grey mini-bandsaw - broken blade

amx109

Aug 21, 2011, 6:08:46 PM8/21/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
hi

i was using the small grey bandsaw type contraption this evening and i broke the blade on it.

i tried to take it apart to get at the blade but couldnt quite figure out how to. im not sure what blade types it takes either

if someone knows what type of blade it takes, please speak up - ill buy replacements for it and (try) to install one asap.

i havent checked the wiki yet. if it doesnt have a page ill set one up with info etc

ta

Amran

Sam Cook

Aug 22, 2011, 6:16:01 AM8/22/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi Amran,

It's a scrollsaw rather than a bandsaw (assuming you're talking about the saw with a very fine blade and very little clearance). As a general note it's only really for fine detail work on fairly thin wood. This [1] link is the screwfix page for the blades, they seem pretty standard although the length probably wants checking against the model we have.

If you could set up a wiki page for it that would be excellent!

Cheers and thanks for being honest!

amx109

Aug 22, 2011, 4:41:28 PM8/22/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
thanks for the help Sam

as soon as ive figured out how to get into the thing and measure the blade length i will order a set of blades.

http://wiki.hackspace.org.uk/wiki/Equipment/Scrollsaw

Adrian Godwin

Aug 22, 2011, 4:55:25 PM8/22/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
An important choice on this type of saw is the blade mounting : either 'pinned' (a pin is fixed in the end of the blade and hooks into the holder) or 'unpinned' - the blade is flat and held in clamps. Some types of saw can use either type. I don't know which type we have.

-adrian

amx109

Aug 22, 2011, 7:35:56 PM8/22/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
i looked this evening at the remnant of the blade - looks to be the pin type

updated wiki page with more info and pics

Billy

Aug 22, 2011, 8:58:08 PM8/22/11
to London Hackspace

I've fixed it.

I have updated the wiki with more information on the machine.

Please remember that it is on loan. Charles will want it back at some
point.

On Aug 23, 12:35 am, amx109 <amx...@gmail.com> wrote:
> i looked this evening at the remnant of the blade - looks to be the pin type
>
> updated wiki page with more info and pics
>
> On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 9:55 PM, Adrian Godwin <artgod...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > An important choice on this type of saw is the blade mounting : either
> > 'pinned' (a pin is fixed in the end of the blade and hooks into the holder)
> > or 'unpinned' - the blade is flat and held in clamps. Some types of saw can
> > use either type. I don't know which type we have.
>
> > -adrian
>
> > On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 9:41 PM, amx109 <amx...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> thanks for the help Sam
>
> >> as soon as ive figured out how to get into the thing and measure the blade
> >> length i will order a set of blades.
>
> >>http://wiki.hackspace.org.uk/wiki/Equipment/Scrollsaw

amx109

Aug 23, 2011, 6:08:57 AM8/23/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
cant thank you enough Billy. i will have a look at the spare blades and see if i can add some extra replacement blades anyway

Billy

Aug 24, 2011, 3:55:01 AM8/24/11
to London Hackspace

The blade snapped last night. To be fair, the material that it was
cutting was close to the limit of what the blade could do. It did
pretty well until it broke.

I had a dig around, but the packet, i thought had more spare blades,
does not.

We'll need to order some more.

Billy

Aug 26, 2011, 8:03:02 PM8/26/11
to London Hackspace

Adam ordered some new blades. They arrived Friday morning.

I installed one friday evening.

The rest of the blades are in the sawblades drawer of the filing
cabinet.

amx109

Aug 26, 2011, 11:01:28 PM8/26/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

that's what I forgot to do.

thank you Adam for ordering more blades.

I will stick the equivalent moneys in the hackspace donations tin when I'm next in as way of penance for not ordering a set like I promised I would.

Adrian Godwin

Aug 27, 2011, 4:40:46 AM8/27/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Adam has spent a lot of money on replacement blades, for which he deserves many thanks. Perhaps some other people who use the saw could contribute, or we might consider blades to  be a consumable bought out of common funds.

-adrian