New Space, Increase in Subscription Fees

Russ Garrett

Jul 14, 2010, 10:19:20 AM7/14/10
to London Hack Space
Hello all,

We've just taken the plunge and put down the deposit on unit 24,
Cremer Business Centre, with the intent of getting the keys on Friday.
We're still hammering out some legal/insurance issues, which might
result in this date slipping to next week, in which case we'll have to
move everything into storage on Saturday.

Cremer is a great space, nearly double the size of our current place,
and significantly handier for public transport and buses. It gives us
the space to expand and do a lot of fun new things in the next year,
and it is still cheap for London.

We have enough cash in the bank to cover the first 3 months' rent with
our current cash flow. We need to seriously increase our revenue to
make this new space work.

Increase of Subscription
recommendation - if you can't afford it, you can pay less, but bear in
mind that property is expensive.

We'd also really appreciate it if you told all your friends that we're
getting a new space and they should really come and join :). We're
going to run a big recruitment drive this month to try and get more
people joining.

We're also going to try and organise more public workshops to raise
money for the space. More info on the wiki, please contribute:
http://bit.ly/lhsFundraising

Any questions, fire away,

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Spike

Jul 14, 2010, 10:34:20 AM7/14/10
to London Hack Space

The new space looks wonderful! Many congratulations to the small group
of peeps who have been involved in the procurement.

I'm wondering if it's the sort of space that suitable for small
hackcampy, CrisisCampy like events?

Spike
> r...@garrett.co.uk

Russ Garrett

Jul 14, 2010, 10:36:14 AM7/14/10
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
On 14 July 2010 15:34, Spike <sp...@ugandanetwork.org.uk> wrote:

> The new space looks wonderful! Many congratulations to the small group
> of peeps who have been involved in the procurement.
>
> I'm wondering if it's the sort of space that suitable for small
> hackcampy, CrisisCampy like events?

Absolutely, we should have a lot more space for these kind of things
now. We would probably want to ask for a donation towards the space
now, but it would be fairly nominal for non-profits.

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Spike

Jul 14, 2010, 10:40:52 AM7/14/10
to London Hack Space
> r...@garrett.co.uk

Thanks Russ! Just askin!

Spike

martind

Jul 14, 2010, 2:31:12 PM7/14/10
to London Hack Space
If you haven't followed the discussion on IRC: there are some photos
and a video of unit 24 at
http://wiki.hackspace.org.uk/wiki/Cremer_Business_Centre

It's a lovely space. Everybody is quite excited about this. Now's the
best time to become a member!
> r...@garrett.co.uk

martind

Jul 14, 2010, 2:35:49 PM7/14/10
to London Hack Space
> It's a lovely space. Everybody is quite excited about this. Now's the
> best time to become a member!

...which you do by going to
http://london.hackspace.org.uk/membership.php

:)

Ciarán Mooney

Jul 15, 2010, 5:52:08 PM7/15/10
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Would Jonty or Russ like to do a talk for GLLUG as part of this new
drive for subscriptions? I organise the talks each month and usually
struggle to find a speaker. We usually meet on the 3rd Thursday of the
month and talks last about 1hr.

The group tend to be sys-admins and the like, but I'm sure they'll be
at least a few ham radio etc enthusiasts who would like to hear about
LHS.

Maybe bring along some of the things that have been made on the Maker
bot, or stickers that can be given away with donations?

Another I'd like to have at the GLLUG would be about the Arduino
platform. It;s background, license, work done with it, extendibility
etc. If anyone has a lot of experience I think it would make another
great talk, especially if there we're demonstrations.

Ciarán

Jonty Wareing

Jul 15, 2010, 6:30:26 PM7/15/10
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I talked at GLLUG a year or so ago, I'm quite happy to put on a repeat performance..

--jonty

Charles Yarnold

Jul 15, 2010, 6:37:52 PM7/15/10
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
You could also give your "how to make bubbles" demonstration.