Rumours of riots heading for Shoreditch and Hoxton

Ken Boak

Aug 9, 2011, 8:45:45 AM8/9/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Unconfirmed tweets regarding shoreditch and hoxton.

Anyone at the space able to confirm - take care - and possibly safer to postpone tonight's social evening?

Ken

Cepmender

Aug 9, 2011, 9:28:07 AM8/9/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
In view of the general disorder throughout the city, it is probably best that any necessary journeys be curtailed. Certainly if you do come on foot, best to leave laptops etc behind. I saw a lot of dodgy looking characters just hanging around as I was on my way here last night.

James Brown

Aug 9, 2011, 9:42:37 AM8/9/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
All seemed quiet outside when I arrived just after 2pm, but shops were being told to close and lots of Police vans moving through Dalston earlier.  I'll be heading off soon I think.

Russ Garrett

Aug 9, 2011, 10:11:18 AM8/9/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Let's not clog the mailing list up with much unconfirmed rumour.

Don't feel forced to turn up unless you're comfortable doing so. That
said, I'm sure there will be people at the space tonight.

We've got a channel - ##londonriots on irc.freenode.net - which has
the best up-to-date coverage. I will try and email an update every 2
hours to this list to keep people appraised of the situation.

The latest news is still a bit fuzzy. Here's a picture from Hoxton
Street (near the space), which is apparently local shopkeepers ready
to defend their shops (a similar thing happened in Dalston last
night): http://twitpic.com/63fug9

Also worries of riots in Hackney (Central) and Farringdon, but nothing
concrete yet.

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Russ Garrett

Aug 9, 2011, 12:04:43 PM8/9/11
On 9 August 2011 15:11, Russ Garrett <ru...@garrett.co.uk> wrote:
> We've got a channel - ##londonriots on irc.freenode.net - which has
> the best up-to-date coverage. I will try and email an update every 2
> hours to this list to keep people appraised of the situation.

Here are the rioting headlines at 5pm:

There is none.

Police have asked shops and businesses on Hoxton Street to close,
which the majority have done. Consequently the area is very quiet, but
we haven't heard of any confirmed violence anywhere in Shoreditch.

(Or anywhere else, for that matter. A similar alert is in force by my
office in Farringdon, and there's absolutely nothing going on here.)

It's a bit eerie how many precautions have been taken without anything
actually happening. Even if there's no full-scale rioting, the empty
streets are probably going to be somewhat dangerous for isolated
muggings.

It's probably going to be fine to come to the space, but stick on the
main roads (A10 and Old Street) to be on the safe side.

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

tom

Aug 9, 2011, 1:05:21 PM8/9/11
to London Hackspace
and in any case, we have a space full of power tools, high voltage kit
and chemicals. Treat it as a "Zombie attack preparation day"

On Aug 9, 5:04 pm, Russ Garrett <r...@garrett.co.uk> wrote:
> r...@garrett.co.uk

Kieran Kunhya

Aug 9, 2011, 1:10:26 PM8/9/11
to London Hackspace
Zombies would have more intelligence so bear that in mind.

Katie Sutton

Aug 9, 2011, 1:31:12 PM8/9/11
On 9 August 2011 18:05, tom <bollo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> and in any case, we have a space full of power tools, high voltage kit
> and chemicals. Treat it as a "Zombie attack preparation day"

Also we have lots of pizza picked up from the corner shop and
currently in the freezer of someone who lives locally and is prepared
to cook them for us. About half the size as the pizzas we get from
Red Planet, to be sold at £2 per half. Enough for about 11 people at
the moment. We also bought a load of beer and some more soda.

http://twitpic.com/63iayf <- noticeboard at the space.

--
Katie Sutton
http://tajasel.org

"The ‘Net is a waste of time, and that’s exactly what’s right about
it." ~ William Gibson