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-hDEEl67_Y
>
> On 30 September 2011 15:42, Nick Leaton <nic...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hs1wcvhguM
> > Except when they are square. :-))

Martin Klang

Sep 30, 2011, 12:42:43 PM9/30/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

yes but ontologically different.

/m

danny staple

Sep 30, 2011, 12:47:59 PM9/30/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I think it was that show that demonstrated that given the right
surface shape, and wheel shape, then just about any profile would
work, including irregular ones.