Hacking Hacking

Darren McDonald

Aug 24, 2011, 5:46:01 AM8/24/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Its been quite a while since the last hacking hacking, espicially as the organiser of the last event cancelled at the last moment.

I should be do something around the end of september.

A few questions though.
* what kind of computer security are people intrested in?
* what kind of event? More lesson type workshops, or would people be prefer another format?
* is anyone willing and able to take on an active role and work with me on the next and future workshops?

Darren

Callum Finlayson

Aug 24, 2011, 8:33:19 AM8/24/11
On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 10:46 AM, Darren McDonald <dar...@dmcdonald.net> wrote:
> * what kind of computer security are people intrested in?
> * what kind of event? More lesson type workshops, or would people be prefer
> another format?

I'm not a member, but a couple of suggestions of topics people may
find interesting:

1. an introduction to the UK cyber-security challenge + maybe working
through examples of last year's challenges

2. building & running a honeypot and/or capturing & reverse engineering malware

or less technically:

3. a cultural/historical overview of the-other-sort-of-hacking in the
UK - demos & 8-bit piracy in the 80s, commercial internet in the 90s,
compare/contrast with the US, the rise of the script kiddie, online
organised crime, to the current high profile stories around Lulzsec,
Anonymous (both generally and the subset of hackers), and journalists
"hacking" voicemail.

Also, I got the impression that the cancelled OSINT/information
gathering one would have be popular.