Lathe Motor

Russ Garrett

Jun 12, 2011, 4:21:27 PM6/12/11
to London Hack Space
I have a RMA number for this (2822) - it needs to be boxed up I need
to let them know which day it can be collected and the replacement
delivered.

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Tim Storey

Jun 12, 2011, 4:53:40 PM6/12/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I will be in the space from around 10:00 tomorrow, tuesday afternoon and wednesday

Russ Garrett

Jun 12, 2011, 5:38:35 PM6/12/11
On 12 June 2011 21:53, Tim Storey <tim.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I will be in the space from around 10:00 tomorrow, tuesday afternoon and
> wednesday

When someone lets me know it's been boxed and labelled, I'll get them
to collect it.

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Adrian Godwin

Jun 13, 2011, 4:58:37 AM6/13/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
So, do we know what happened ?

It's clear that it overheated badly, and there seems no reason to
suppose it was due to mistreatment as I don't think anybody's used it
anywhere near capacity.

The motor was very likely faulty. It looks a rather cheap-and-nasty
chinese unit, and they probably have a fairly high failure rate. But
the replacement wil probably be similar, if we know what to look out
for we might avoid another period of downtime.

It could have been a winding or insulation failure. There's not a lot
we can do about that.

Or it could have been a failure of the centrifugal switch as someone
suggested, resulting in the start winding being stuck on. If this was
the case, we might have been able to unstick it before it caused any
damage. We'd need to know early warning signs though. Did anyone
notice anything before the noises started ? It was probably too late
at that point.

-adrian

spooq

Jun 13, 2011, 6:36:15 AM6/13/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Abby and I noticed early on that it did run relatively hot. It didn't
seem to be in the zone where it was a cause for alarm though...
obviously we were wrong about that.

Now is probably the best possible time to change the oil in the
machine, as it is due for that.

Luke