London Junk Space redux

Mark Steward

Nov 5, 2011, 8:16:31 PM11/5/11
to London Hackspace
Hi all,

After our fantastic clean-out last week, I'd like to propose some more
items to be removed from the workshop. With the exception of the
shoe, these are all too large for the 3-week system. I really dislike
having to do this, but it's the best way we've come up with so far to
keep the space manageable.

If anything on the following list is yours, please reply to the list
with details of when you can taken away or why it should stay longer.
In particular, I think a discussion on the merits of the different
trolleys would be useful. Anything left in the workshop on 22nd
November will be thrown away or be given up for grabs (on the
understanding that it will be taken away shortly thereafter).

http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/User:Ms7821/London-junk-space/2011-11-02#Things_to_get_rid_of

Cheers,
Mark

PhilipClevberger

Nov 5, 2011, 8:25:30 PM11/5/11
to London Hackspace
I also wonder if that big board with the big wheels should be kept?
Its now located in the isle by the boxes.
It's been around for a few months now and I havn't seen anyone working
on it or used it for anything?
>  http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/User:Ms7821/London-junk-spac...
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

Mark Steward

Nov 5, 2011, 8:42:11 PM11/5/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I didn't include that one, because we're attempting to address collaborative projects in a separate way:

  http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Projects_at_risk#Quad_trolley

It's Phish and someone else's project, and I think the "do not hack" sticker is valid until around Christmas.  I agree it should go if we don't see any progress by then.

Mark

Monty

Nov 5, 2011, 9:00:37 PM11/5/11
to London Hackspace
"4. An apparently working lamp. Did someone empty a lighting shop?"
http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/File:Kept_2011-11-02_20.16.51.jpg

Isn't that the lamp that lived in the social area? It's pretty handy
for when reading on the couch.

On Nov 6, 12:16 am, Mark Steward <markstew...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/User:Ms7821/London-junk-spac...
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

cepm...@yahoo.co.uk

Nov 5, 2011, 9:16:13 PM11/5/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
The wooden shelves are a pair of speaker boxes that I saw being worked
upon last month (can`t remember who by) Are the speakers in the cardboard
boxes part of this project?

Phil

--
" et cognoscetis veritatem et veritas liberabit vos. "

On Sun, 06 Nov 2011 00:16:31 -0000, Mark Steward <marks...@gmail.com>
wrote

Mark Steward

Nov 5, 2011, 9:22:06 PM11/5/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Don't think so - the wooden shelves had a different name on.  The wooden shelves only arrived recently, but they don't have an expected finishing date iirc.

Mark

Sci

Nov 5, 2011, 11:34:02 PM11/5/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
The heater units are intended for use making the space a vacuum-forming
machine.
I'm not sure if anyone specific in handling the project though. There's
been a number of people discussing it, but no one person is currently
the go-to person for it.

Sci

Alec Wright

Nov 6, 2011, 5:58:06 AM11/6/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
The wooden printer has nothing to do with me

Billy

Nov 6, 2011, 6:26:41 AM11/6/11
to London Hackspace

This lighting system was one of mine,
http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/File:Junked_2011-11-02_20.15.20.jpg

It had some very functional transformers, which was the reason i
picked it up.

And this one, http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/File:Junked_2011-11-02_20.20.15.jpg
wasn't broken. It was an expensive and functional designer lamp, with
steel tubes for the base. I was going to recycle the metal to the
metal bin...

However, both of these were my own fault, for not sorting them out in
time.

The bike trailer, http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/File:Kept_2011-11-02_20.00.56.jpg
i'll remove this week.

As for the bike frames, http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/File:Kept_2011-11-02_20.00.56.jpg
I think that the black and orange one belongs to someone, and is a
work-in-progress. The red one was brought in by Phil. One wheel needs
some spokes replacing, but it';s otherwise functional. Ask Phil for
details.

Yes, i should have sorted out my stuff a lot sooner. I've had some
personal issues that i needed to sort out. It's why i haven't been in
that much recently.

On Nov 6, 10:58 am, Alec Wright <ale...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The wooden printer has nothing to do with me
>
> On 6 November 2011 00:16, Mark Steward <markstew...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
>
> > After our fantastic clean-out last week, I'd like to propose some more
> > items to be removed from the workshop.  With the exception of the
> > shoe, these are all too large for the 3-week system.  I really dislike
> > having to do this, but it's the best way we've come up with so far to
> > keep the space manageable.
>
> > If anything on the following list is yours, please reply to the list
> > with details of when you can taken away or why it should stay longer.
> > In particular, I think a discussion on the merits of the different
> > trolleys would be useful. Anything left in the workshop on 22nd
> > November will be thrown away or be given up for grabs (on the
> > understanding that it will be taken away shortly thereafter).
>
> >http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/User:Ms7821/London-junk-spac...
>
> > Cheers,
> > Mark

Mark Steward

Nov 6, 2011, 9:22:12 AM11/6/11
On Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 11:26 AM, Billy <bi...@billycomputersmith.com> wrote:

This lighting system was one of mine,
http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/File:Junked_2011-11-02_20.15.20.jpg

It had some very functional transformers, which was the reason i
picked it up.

And this one, http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/File:Junked_2011-11-02_20.20.15.jpg
wasn't broken. It was an expensive and functional designer lamp, with
steel tubes for the base. I was going to recycle the metal to the
metal bin...

Argh, sorry Billy. This is why I hate having to blitz the space.  For future ref, a "do not hack" or "please hack" sticker will give things reprieve, or allow someone else to save you the effort of stripping it down.

However, both of these were my own fault, for not sorting them out in
time.

The bike trailer, http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/File:Kept_2011-11-02_20.00.56.jpg
i'll remove this week.

As for the bike frames, http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/File:Kept_2011-11-02_20.00.56.jpg
I think that the black and orange one belongs to someone, and is a
work-in-progress. The red one was brought in by Phil. One wheel needs
some spokes replacing, but it';s otherwise functional. Ask Phil for
details.

I'll put stickers on both when I'm next in the space.  Do you know if there are there other frames that aren't being worked on that these can be swapped with?

Martin Klang

Nov 6, 2011, 9:42:31 AM11/6/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

"Things to get rid of
1. A load of trolleys. I know the red one is Nigel's and the bike trolley is Billy's. Do we really need all of these?"

The riot trolley with hackspace logo comes from me.
http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/File:Kept_2011-11-02_20.00.48.jpg

I'll have it back if it is not wanted.

/m

Mark Steward

Nov 6, 2011, 10:01:21 AM11/6/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
That's the question: which of these are wanted?  I don't think we'd want to get rid of them all.  There's currently:

  Black porter's trolley
  Red porter's trolley (Nigel)
  Flat bed trolley (Mars)
  Trailer with compartments (Billy)

The black one looks more sturdy than the red one, and Billy's will attach to a bike.  Both the porter's trolleys are easy to stow away, but I think the flat bed trolley is best for carrying anything bulky.

I'm used to everything coming in flight cases or being carried. Anyone know of situations where these have been useful? The only use I can think of is heavy machinery.

Mark

Will Pearson

Nov 6, 2011, 10:18:28 AM11/6/11
to London Hackspace
+1 for keeping the flat bed trolley.

I've used it for

Fetching the display case
Taking down heavy bits of rubbish (when we had the skip)
Random other things I can't remember.

Will

On Nov 6, 3:01 pm, Mark Steward <markstew...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That's the question: which of these are wanted?  I don't think we'd want to
> get rid of them all.  There's currently:
>
>   Black porter's trolley
>   Red porter's trolley (Nigel)
>   Flat bed trolley (Mars)
>   Trailer with compartments (Billy)
>
> The black one looks more sturdy than the red one, and Billy's will attach
> to a bike.  Both the porter's trolleys are easy to stow away, but I think
> the flat bed trolley is best for carrying anything bulky.
>
> I'm used to everything coming in flight cases or being carried. Anyone know
> of situations where these have been useful? The only use I can think of is
> heavy machinery.
>
> Mark
>

> On Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 2:42 PM, Martin Klang <m...@pingdynasty.com> wrote:
>
> > "Things to get rid of
> > 1. A load of trolleys. I know the red one is Nigel's and the bike trolley
> > is Billy's. Do we really need all of these?"
>
> > The riot trolley with hackspace logo comes from me.
> >http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/File:Kept_2011-11-02_20.00.4...
>
> > I'll have it back if it is not wanted.
>
> > /m
>
> > On 6 Nov 2011, at 11:26, Billy wrote:
>
> > > The bike trailer,
> >http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/File:Kept_2011-11-02_20.00.5...

Adrian Godwin

Nov 6, 2011, 11:59:18 AM11/6/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
How about putting the bike trolley in the bike shed ? It's not as
likely to get nicked as an actual bike, and would save hauling it down
from the hackspace when it's needed.

-adrian

cepm...@yahoo.co.uk

Nov 6, 2011, 2:31:49 PM11/6/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
The Red bike can go..... It was going to be repaired and left here for
anyone who wanted to use/borrow for trips to the late night shop etc. As
usual, it never got done..... good intentions and all that.....

Sci

Nov 6, 2011, 4:13:20 PM11/6/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
> As for the bike frames, http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/File:Kept_2011-11-02_20.00.56.jpg
> I think that the black and orange one belongs to someone, and is a
> work-in-progress.

If it's not, the front forks look useful. �_�

Sci

Tweaker

Nov 6, 2011, 5:35:50 PM11/6/11
to London Hackspace
Hi,
I'm responsible for dragging the black upright trolley to the space.
I didn't get it going,modifying it to a bike trolley,and from memory
Phil/Cepm. asked me what I was doing with it.
I do believe at some stage he sad that he had an interest in it,so I
said you can have it.I say,from my point of view,let it go.But perhaps
ask Phil,beforehand,if the interest in it still remain?
The flatbed trolley was very handy to move the servers with,so suggest
that one to be kept for future "hauls".

Tom

On Nov 6, 9:13 pm, Sci <s...@sci-fi-fox.com> wrote:
> > As for the bike frames,http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/File:Kept_2011-11-02_20.00.5...

Nigel Worsley

Nov 6, 2011, 6:56:43 PM11/6/11
Martin Klang wrote:
>> "Things to get rid of
>> 1. A load of trolleys. I know the red one is Nigel's and the bike trolley is Billy's. Do we really need all of these?"

No, we only need one.

> The riot trolley with hackspace logo comes from me.
> http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/File:Kept_2011-11-02_20.00.48.jpg
> I'll have it back if it is not wanted.

That is probably the best trolley to keep, it look substantially sturdier than mine.

Mine was originally left there because it had workshop machinery that I was delivering on it and we got locked out
of the space. I didn't want to hang around for a keyholder to arrive so went home, it appeared to be used fairly
often so I didn't bother collecting it. If it is no longer required then I will take it away, not sure when I can make it
to the space though. At the very latest it will be christmas, I have two weeks off work and plan on spending a fair
bit of that at the space.I might even be there long enough to hack something instead of repairing broken machinery.

During your epic tidy up you should have found an aluminium clad toolbox like thing, inside it is a projector that I
am hoping to be able to repair. It is a 3200 lumen XGA one, it died due to being rigged in a tent at a festival and
having water pour into it. It would be a very nice bit of kit for the space to have if I can get it working again.

Nigle

Nigel Worsley

Nov 6, 2011, 7:02:46 PM11/6/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
> The heater units are intended for use making the space a vacuum-forming
> machine.
> I'm not sure if anyone specific in handling the project though. There's
> been a number of people discussing it, but no one person is currently
> the go-to person for it.

They will be very useful for this project, and I think it is best that they stay attached to the metal - this acts as
a heat reflector and the vacuum former will need something heatproof to mount them on anyway. I don't get
to the space often enough to take ownership of this project, but if they are in danger of being scrapped then
I will try and get there to take them away until we are ready to use them.

Nigle