HackSat1 Update

Will Green

Oct 28, 2011, 8:49:12 AM10/28/11
to London Hackspace
I've received a few more details on the satellite and ground station
requirements for our KickSat project:

http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Project:HackSat1

I've also started a page for software payload ideas:
http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Project:HackSat1_Payload

And a page for the ground station:
http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Project:Hoxton_Space_Centre

Please edit the wiki pages and/or get in touch if you'd like to get
involved.

I don't expect anything major to happen until 2012, but we could
organise a MSP430 workshop if there are enough people interested. I've
not done any MSP430 coding yet, but the dev kits are cheap.

-- Will (Flux42 on IRC)

Oct 28, 2011, 9:03:15 AM10/28/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'm up for msp430 learnings, but not if it's a ti launchpad as I have
one, have used it and don't really like it very much.

--

++++++++++[>+>+++>++
+++++>++++++++++<<<<
-]>>>+++++++.>++++++
+++++.+++..---------
.++++++++++.<<+++.<.

Will Green

Oct 30, 2011, 3:03:03 PM10/30/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Any better suggestions for learning the MSP430?

I've picked up MSP430 Microcontroller Basics by Davies, but haven't
had a chance to look at it in any detail yet.

PS. AJP has written some great notes on
http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Project:Hoxton_Space_Centre

StuGrey

Nov 7, 2011, 4:57:26 AM11/7/11
to London Hackspace
Hi All,
I'm a post-doc research associate in the Space Geodesy and Navigation
Laboratory (SGNL) at UCL and the HackSat project was brought to my
attention by one of our PhD students, Hira.  Our research work is on
orbit determination/prediction and force modelling, particularly for
LEO spacecraft (myself) and space debris (Hira).   We are keen makers
and visited the HackSpace a couple of weeks ago on a Tuesday night and
were very impressed!
The head of our group (Prof. Marek Ziebart) was also interested, is
there any chance that someone could come in and talk to our group
about the project?
Stuart
On Oct 30, 7:03 pm, Will Green <in...@flux.org.uk> wrote:
> Any better suggestions for learning the MSP430?
>
> I've picked up MSP430 Microcontroller Basics by Davies, but haven't
> had a chance to look at it in any detail yet.
>
> PS. AJP has written some great notes onhttp://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Project:Hoxton_Space_Centre

Tweaker

Nov 7, 2011, 9:40:01 AM11/7/11
to London Hackspace
FWIW
Just a technical detail when reading the WIKI on the ground control
station.
The aerial suggested to be used for the reception may be enhanced by
using a cross-yagi.
It's been used for AMSAT/OSCAR amateur radio communication as prefered
option,canceling out most of the polarisation loss due to satellite
rotation/thumbling.
The complexity on the aerial will increase,but its a "passive"
gain,where you will be able to get longer passages on each orbit,and
also a steadier signal overall.

Tom

Will Green

Nov 7, 2011, 5:23:29 PM11/7/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, stu...@gmail.com
Thanks for your email and interest in HackSat.

HackSat is at a very early stage. I've only just started working with
the MSP430 tools and the dev board isn't due until May. It would be
great to chat to you about the project, but I think we're some way
from having enough material for a talk.

Have you considered contacting Zac Manchester at Cornell? He's the
originator of the KickSat project: http://www.kicksat.org

If you'd like to meet up or drop into the space do let me know: you're
welcome to email me directly.

Cheers,
Will

Dirk-Willem van Gulik

Nov 7, 2011, 5:35:25 PM11/7/11

On 7 Nov 2011, at 22:23, Will Green wrote:

> If you'd like to meet up or drop into the space do let me know: you're
> welcome to email me directly.

Added a few comments to the wiki page* as to what may be the crux of your plan if you do not go for full world domination and plenty of ground stations :) :) :)

Dw

*: http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/submit/Project:HackSat1

Nigel Worsley

Nov 7, 2011, 5:43:00 PM11/7/11