USB update

Paul Rathbone

Mar 30, 2011, 7:48:16 PM3/30/11
to London Hackspace
Epic Win!

FTDI today sent us lots of lovely USB kit to play with. I've started
to post details here ...

http://wiki.hackspace.org.uk/wiki/Workshops/usb/equipment

... What they've sent us retails for <gulp> £611.80 on their website.

What's really exciting about this for me is that FTDI is a British
company so supporting them supports our economy - that's us. There's 8
dev kits including debug boards, prototyping shields ready for
construction, RS232/USB adapters, PSUs and 15 surface mount
Vinculum2s.

Also, their products are well documented and easy to use - they've
included a CD with all the useful information and utilities like data
sheets, dev environments plus an online version of a tutorial/
reference manual. And lots of ftdi pens.

I suggest we use what we've got as a 'float' or base stock. Feel free
to use non-consumables and return them but if you want to keep
anything or use consumables, pay the replacement costs. This stuff is
primarily intended for workshops so let's make sure it's available for
then.

I'll list everything on the '/equipment' page linked-to above and keep
the hardware in a box labelled USB Workshop/Group. I'll put a log book
in the box for you to sign-in/out equipment. There'll be a notes
column where you can explain how the goldfish ate your kit.

To get started, have a look at the PDF on the root of the CD "Embedded
USB Design By Example Rev 2.0", also available online ...
http://www.usb-by-example.com/FTDI_Book_C.pdf

PaulR

dannystaple

Mar 31, 2011, 2:57:58 AM3/31/11
to London Hackspace
On Mar 31, 12:48 am, Paul Rathbone <paulrathbonelon...@gmail.com>
wrote:
That is awesome. Did we get to an agreement on dates/etc yet? I'm
rather looking forward to this workshop.

Danny-orion

Paul Rathbone

Apr 1, 2011, 4:24:08 PM4/1/11
to London Hackspace
I've created http://wiki.hackspace.org.uk/wiki/Workshops/usb/equipment
and added pictures so you can see what we've got.

PaulR.

Paul Rathbone

Apr 22, 2011, 10:28:45 AM4/22/11
to London Hackspace
I've been holding out for a few things to happen and I'm now at the
'go ahead anyway' stage for the first workshops. Although there's lots
of things not as ready as I'd like them to be, this feels like the
right time to begin the process. I'll cap numbers at 8 (so if you just
turn up on the evening, you'll probably get in), don't worry if you
can't make it as I'll be running this again (... and again if there's
demand) over the coming weeks & months.

Date: 28 April. Time: 7-10pm. Place: Quiet Room.

As you probably know, my ultimate aim is to create USB hardware
interfaces to existing products, which means I'm focusing on HID class
devices. If you're interested and already have knowledge about how USB
works, please come! (the more I learn about USB, the more I realise
how much more there is to learn, so your input will be valuable). If
you're interested in learning about this particular direction of USB
(and I will be focused on hardware interfaces using the HID class),
this will be exactly your thing. You might have project ideas already
or perhaps are interested in brainstorming ideas. Newbie to seasoned
descriptor writer, whatever your interest & skill level, you're
welcome.

I'll post more information at the top of http://wiki.hackspace.org.uk/wiki/Workshops/usb.
If you haven't already, have a read of what else is on there to give
you a flavour.

I hope we can start to do some serious USB interfacing so I've started
a Hackspace USB mailing list - http://groups.google.com/group/london-hackspace-usb.
Please join and post anything to do with this there, including your
intention to come/dismay at not being able to come. I'll post wider
announcements on this list too. Please avoid responding to this post
here.

PaulR.

Mark.itto

Apr 22, 2011, 1:08:47 PM4/22/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
could you add this workshop in the event calendar please as a reminder?
just to confirm this will take place next Thursday?

i'm really interested have no experience with USB but have been waiting to get in to it for a while now maybe not HID but i guess at my point anything is allright.

thanks

Mark Steward

Apr 22, 2011, 2:42:40 PM4/22/11
On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 6:08 PM, Mark.itto <maco...@gmail.com> wrote:
could you add this workshop in the event calendar please as a reminder?
just to confirm this will take place next Thursday?

Umm, this has been in the calendar since 3pm this afternoon.  Is it not showing up for you?

Cheers,
Mark

Mark.itto

Apr 23, 2011, 7:01:59 AM4/23/11