More space improvements

Mark Steward

Apr 10, 2011, 7:59:27 PM4/10/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
In addition to the mess already mentioned[1][2], there was quite a lot of junk again by Sunday evening.  I don't have my IRC logs, so I'm going to put this in one email, because it's too much to work out individually.  Apologies if any of this has already been discussed:

1. A third fridge arrived during the week, brought by 'Tony'.  Nobody's mentioned this on the mailing list.  What's it for, and why do we need it?

2. Another bike frame has arrived in the workshop.  It's labelled "do not hack", but I can't find an accompanying mailing list post, and don't know the person by name.  I've also noticed that there's a red bike frame on the wall near the wood pile, and a dismantled lady's bike on the left balcony - any claimers?

3. A cash register arrived with the Dells last week, which might be fun to hack on: is anyone interested, or is it sellable?

4. There's also a sports bag next to it with a tripod and some audio adapters in.  Does anyone know whose this is?

5. In addition to the whiteboard, PaulR's kindly brought a small projector stand, labelled "on long-term loan".  I can't find a mailing list post - what's this for?

6. Difference has been replaced by a faster Dell, but the large case is still there.  Billy/Phil, are they a permanent fixture, or is there a plan to remove one of them?

7. The automatic coffee machine that has a damaged mechanism is still broken.  Sci (or anyone else), are you still interested in fixing this, or can we lay it to rest?

8. The bio-fuel cell is a bit past its best.  Can it be revitalised or emptied?

9. The enormous satellite dishes on the balcony were for short term keeping only.  Does anyone foresee a use for them, or shall we throw them away as well?

10. The huge rolls of laminate have gone.  Phil's taking some of this for his BR Cep, but I understand the rest was for the kitchen, which we've agreed to tiling.

11. The wakeboard is *still* in the space.  Samthetechie said he was taking it for his friend, but it just doesn't seem to want to go.

12. The kitchen was emptied at some point this week.  The greasiest equipment had been put for cleaning, but this was still hogging the sink by the time I left.  Some was shifted into the main room, covering up one of the tables.  The remainder had been spread along the balcony.  It's my understanding that the balconies are fire exits, and blocking them is A Bad Idea.  The stuff on the balcony also included a work bench, which shouldn't really be left out for the rain.

I realise that stuff needs rearranging in order to get things done, but please remember that the space will be in use after you go home, so it's crucial to let people know what's going on.

On the positive side, Phil's done some amazing work organising the wood pile and making maintainable space in the workshop.  We've got some shelves to put up tomorrow that Russ ordered, and the mini skips are working a treat - the area around Lovelace is free of mess for the first time since moving in.  I'm going to hoover and spot-clean the carpet tomorrow, so please settle in the quiet room if you don't want to be disturbed.

Cheers all,
Mark

Charles Yarnold

Apr 10, 2011, 8:16:05 PM4/10/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
2. ... and a dismantled lady's bike on the left balcony - any claimers?

This is Clare's bike, its being repaired and should still have a note on it, apologies if its no longer there.

12. The kitchen was emptied at some point this week.  The greasiest equipment had been put for cleaning, but this was still hogging the sink by the time I left.  Some was shifted into the main room, covering up one of the tables.  The remainder had been spread along the balcony.  It's my understanding that the balconies are fire exits, and blocking them is A Bad Idea.  The stuff on the balcony also included a work bench, which shouldn't really be left out for the rain.

This is my bad, I moved bits around to pull up the carpet. I left them so that you could still get to all the tables, I see from the cams they have been moved. I will be in Monday evening to finish this off, please move them out the way if needs be before hand.

Sol

Sam Cook

Apr 10, 2011, 8:17:48 PM4/10/11
On 11 April 2011 00:59, Mark Steward <marks...@gmail.com> wrote:
In addition to the mess already mentioned[1][2], there was quite a lot of junk again by Sunday evening.  I don't have my IRC logs, so I'm going to put this in one email, because it's too much to work out individually.  Apologies if any of this has already been discussed:

1. A third fridge arrived during the week, brought by 'Tony'.  Nobody's mentioned this on the mailing list.  What's it for, and why do we need it?

This was brought by the person who hosted the Sous-Vide event in case we wanted it; AFAIK it's trashable if not required. That being said if there's space in the kitchen a second fridge may be useful (as the one we have is generally full even without a full kitchen).

2. Another bike frame has arrived in the workshop.  It's labelled "do not hack", but I can't find an accompanying mailing list post, and don't know the person by name.  I've also noticed that there's a red bike frame on the wall near the wood pile, and a dismantled lady's bike on the left balcony - any claimers?

Another red bike frame? the remains of one were put in the metal pile when we tidied the area last week and the gear chain for it was stripped for parts (and I assume thrown in the skip but I had to leave before this).

5. In addition to the whiteboard, PaulR's kindly brought a small projector stand, labelled "on long-term loan".  I can't find a mailing list post - what's this for?

Do we need this? the small projector works pretty well when put in the ceiling of the quiet room and if I can I'll make a mount for it so it's a little more easily moved about up there (mainly as it's held in with gaffa tape at the moment).

10. The huge rolls of laminate have gone.  Phil's taking some of this for his BR Cep, but I understand the rest was for the kitchen, which we've agreed to tiling.

A cheaper option to tiling was to smooth the floor (which we'll need to do no matter what goes down) and paint with a combination of emulsion and PVA; this is apparently hardwearing and cheaper than buying tiles.

11. The wakeboard is *still* in the space.  Samthetechie said he was taking it for his friend, but it just doesn't seem to want to go.

If SamtheTechie doesn't want it/doesn't collect it I know Errant's brother is interested and I'll pick it up Tuesday.

On the positive side, Phil's done some amazing work organising the wood pile and making maintainable space in the workshop.  We've got some shelves to put up tomorrow that Russ ordered, and the mini skips are working a treat - the area around Lovelace is free of mess for the first time since moving in.  I'm going to hoover and spot-clean the carpet tomorrow, so please settle in the quiet room if you don't want to be disturbed.

Seconded! Although how much more organisation was needed of the wood pile? I know Billy, Will, Elliot and Neil blitzed it on Tuesday.....

Sci

Apr 10, 2011, 8:34:32 PM4/10/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Sci

Apr 10, 2011, 8:38:14 PM4/10/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Billy

Apr 10, 2011, 11:55:06 PM4/10/11
to London Hackspace

> 2. Another bike frame has arrived in the workshop.  It's labelled "do not
> hack", but I can't find an accompanying mailing list post, and don't know
> the person by name.  I've also noticed that there's a red bike frame on the
> wall near the wood pile, and a dismantled lady's bike on the left balcony -
> any claimers?

The red frame on the wall is one of mine. It's a little rusty, but i
found it in a skip. I think the white bike on the balcony is Clare's.

> 6. Difference has been replaced by a faster Dell, but the large case is
> still there.  Billy/Phil, are they a permanent fixture, or is there a plan
> to remove one of them?

Difference was made from spares i brought in, installed on a frame
that was floating around on the floor.

Turning rubbish into useful tools, etc. If it's been upgrade/replaced,
then dismantle for parts and re-use.

Let me know if anyone is definitely throwing it out, as i'd like the
graphics card and the RAM back, instead of binning it.

Either that or we re-purpose it for something else...

> 10. The huge rolls of laminate have gone.  Phil's taking some of this for
> his BR Cep, but I understand the rest was for the kitchen, which we've
> agreed to tiling.

That was just useful material i salvaged. What was used, got used,
what was surplus to requirements, got dumped. I found it before we'd
decided to tile the kitchen. I'm glad that some of it was used, but it
was also taking up a lot of room.

> 11. The wakeboard is *still* in the space.  Samthetechie said he was taking
> it for his friend, but it just doesn't seem to want to go.

Sam gave me his apologies for not picking it up sooner. It should be
gone by Monday.

> On the positive side, Phil's done some amazing work organising the wood pile
> and making maintainable space in the workshop.  We've got some shelves to
> put up tomorrow that Russ ordered, and the mini skips are working a treat -
> the area around Lovelace is free of mess for the first time since moving in.
>  I'm going to hoover and spot-clean the carpet tomorrow, so please settle in
> the quiet room if you don't want to be disturbed.

Yes! Phil's contribution has been incredible. Definitely worth
chatting to him about space design.

Adrian Godwin

Apr 11, 2011, 1:50:08 AM4/11/11

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 12:59 AM, Mark Steward <marks...@gmail.com> wrote:

5. In addition to the whiteboard, PaulR's kindly brought a small projector stand, labelled "on long-term loan".  I can't find a mailing list post - what's this for?

I definitely remember reading PaulR's comments about this, so maybe it was on IRC. It was brought in just before some workshop where the projector was expected to be a problem, though I think was solved with the ceiling tile arrangement in the end.

-adrian

Elliot West

Apr 11, 2011, 3:18:12 AM4/11/11
On 11 April 2011 04:55, Billy <bi...@billycomputersmith.com> wrote:
> I've also noticed that there's a red bike frame on the
> wall near the wood pile

The red frame on the wall is one of mine. It's a little rusty, but i
found it in a skip. I think the white bike on the balcony is Clare's.

The red bike frame has been on the wall for more than a month IIRC, the white bike has been on the balcony for many months. If the respective owners are not going to work on them within the next few weeks, can they be taken home please.

This is also a general note to all: If you're storing something large in the space and are not going to work on it in the next few weeks then please store it at home. Bring it back to the space when you're able to actively work on it.

Cheers - Elliot.

Russ Garrett

Apr 11, 2011, 3:47:04 AM4/11/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, Mark Steward
On 11 April 2011 00:59, Mark Steward <marks...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1. A third fridge arrived during the week, brought by 'Tony'.  Nobody's
> mentioned this on the mailing list.  What's it for, and why do we need it?

This should totally have been mentioned before it was brought. As it
stands, though, I'd like to keep it for brewing.

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Russ Garrett

Apr 11, 2011, 3:47:27 AM4/11/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, Sci
On 11 April 2011 01:38, Sci <s...@sci-fi-fox.com> wrote:
> If it's hackable, why not drill some holes and keep the beer kegs in a
> fridge at all times?

Because we already have one of those!

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Mark Steward

Apr 11, 2011, 4:10:09 AM4/11/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, Russ Garrett, Sci
On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 8:47 AM, Russ Garrett <ru...@garrett.co.uk> wrote:
On 11 April 2011 01:38, Sci <s...@sci-fi-fox.com> wrote:
> If it's hackable, why not drill some holes and keep the beer kegs in a
> fridge at all times?

Because we already have one of those!

And it's quite a nice fridge.

Martin Dittus

Apr 11, 2011, 4:23:04 AM4/11/11

On 11 Apr 2011, at 08:18, Elliot West wrote:

> The red bike frame has been on the wall for more than a month IIRC, the white bike has been on the balcony for many months. If the respective owners are not going to work on them within the next few weeks, can they be taken home please.

Iirc the white bike frame appeared just after we moved in. Initially it took up space in the old dirty room.

Sam Cook

Apr 11, 2011, 6:16:22 AM4/11/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Apr 11, 2011, 6:26:30 AM4/11/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

I would agree with Sam that a second food usable fridge would be most useful in the kitchen.

Sol

Sent from my Android, please excuse typos and spelling errors.

Russ Garrett

Apr 11, 2011, 6:38:38 AM4/11/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, Charles Yarnold
On 11 April 2011 11:26, Charles Yarnold <charles...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would agree with Sam that a second food usable fridge would be most useful
> in the kitchen.

I'm not sure. The current one is full of old, out-of-date food, so IMO
the addition of another one will just result in more mouldy food.

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Paul Rathbone

Apr 11, 2011, 6:58:35 AM4/11/11
to London Hackspace
5... http://wiki.hackspace.org.uk/wiki/Equipment/Projector/Stand

I hope this will be useful as a stand-by for if there's a problem with
the ceiling mounted projector; for using as a lectern, particularly
when Hackspace becomes a religion; for using with a projector anywhere
else in the space - I'm hoping to bring my projector and 6.1 surround
system in sometime to do something on the BIG SCREEN in 24 (http://
wiki.hackspace.org.uk/wiki/Equipment/Projector/MassiveScreen).

This is one of a number of items I've left on a suck-it-and-see basis.
If it's no use to anyone after a couple of months I'll take it home,
the cat likes to sit on it in the front window and approve passers-by.

Charles Yarnold

Apr 11, 2011, 11:17:31 AM4/11/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
As replied earlier, the bike belongs to nokomis, has been worked on by many members and takes up less room than the treb. It is a work in progress that is being worked on currently and hasn't just been abandoned in the space.

Sol

Mark Steward

Apr 11, 2011, 1:06:52 PM4/11/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I still haven't had any info on some items:

2. Another bike frame has arrived in the workshop.  It's labelled "do not hack", but I can't find an accompanying mailing list post, and don't know the person by name.

This is a green bike, and I think it shows the importance of mailing the list *before* bringing random stuff.

3. A cash register arrived with the Dells last week, which might be fun to hack on: is anyone interested, or is it sellable?

This will end up in the 3-week box tonight.

4. There's also a sports bag next to it with a tripod and some audio adapters in.  Does anyone know whose this is?

This will also be put in the 3-week box.

8. The bio-fuel cell is a bit past its best.  Can it be revitalised or emptied?

I'm going to empty this tonight.

9. The enormous satellite dishes on the balcony were for short term keeping only.  Does anyone foresee a use for them, or shall we throw them away as well?

I'll tie these back to the balcony tonight, but I think they should count their days numbered.

Mark

Jasper Wallace

Apr 11, 2011, 1:22:10 PM4/11/11
On Mon, 11 Apr 2011, Mark Steward wrote:

> 9. The enormous satellite dishes on the balcony were for short term
> keeping only.  Does anyone foresee a use for them, or shall we throw
> them away as well?

I was hopeing to use them for amsat and possible am radio astronomy. but
seeing as it's going to be ages till i have the time/skills to get round
to doing anything with them, and that we don't have roof access they might
as well go.

--
[http://pointless.net/] [0x2ECA0975]

Bugs Binny

Apr 12, 2011, 2:51:39 PM4/12/11
to London Hackspace
If there's any possiblity of the new fridge not being used for
brewing, we could do with a non-food [section of] fridge for the bio
stuff. We're taking pains to avoid using anything toxic, but it'd
probably put people's minds at rest if we were able to store our stuff
away from people's food. And it would put our minds at rest if we
could store our precious, clean reagents away from people's nasty
bacteria- and mould-ridden gone-off food :P.

Or maybe dedicate one of the fridges to sealed containers? A whole
fridge for us would be massive overkill, so we could keep our stuff in
a box in a box in the fridge, and the only other things in the fridge
would also be sealed (beer kegs, etc). Practical?

Bugs

On Apr 11, 11:38 am, Russ Garrett <r...@garrett.co.uk> wrote:
> On 11 April 2011 11:26, Charles Yarnold <charlesyarn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I would agree with Sam that a second food usablefridgewould be most useful
> > in the kitchen.
>
> I'm not sure. The current one is full of old, out-of-date food, so IMO
> the addition of another one will just result in more mouldy food.
>
> --
> Russ Garrett
> r...@garrett.co.uk

Sci

Apr 12, 2011, 8:24:23 PM4/12/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Mike

Apr 14, 2011, 8:11:38 AM4/14/11
On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 06:22:10PM +0100, Jasper Wallace wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Apr 2011, Mark Steward wrote:
>

> > 9. The enormous satellite dishes on the balcony were for short term
> > keeping only. ?Does anyone foresee a use for them, or shall we throw
> > them away as well?
> >

> I was hopeing to use them for amsat and possible am radio astronomy. but
> seeing as it's going to be ages till i have the time/skills to get round
> to doing anything with them, and that we don't have roof access they might
> as well go.

I understand roof access is vagely possible. It requires modprobe
deplomancy, followed by speaking very, very nicely with the landlord and
promising on pain of death not to fall off said roof.

If you do decided to go about this, please let me know as I'd like to
stick a weatherstation up there, if I can.

Mike.

signature.asc

ChrisP

Apr 17, 2011, 6:45:05 AM4/17/11
to London Hackspace
> 9. The enormous satellite dishes on the balcony were for short term keeping
> only.  Does anyone foresee a use for them, or shall we throw them away as
> well?

I have virtually finished making a biquad antenna for wifi fun.
Attaching this to a satellite dish would be fab.[1] If it can still be
tinkered with whilst on the roof then this sounds great. (I have
climbing harness and rope! :P)

ChrisP

[1] As was done here: http://www.engadget.com/2005/11/15/how-to-build-a-wifi-biquad-dish-antenna/

PS Hello, this is my first post after coming along tuesday when I said
hello to a few folks.

spooq

Apr 17, 2011, 7:27:13 AM4/17/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
You don't need a climbing harness to get on the roof, there is a
ladder. I don't know if the door is usually locked tho?

Luke

Mark Steward

Apr 17, 2011, 7:57:41 AM4/17/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, ChrisP
On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 11:45 AM, ChrisP <h...@pawley.co.uk> wrote:
> 9. The enormous satellite dishes on the balcony were for short term keeping
> only.  Does anyone foresee a use for them, or shall we throw them away as
> well?

I have virtually finished making a biquad antenna for wifi fun.
Attaching this to a satellite dish would be fab.[1] If it can still be
tinkered with whilst on the roof then this sounds great. (I have
climbing harness and rope! :P)

Try pointing it at the BT Tower - they've got a wireless network on the observation floor.

We've already been caught trying to get on the roof by security, so I think the best thing to do is ask the landlord directly for permission.  We've been planning for a while to get a ham radio antenna up there, too.

PS Hello, this is my first post after coming along tuesday when I said
hello to a few folks.

Hi again!

Mark