Letter In Full Minus Code

Tim Storey

Jun 22, 2011, 8:11:56 AM6/22/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Dear Tenant,

Re: Cremer Business Centre - Security

Ina an attempt to inprove building security at Cremer Busines Center we will soon be
installing a coded lock entry system to the building access points.

These will be on a timer and will be in operation from 7.00pm to 7.00am. During this
period you will need the code to enter the building. If you have visitors or deliveries
during this perio access will need to be obtained through the guard, who will then record the
visitor.

There will be push button door release pads on the inside and emergency break
glasses to comply with Fire Regulations.

Obviously, these will only improve security if they are not misused, wedged open, or
continually have the break glass smashed.

The code number will be XXXX. Please keep this number secure and only pass it on to staff that need access at night.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you require further clarification.

Yours Faithfully

etc....

Sam Cook

Jun 22, 2011, 10:03:25 AM6/22/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hooray!

Is it worth talking to them to discuss either having a special Hackspace code (at least they can then log our use) or check if they mind the likely number of people after hours?

It's going to be at least 1 or 2 people per day if not more (especially on a Tuesday)...

Nick Boyle

Jun 22, 2011, 10:23:56 AM6/22/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Is it worth suggesting to offer to expand the card reader to where the guard sits (not exactly sure where this is). Most users scan in using this to authenticate, and it shows a green light for those known? Visitors will need to sign in. Very regular users can have the code. Personally, as a very irregular user, this would be best for me.

artg...@gmail.com

Jul 10, 2011, 5:08:23 PM7/10/11
to London Hackspace

On Jun 22, 10:23 am, Nick Boyle <elyobel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it worth suggesting to offer to expand the card reader to where the guard
> sits (not exactly sure where this is). Most users scan in using this to
> authenticate, and it shows a green light for those known? Visitors will need
> to sign in. Very regular users can have the code. Personally, as a very
> irregular user, this would be best for me.

I don't see why all members shouldn't have the code. They all have
legitimate reason to enter the space at any time. As a result, there's
no gain in extending the card reader : the problem we have to solve is
for non-member visitors, which is mostly tuesday nights since other
visits are relatively rare and usually prearranged.

As Mark says, this could be handled with a dedicated greeter. It's not
ideal, but workable.

In order to help things along I volunteer to either spend an hour on
duty or donate and deliver a beer to someone who is on duty, any
Tuesday that I'm present (I realise that's not a huge offer given how
rarely I'm there, but hey, it's a start).

Posting the space's fixed line number at the gate or the keypad will
get around some of the other problems. If calling that number results
in a visitor being escorted to the space, I can't see how the
management can object unless they're going out of their way to make
life difficult. This isn't totally unlikely : it's possible that some
other tenants have objected to the large increase in night-time
visitors, even though we are causing no direct problems that we're
aware of.

-adrian

Russ Garrett

Jul 10, 2011, 5:14:25 PM7/10/11
On 10 July 2011 22:08, artg...@googlemail.com <artg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't see why all members shouldn't have the code. They all have
> legitimate reason to enter the space at any time. As a result, there's
> no gain in extending the card reader : the problem we have to solve is
> for non-member visitors, which is mostly tuesday nights since other
> visits are relatively rare and usually prearranged.

Yes, I have made it abundantly clear to our landlords that members are
paying for the right to have access to the space, and thus they are
all entitled to have the code. Non-members are the issue here.

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Jul 10, 2011, 5:26:28 PM7/10/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
After reading some posts on noisebridge's list about trouble with
theft and violence, it makes me think perhaps members only out of
hours access is a good thing.

--

++++++++++[>+>+++>++
+++++>++++++++++<<<<
-]>>>+++++++.>++++++
+++++.+++..---------
.++++++++++.<<+++.<.

Adrian Godwin

Jul 10, 2011, 5:38:14 PM7/10/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
We do, in general, encourage visitors to come on Tuesday evenings.
Occasionally someone asks specifically for another evening, and this
is usually granted subject to a member being available.

This adds a little inconvenience but it's not impossible.

It would be interesting to know why the management have decided to
introduce this. Have there been some problems ? Are other residents
concerned about night visitors (in which case we've probably caused
it) ? The theft of the hackvan doesn't seem relevant since the keypads
would have had no effect on that.

-adrian

Russ Garrett

Jul 10, 2011, 5:40:40 PM7/10/11
On 10 July 2011 22:26, M <a.turn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> After reading some posts on noisebridge's list about trouble with
> theft and violence, it makes me think perhaps members only out of
> hours access is a good thing.

Our main concern is about people not being able to get in on Tuesday
evenings, rather than anything else.

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Mike Harrison

Jul 10, 2011, 5:44:10 PM7/10/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Perhaps extending the RFID system downstairs would be the ideal answer to both convenience for
members and keeping landlords happy, as it can offer a log of who entered when. This could be as
simple as showing a green light to the security staff.

I'd guess they'd be less likely to object to a cable being run for the purpose if they can see the
potential benefit.

Katie Sutton

Jul 10, 2011, 5:50:27 PM7/10/11
On 10 July 2011 22:44, Mike Harrison <mi...@whitewing.co.uk> wrote:
> Perhaps extending the RFID system downstairs would be the ideal answer to both convenience for
> members and keeping landlords happy, as it can offer a log of who entered when. This could be as
> simple as showing a green light to the security staff.
>
> I'd guess they'd be less likely to object to a cable being run for the purpose if they can see the
> potential benefit.

It strikes me that the only inconvenience is the lack of access for
non-members, whose cards aren't hooked up to the Hackspace system
anyway. So that's not really going to help anything.

--
Katie Sutton
http://tajasel.org

"The ‘Net is a waste of time, and that’s exactly what’s right about
it." ~ William Gibson

Charles Yarnold

Jul 10, 2011, 5:56:14 PM7/10/11
On 10 July 2011 22:50, Katie Sutton <ka...@tajasel.org> wrote:
On 10 July 2011 22:44, Mike Harrison <mi...@whitewing.co.uk> wrote:
> Perhaps extending the RFID system downstairs would be the ideal answer to both convenience for
> members and keeping landlords happy, as it can offer a log of who entered when. This could be as
> simple as showing a green light to the security staff.
>
> I'd guess they'd be less likely to object to a cable being run for the purpose if they can see the
> potential benefit.

It strikes me that the only inconvenience is the lack of access for
non-members, whose cards aren't hooked up to the Hackspace system
anyway.  So that's not really going to help anything.

Quite right.

Mike Harrison

Jul 10, 2011, 7:01:25 PM7/10/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Might help if they change the code often - probably unlikely due to hassles for other tenants
though.

Another thought - can their system handle multiple entry codes?
If so, maybe a temporary code could be used for Tues nights, so someone could call the space
landline or use IRC for that night's code

Mike

Jul 11, 2011, 4:18:59 AM7/11/11
On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 10:38:14PM +0100, Adrian Godwin wrote:

> It would be interesting to know why the management have decided to
> introduce this. Have there been some problems ? Are other residents
> concerned about night visitors (in which case we've probably caused
> it) ? The theft of the hackvan doesn't seem relevant since the keypads
> would have had no effect on that.
>
> -adrian

My understanding is that one of the tenants had a van stolen from the
site.

Mike.

signature.asc

Robert Leverington

Jul 11, 2011, 4:22:08 AM7/11/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Again, the new security would have zero effect on this because it is on
the door to the building and not on the gates.

Robert

Russ Garrett

Jul 11, 2011, 4:23:00 AM7/11/11
On 11 July 2011 09:18, Mike <hack...@norgie.net> wrote:
> My understanding is that one of the tenants had a van stolen from the
> site.

Although I didn't end up telling the landlord that because I would
have seemed like a bit of a numpty complaining that a van with a
missing drivers-side window was stolen in Hackney.

At any rate, the code lock is on the stairwell door so this doesn't
increase the security of the car park.

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Katie Sutton

Jul 11, 2011, 9:00:48 AM7/11/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Ah, that makes more sense.

How does this affect lift usage?

Russ Garrett

Jul 11, 2011, 9:06:53 AM7/11/11
On 11 July 2011 14:00, Katie Sutton <ka...@tajasel.org> wrote:
> Ah, that makes more sense.
>
> How does this affect lift usage?

I assume the security guard will leave the lift door open on one of
the other floors to stop them being called from the ground (as they
have done before when they locked the stairwell doors). The astute
among you will note that this completely kills disabled accessibility.

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Robert Leverington

Jul 11, 2011, 9:07:58 AM7/11/11
On 2011-07-11, Katie Sutton wrote:
> On 11 July 2011 09:22, Robert Leverington <rob...@rhl.me.uk> wrote:
> > Again, the new security would have zero effect on this because it is on
> > the door to the building and not on the gates.
>
> Ah, that makes more sense.
>
> How does this affect lift usage?

At the moment the security guard tends to leave the lift doors open on
one of the upper floors to disable them out of hours, so I assume that
will continue.

I believe we mentioned this in our message to Workspace Group about
access, as it is far from ideal.

Robert

Katie Sutton

Jul 11, 2011, 10:35:27 AM7/11/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

If it would help for me to come along to a meeting, or write a letter
explaining exactly how that contravenes disability accessibility, I'd
be more than happy to.