Dungeons and Dragons night

Charles Yarnold

May 22, 2011, 7:58:29 AM5/22/11
to Hackspace Mailing List
Some discussion on IRC has shown an interest in having a game or 2 of d&d, I'm separating it from the main board games night as d&d normally stretches over many play sessions (and it would be nice to be able to attend both!)

While I would love to run this myself, the last time I plaid d&d was >6 years ago and my memory of how to play is a little to hazy to run a game.

So, how many people are interested, and are you able to DM the game? (dates and times can be thrashed out once we have enough interested people)

Sol

Tim Storey

May 22, 2011, 8:05:51 AM5/22/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I haven't played for a long time but I would be very intereted in playing again. I was never any good as a DM though.

Sam Kelly

May 22, 2011, 8:51:02 AM5/22/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

I'd very much like to play - been missing D&D lately. Haven't played 4th, but everything else, and I have some of the books.

Sam

Phish

May 22, 2011, 4:57:05 PM5/22/11
to London Hackspace
I'd love to join, if you'll have me.
Never actually played before, but hung around with a fair few people
that have.
I also seem to have a character sheet from way back in the mists of
time, although nobody ever seems to want to let me use it... :(

Glen

May 22, 2011, 5:40:49 PM5/22/11
to London Hackspace
I've played D&D recently.

Version 3.5 is more role play, where 4.0 is more roll play. Story
telling V's table top battles.

Though I've never GMed I know the rules so could have a go at doing it
if no one better comes forward.

Glen

Lester Hawksby

May 22, 2011, 5:42:30 PM5/22/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

You have found a +2 Reply of Affirmation.

I agree that D&D is a worthy pursuit but not a good fit for the sort of board game night discussed on the other thread.

I can't really take on DMing at the moment but hope to in future.

In terms of books I have almost all the 3.5 edition rulebooks (that's about 3 feet of shelf!); the 4e core (not my thing; it's a good tactical boardgame but too inflexible if you want to run scenes that aren't minis on a grid); a fraction of 2nd ed (from back before there was any kind of system; each part of the rules used a different mechanic!) if we suffer a bout of 80s nostalgia.

Lester

Will Pearson

May 22, 2011, 7:34:09 PM5/22/11
to London Hackspace

On May 22, 10:42 pm, Lester Hawksby <lesterhawk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You have found a +2 Reply of Affirmation.
>
> I agree that D&D is a worthy pursuit but not a good fit for the sort of
> board game night discussed on the other thread.
>
> I can't really take on DMing at the moment but hope to in future.
>
> In terms of books I have almost all the 3.5 edition rulebooks (that's about
> 3 feet of shelf!); the 4e core (not my thing; it's a good tactical boardgame
> but too inflexible if you want to run scenes that aren't minis on a grid); a
> fraction of 2nd ed (from back before there was any kind of system; each part
> of the rules used a different mechanic!) if we suffer a bout of 80s
> nostalgia.

I've got a bit of 2nd ed as well, in a loft in Devon (give me a long
lead time to get them out though). I think I can look out the
Dragonlance source book, and a fair bit of planescape stuff as well.
And the core rules. Oh and WHFRP (I played more of that back in the
day) core rules, if people fancy a bit of Grim.

Not that interested in playing myself, though. Been too long and I
don't want the commitment.

Will

ATNMY

May 23, 2011, 4:03:45 AM5/23/11
to London Hackspace
Been a long time since I played but I'd be well up for helping set up
some D&D!...

Darren McDonald

May 23, 2011, 4:15:59 AM5/23/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

On a related note theres a rpg club which runs every monday, 2000-2300 in redhill, surrey. If anyone lives down that way and would like an introduction to the group, do let me know.Currently there are two games running, traveller and starwars.

Callum Finlayson

May 23, 2011, 4:52:56 AM5/23/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'll briefly de-lurk to suggest folk interested in D&D but disliking
4e may wish to take a look at Pathfinder by Paizo; essentially an
updated version of the 3.5 rules with an associated setting that owes
a lot to Greyhawk.

Clare Greenhalgh

May 23, 2011, 6:05:47 AM5/23/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
It is so long since I played I will have to read something about it first..... Definitely want to though!

Noko