(Board) Games day

Sam Cook

May 21, 2011, 9:00:20 AM5/21/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys,

This has been mooted several times but we've not really done anything about it so here's another attempt:

Who would be interested in meeting up once or twice a month (?) to play board games, D&D, card games and/or what ever? I would suggest meeting on a weekend day around 12~1ish and then playing until people get bored.

It might be possible to meet up during the week but I have found that this doesn't work as well as by the time the game is set up it's too late to really play it (especially with marathon games like Arkham Horror or Illuminati).

Obviously if there is enough interest we can make this a more regular thing and if it looks like we'll be swamping the hackspace we could possibly move to a sympathetic pub or similar.

In terms of games it will be very much BYO and will probably require some pre warning so people know what to bring; with that in mind here are the games I have:

* Settlers of Catan (inc, seafarers expansion and both with 5-6 player addons)
* Power Grid
* War on terror
* Carcasonne
* Race for the Galaxy (with the 1st expansion)
* Munchkin
* Crunch
* Gloom
* Illuminati
* Arkham Horror
* Smallworld
* Shadows over Camelot (well it's bug's but nvm)
* Bedlum
* Zombies
* Grass
* Space Hulk (newest Ed.)
* Death Angel
* Flux (mis editions)

as well as several other traditional games and misc things

Also, yes I know I have a lot of games; so sue me :p

Clare Greenhalgh

May 21, 2011, 9:03:15 AM5/21/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Me!!! I love games and never have time or the right number of peeps to play so this sounds fab!
Squaaaa squeeee!

Noko

Alex Stapleton

May 21, 2011, 9:04:25 AM5/21/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
+2 (+/- 1)

Jim MacArthur

May 21, 2011, 9:22:56 AM5/21/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I would, especially on the weekends as I can't make it down during the week. I can bring Pandemic if anyone is interested :)

Will Pearson

May 21, 2011, 9:35:36 AM5/21/11
to London Hackspace
I'm interested in gamage and can possibly rustle up a couple of other
non-hackspace gamers to join us every so often.

Will

Sam Cook

May 21, 2011, 9:56:48 AM5/21/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Jim: pandemic = win!

Will: more players also = win!

Although I am wondering if we should figure out a max number of people for this to make sure we don't crowd out the quiet room.

Thoughts? I'd say we can fit a maximum of perhaps 18 people depending on how we arrange desks: I would assume 3 pairs of desks would be best giving nice big square playing surfaces, another option would be to make a big line of desks down the centre?

Nicholas FitzRoy-Dale

May 21, 2011, 10:23:57 AM5/21/11

On 21/05/2011, at 2:00 PM, Sam Cook wrote:

> Who would be interested in meeting up once or twice a month (?) to play board games, D&D, card games and/or what ever? I would suggest meeting on a weekend day around 12~1ish and then playing until people get bored.

Catie and I are possibly up for this. Catie says she can bring "the Shab-al-Hiri roach". The only thing I know about this game is that it comes with a plastic cockroach.

Wren Montgomery

May 21, 2011, 10:38:54 AM5/21/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
With a little lead time, I can potentially bring Dominon and whichever expansion I bought (Seaside?).

Nigel Worsley

May 21, 2011, 11:52:58 AM5/21/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Games day sounds very good to me.

> here are the games I have:

<snip>

I haven't heard of ANY of those!

> Catie says she can bring "the Shab-al-Hiri roach"

From what I read on the internet, that sounds a very interesting game.

> I can potentially bring Dominon

I know that one! I don't think I have ever played it sober...

Nigle

Billy

May 21, 2011, 11:56:50 AM5/21/11
to London Hackspace

If i can find it in the garage, i've got a Diplomacy set...

Sam Cook

May 21, 2011, 12:07:32 PM5/21/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
ah Diplomacy... the friendship breaker.

Nigle: They're mostly very good although some are very mood dependent (war on terror for example you can't really win and should be played more for comedy than anything else).

Nigel Worsley

May 21, 2011, 12:12:43 PM5/21/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
> They're mostly very good although some are very mood dependent (war on terror for example you can't really win and should
> be played more for comedy than anything else).

A bit like terrorist Cluedo then (eg. Aum Shinrikyo in Tokyo with Sarin) - I really should gather my ideas together and post
that on the internet some day.

Nigle

Catherine Flick

May 21, 2011, 12:16:21 PM5/21/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Catie says she can bring "the Shab-al-Hiri roach"

From what I read on the internet, that sounds a very interesting game.

Yeah! I was going to play it via Google Wave with some friends but GW ended up being kinda crap. I'm not sure if I still have the cockroach though - it may not have made it over from my previous house in Belgium. I'd be quite interested in giving it a go though sometime if I have some willing victims... :)

Catie

r.j.bra...@gmail.com

May 21, 2011, 12:34:46 PM5/21/11
to London Hackspace
I would very much like to do some casual board / tabletop gaming,
though I'm particularly bad at remembering rules.

I can offer Polarity, which is a two-person game involving magnets and
steady hands.

Robin

Nigel Worsley

May 21, 2011, 12:58:00 PM5/21/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
> I'm not sure if I still have the cockroach though

That probably doesn't matter, it doesn't seem to be included with the current version. We can always hack something
together , or just declare an object to be a telepathic cockroach regardless of its appearance. Anyone want to nominate
a politician :-)

Nigle

Sam Cook

May 21, 2011, 1:01:51 PM5/21/11
On 21 May 2011 17:12, Nigel Worsley <nig...@googlemail.com> wrote:
They're mostly very good although some are very mood dependent (war on terror for example you can't really win and should
be played more for comedy than anything else).

A bit like terrorist Cluedo then

More like terrorist risk but with better mechanics than risk

phil jones

May 21, 2011, 1:02:30 PM5/21/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hey! I've always wanted to play Illuminati!

If you're up for running a session, count me in.

phil

Sam Cook

May 21, 2011, 1:02:45 PM5/21/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Anyway

How does Saturday 28th (i.e. next saturday) sound for a first meeting? It means we can play late without people having to worry too much about work the day after and nothing else is in the events calendar for then.

Sam Cook

May 21, 2011, 1:06:11 PM5/21/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'll happily run a session of Illuminati; IIRC it has a maximum number of players of 6 and does require a few hours but is great fun.

I'm also happy to bring Settlers of Catan and a few small card games for those who don't want to commit a huge block of time.

Any other requests? I've provisionally added Saturday 28th to the events calendar between 13:30 and 19:00.

Vickie Retallick

May 21, 2011, 2:42:50 PM5/21/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Cool, I would like to play Iluminati and/or Pandemic, haven't played either.

I could bring along a couple of the following and maybe some willing players

Card games
- Munchkin
- Martian Fluxx
- Space pirate amazon ninja catgirls
Board games
- Catan
- Zombies!!
- Dune
- Puerto Rico
- Agricola
- Shadows over Camelot
- Mansions of Madness
- BSG (probably too long)

There's a nice board gaming club who meet at st Christophers Inn near London Bridge on Sundays
http://www.crossgamingclub.com/forum/
They meet irreguarly as there is sporadic interest. Another great thing is the amazing food and Belgian beers they serve.

Vickie

Wren Montgomery

May 21, 2011, 3:25:50 PM5/21/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Any chance of Sunday instead?

The Vulcan (http://www.vulcantothesky.org/) is flying Saturday at the Southend Air Show (http://www.visitsouthend.co.uk/whats-on/flying-display-air-festival.aspx).  It's probably one of the last chances to see a Vulcan in flight since the group has run out of money at this point.

Wren

Sam Cook

May 21, 2011, 3:37:40 PM5/21/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
We can run on other days as well. The Saturday was just the first day that came to mind as it means people don't have to worry about work the day after. I already know of several people who want a Friday night session as well as other days. Saturday was just the first day that came to mind.

Paul Dart

May 21, 2011, 5:28:29 PM5/21/11
On 21 May 2011 19:42, Vickie Retallick <vreta...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There's a nice board gaming club who meet at st Christophers Inn near London
> Bridge on Sundays
> http://www.crossgamingclub.com/forum/
> They meet irreguarly as there is sporadic interest. Another great thing is
> the amazing food and Belgian beers they serve.
>
> Vickie

There was also a meetup group that met downstairs in a pub near St
Paul's. I went along with Dom once.

There is also scrabblesundays as well for those kind of people. That's
pretty good.

I would be up for something like scrabble/chess, maybe have a go at
Go? Or some relatively short/simple games.

Paul

Katie Sutton

May 21, 2011, 9:15:25 PM5/21/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
+1, can also offer
* Killer Bunnies
* Apples to Apples (British Edition)
* Ticket to Ride US edition
* London Underground game (for the tube geeks amongst us)

On 21 May 2011 14:00, Sam Cook <sam.lind...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Katie Sutton
http://tajasel.org

"The ‘Net is a waste of time, and that’s exactly what’s right about
it." ~ William Gibson

Andy Smith

May 22, 2011, 3:08:04 AM5/22/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

I'm interested in some games sessions. I can bring:

  * War on Terror

  * Labryinth

  * Up a Bit

  * Chatterbox

Weekends aren't usually good for me (I prefer weekday evenings) but will come along to any of the events if I can make it.

Cheers,

Andy

believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.

Tom Scott

May 22, 2011, 6:45:17 AM5/22/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Definitely in at some point, although I won't be able to make it this Saturday!

Glen

May 22, 2011, 7:07:05 AM5/22/11
to London Hackspace
I have many D&D 3.5 books.

Will Pearson

May 22, 2011, 7:23:52 AM5/22/11
to London Hackspace

On May 21, 6:02 pm, Sam Cook <sam.lindenrat...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyway
>
> How does Saturday 28th (i.e. next saturday) sound for a first meeting? It
> means we can play late without people having to worry too much about work
> the day after and nothing else is in the events calendar for then.

Put me down for 2-3 coming next saturday.

Will

Mark Steward

May 22, 2011, 7:40:02 AM5/22/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Totally in!

Tim Storey

May 22, 2011, 7:46:55 AM5/22/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'd be up for next saturday as well

Katie Sutton

May 22, 2011, 9:13:33 AM5/22/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I can do up til about 5pm next Saturday.

Matt Peperell

May 22, 2011, 2:29:12 PM5/22/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'll be there too, with a selection of games. Seems like there'll be
a load of us - it should be a great afternoon.

Phish

May 22, 2011, 4:52:00 PM5/22/11
to London Hackspace
I'm In, although please not sundays?
some of us work stupid hours in rubbish jobs!

Dave Durant

May 22, 2011, 8:14:15 PM5/22/11
to London Hackspace

Upwards of choice of 30 games that could be brought in. Also can
supply many other people who like to play games.

If space or available flat surfaces limited at the 'space suggest
Gameforce (http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/GameforceHQ/).

tom

May 23, 2011, 5:03:13 AM5/23/11
to London Hackspace
ooh if we do it at weekends my GF's up here and she'll be up for this
too.

I've got arkham horror and 2 of the big-box addons for it too :)

Sam Cook

May 23, 2011, 10:31:29 AM5/23/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Should we try to co-ordinate what we bring? a) so we get a good range and b) so we don't double up (with added risk of stuff going home in-correctly, I don't need two red sets for catan)

I'm very keen to play illuminati and I have the expansion which means up to 8 of us can play; it will need several hours as well as a fairly large amount of table space.

I'll also bring Catan as it is one of the best games around.

Any other requests?

tom

May 23, 2011, 1:53:33 PM5/23/11
to London Hackspace
i live fairly locally so i can bring whatever, put me down for 2 of
us :)

On May 23, 3:31 pm, Sam Cook <sam.lindenrat...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Should we try to co-ordinate what we bring? a) so we get a good range and b)
> so we don't double up (with added risk of stuff going home in-correctly, I
> don't need two red sets for catan)
>
> I'm very keen to play illuminati and I have the expansion which means up to
> 8 of us can play; it will need several hours as well as a fairly large
> amount of table space.
>
> I'll also bring Catan as it is one of the best games around.
>
> Any other requests?

Dave Durant

May 24, 2011, 7:36:24 AM5/24/11
to London Hackspace

As always with such things it's going to be down to someone picking a
date (or creating a page on Doodle) and a venue. Personally I don't
think the Space is an good for this. We have far too many people who
want to take part and lots of these games (Archam Horror!) take up
large amounts of table space.

Me wife and I run a one-off games con for just about a dozen of our
friends for our wedding anniversary every year and that takes up a
sizeable pub back-room...

Dave Durant

May 24, 2011, 7:37:49 AM5/24/11
to London Hackspace

That said - I've never been to a pub that's minded people playing
games there (as long as they are eating / drinking too) so perhaps
it's just a case of picking a large relatively quiet one near the
Space and invading there...

tom

May 24, 2011, 7:38:35 AM5/24/11
to London Hackspace
ooh london bridge on tuesdays? i might pop down to that

Sam Cook

May 24, 2011, 7:43:47 AM5/24/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I think for the first session we may as well try it out at the space, for two reasons: first there is often a lot greater response on the mailing list than actually make it along to the event, secondly it means that it is removed from a pub so it's free (there are many of us with limited funds) and also less emphasis on drinking.

If it looks like it's going to be very busy we can look at making it a very regular thing (say every Friday evening and then once a month on Saturday or Sunday) which often reduces numbers once people realise it's not going away, if it's still too busy we can look at likely pubs to invade.

One problem I'd have with pubs is that they do have to be sympathetic if we're going to be taking over large areas (eg for Arkham Horror). Part of the aim of this is to make it possible to play the big games that are generally tricky to get sorted else where. Eg I have plans to try and run a 4 or 6 player game of Space Hulk which will take up a huge amount of space (will probably have to be a one-off game at a quiet time midweek)

gilda

May 24, 2011, 7:49:13 AM5/24/11
to London Hackspace

Ok I realize this is going to sound unbelievably geeky but I miss
playing Netrunner (the card game). I've forgotten all the rules but I
remember it was awesome.
Does anyone still have a deck and would anyone like to play with me?

Sam Cook

May 24, 2011, 7:51:06 AM5/24/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I've not played netrunner and will have to avoid it on the grounds that I already have a ton of M:TG cards and I don't need another CCG eating cash & time.

much as I enjoy them....

Lester Hawksby

May 24, 2011, 8:05:53 AM5/24/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Is anyone else here familiar with the boardgame Hard Vacuum? I loved it and really miss it but no-one I know wants simultaneous-action vector space combat... in the 1940s! Reckon I am more likely to find someone up for trying that in the Hackspace than anywhere else I know. The rules are really simple and elegant. Works well "n on n" (for n = 1...8)

Lester

Matt Peperell

May 24, 2011, 8:09:47 AM5/24/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
On 24 May 2011 12:37, Dave Durant <chol...@gmail.com> wrote:

The Pembury Tavern in Hackney actively welcome people playing games.
Frequently on a Sunday evening there'll be a load of various games in
session. Furthermore, they're one of the rare pubs which have a bar
billiards table.

They also have a huge selection of real ales, for those who like that
sort of thing.

Sam Cook

May 24, 2011, 8:11:01 AM5/24/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'm always interested in trying new games and this sounds fun.

spooq

May 24, 2011, 8:17:52 AM5/24/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
London on Board are a friendly group that meet in pubs, often at the
Red Herring pub.

http://www.meetup.com/LondonOnBoard/

Luke

spooq

May 24, 2011, 8:32:57 AM5/24/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Will Pearson

May 24, 2011, 9:11:59 AM5/24/11
to London Hackspace
I too loved the netrunner. Sadly I'm not sure where my deck is (I gave
away a bunch of cards at one point so I wouldn't keep collecting).
I'll see if I can borrow a deck off a friend, but that might a few
months or so.

Will

Lester Hawksby

May 24, 2011, 9:16:58 AM5/24/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Wasn't it Netrunner that popularised the phrase "There's too much blood in my caffeine system"?

Think I have some somewhere, I shall look

Lester

Dave Durant

May 24, 2011, 10:32:35 AM5/24/11
to London Hackspace

> The Pembury Tavern in Hackney actively welcome people playing games.

Looks good to me although I understand the reasons why Sam wants to
play at the Space.

I guess it's up to someone to put a stick in the ground and stop the
debate...

cepm...@yahoo.co.uk

May 24, 2011, 12:11:58 PM5/24/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Ludo?
Tiddlywinks?
Penny-up-the-wall?
Oh, and don`t forget Snakes and Ladders....

Sam Cook

May 25, 2011, 5:01:27 AM5/25/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
If you like, Ludo can be pretty evil depending on the rules you use.

tom

May 25, 2011, 6:21:37 AM5/25/11
to London Hackspace
so is saturday happening at the space?

On May 25, 10:01 am, Sam Cook <sam.lindenrat...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If you like, Ludo can be pretty evil depending on the rules you use.

Catherine Flick

May 25, 2011, 6:26:22 AM5/25/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'll be there! I probably won't bring Roach this time though, I have to go find the cards :)

C.

tom

May 25, 2011, 7:09:44 AM5/25/11
to London Hackspace
awesome, and if it gets too packed we can go take over a pub!

On May 25, 11:26 am, Catherine Flick <lie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'll be there! I probably won't bring Roach this time though, I have to go
> find the cards :)
>
> C.

Jim MacArthur

May 25, 2011, 7:38:45 AM5/25/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I can't make it this weekend, keep the list posted when you do the next one though :)

Jim

Sam Cook

May 25, 2011, 8:00:15 AM5/25/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Yes, we'll be in the space. I'll be there from about 1pm onwards

spooq

May 25, 2011, 8:32:44 AM5/25/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'll come along if someone is up for playing one of the games listed
in my owned list? Sorry, but not really up for a day of random euros
:)

Luke

Dave Durant

May 25, 2011, 9:48:05 AM5/25/11
to London Hackspace

You do know it's MCM Expo (http://www.londonexpo.com/) this
weekend...?

I hope there's more than one games day :-)

Sam Cook

May 25, 2011, 9:09:52 AM5/25/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'm always happy to play catan (although I don't have Cities & Knights). Also would like to give race for the galaxy a go.

Illuminati (FWIW) isn't a Euro, tis a nuts Steve Jackson game

Sam Cook

May 25, 2011, 10:09:47 AM5/25/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
It's a little belated but I've made us a wiki page [1] which has a sub page [2] for this Saturday's meeting.

You do know it's MCM Expo (http://www.londonexpo.com/) this
weekend...?

No I didn't know but now I do.

I hope there's more than one games day :-)

Hopefully there will be more games days

See you Saturday!

Sam Cook

May 27, 2011, 1:09:59 PM5/27/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hey all!

Just a reminder that the (first) gamesday is tomorrow, from 1:30pm, in the quiet room.

Hopefully see you there!

Clare Greenhalgh

May 27, 2011, 2:34:11 PM5/27/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Almost certain I can't make it now - blinding migraine most of the day today means work is delayed and I will almost certainly be working all weekend..... :'(

I really want to be there!

Noko
--
Clare Greenhalgh

Director

English Speech and Pronunciation Ltd

Company Registration Number 6984318

Tel 07801 732601

Confidentiality:  The information in this email and any attachments is confidential.  It is intended only for the named recipient(s).  If you are not the named recipient please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to another person or take copies.  The contents of this email or attachment may contain software viruses that could damage your own computer systems.  Whilst we have taken every reasonable precaution to minimise this risk, we cannot accept liability for any damage that you sustain as a result of software viruses.  You should therefore carry out your own virus checks before opening the attachments.

Sam Cook

May 28, 2011, 7:22:16 AM5/28/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Looks like I won't be able to make it due to unforeseen circumstances sorry and have fun

phil jones

May 28, 2011, 7:34:08 AM5/28/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Ah ... does anyone coming still have, and want to play, Illuminati?
I'm still keen on that, though only likely to get there about 2:30
ish.

phil

Sam Cook

Jun 1, 2011, 9:05:22 AM6/1/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Despite me failing to make it; it sounds like this went pretty well (I've had reports).

Anyone want another one, and if so when? I know there were a lot of calls for a non-Saturday event so maybe a Friday evening?

Dave Durant

Jun 1, 2011, 10:37:44 AM6/1/11
to London Hackspace

> Anyone want another one, and if so when?

Yes please (since I didn't make it either). Fridays in general are
good.

If people really like games then come along to Manorcon - it's great
for serious and casual gamers :-).

http://www.manorcon.org.uk/

Sam Cook

Jun 1, 2011, 10:46:15 AM6/1/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
> Anyone want another one, and if so when?

Yes please (since I didn't make it either). Fridays in general are
good.

I'm not sure that I'll be able to make any this month (prior engagements and going to Japan will get in the way) but there is nothing booked for the hackspace on any of the following Fridays (well nothing in the events calendar), I'll be back 1st July.

Anyone want to pick one?