bike chain

Jasper Wallace

Jan 10, 2011, 6:02:05 PM1/10/11
to london-hack-space

Sam Cook

Jan 11, 2011, 6:36:49 AM1/11/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
looking at chain supplies do we need to buy the heaviest? assuming that we can buy it as a single length (rather than three, 3m sections as this form suggests) it will cost £76.53

I know people's bikes are precious to them but this seems reasonably tough chain and would be right out side the hackspace: not exactly a major through-fare.

thoughts?

Sam Cook

Jan 11, 2011, 6:37:04 AM1/11/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Steff

Jan 11, 2011, 6:58:29 AM1/11/11
On 11 January 2011 11:36, Sam Cook <sc...@hep.ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
> looking at chain supplies do we need to buy the heaviest? assuming that we
> can buy it as a single length (rather than three, 3m sections as this form
> suggests) it will cost £76.53

FWIW, 16mm is generally regarded as not cropperable. Anything less is
a bit of a tradeoff. Depressing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQSk4O5cgfs

Thieves in London are _very_ well equipped (bear in mind they nick
tools too) with such things as cordless rebar cutters, grinders,
monster bolt croppers etc. The authoritative source on this is
probably http://www.lfgss.com/thread17938.html

Sam Cook

Jan 11, 2011, 7:03:28 AM1/11/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
My point was more that we're on the second floor of what is supposed to be a gated area, admittedly I'm not too bothered about my bike as it's not that expensive but I would also hope that there are enough people coming & going as well as a security guard on the gate that we shouldn't need the 16mm, that being said if that's what people think we need that's fair enough.

Paul Dart

Jan 11, 2011, 7:12:04 AM1/11/11
On 11 January 2011 12:03, Sam Cook <sc...@hep.ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
My point was more that we're on the second floor of what is supposed to be a gated area, admittedly I'm not too bothered about my bike as it's not that expensive but I would also hope that there are enough people coming & going as well as a security guard on the gate that we shouldn't need the 16mm, that being said if that's what people think we need that's fair enough.

I guess the way to find out is to do what we do for everything: Start a pledge!

If people are bothered they will pay an appropriate amount. If it doesn't reach the target on the other hand, then perhaps something cheaper would be more appropriate.

Alex Pounds

Jan 11, 2011, 7:19:02 AM1/11/11
On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 12:12:04PM +0000, Paul Dart wrote:
> If people are bothered they will pay an appropriate amount.

More likely, if people are bothered they will keep their bikes inside
instead - the act we're trying to avoid.

--
Alex Pounds .~. http://www.alexpounds.com/
/V\ http://www.ethicsgirls.com/

Sam Cook

Jan 11, 2011, 7:54:55 AM1/11/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
in a hope of moving this along I've made a pledge page along with some basic costings of options from chain-suppies (who will sell us cut chain rather than a minimum of a 10m reel)

http://wiki.hackspace.org.uk/wiki/Pledges/BikeChain

I really don't care what we go for feel free to add further _information_ to that page and keep discussion here

kev

Jan 11, 2011, 8:40:51 AM1/11/11
to London Hackspace

On Jan 11, 12:54 pm, Sam Cook <sc...@hep.ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
> in a hope of moving this along I've made a pledge page along with some basic
> costings of options from chain-suppies (who
>
> I really don't care what we go for feel free to add further _information_ to
> that page and keep discussion here

kev

Jan 11, 2011, 8:48:21 AM1/11/11
to London Hackspace
On Jan 11, 12:54 pm, Sam Cook <sc...@hep.ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
> in a hope of moving this along I've made a pledge page along with some basic
> costings of options from chain-suppies

Sorry for my last erroneous post I'm getting used to selecting text /
typing on this new phone :/

Anyway - do we also need padlocks? I can get some rather good ones for
favourable prices see
http://www.flashlight-heaven.co.uk/shop/squire-stronghold-ss65e-ss65s-open-shackle-65mm-padlock-p-141.html
probably GBP30 all said and done. Although this is still not as cheap
as free if people already have some they can provide.

Kevin

Elliot West

Jan 11, 2011, 8:53:21 AM1/11/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Can we please move this discussion to the infrastructure list and/or the wiki page created for this pledge.

Sam Cook

Jan 11, 2011, 9:09:59 AM1/11/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
moved:
http://groups.google.com/group/london-hack-space-infrastructure/browse_thread/thread/edea23c6c15755bf

this is a copy:  PLEASE DONT REPLY HERE

Kevin,

The padlocks seem to be the simplest, non-permanent method by which we can
attach the chain to the front balcony. If that's a cheaper supplier of
locks: excellent & please add the information to the pledge page. The lock
info I listed there is just what I found on the chain-supply page because I
was feeling lazy and know next to nothing about locks (ie which are secure,
what's a good price etc). What ever we do need at least two because I'm
pretty sure there will be objections if we make attach a chain to the
balcony we can't then remove.

Sam

PS I've copied what I think are the main posts from the previous thread
below the links are here:
http://wiki.hackspace.org.uk/wiki/Pledges/BikeChain <- pledge page
http://www.flashlight-heaven.co.uk/shop/squire-stronghold-ss65e-ss65s...<-
padlocks