Hackspace "soft" infrastructure

Mark Steward

Jun 11, 2013, 9:09:39 AM6/11/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
After the success of Sci's equipment reorg on the wiki, it occurs to me that there are a lot of small challenges that might appeal to the software types on the mailing list.  I realise people may have been concerned over duplicated effort, but it's surprising how little churn there is given the mailing list is full of talented and opinionated developers and people who enjoy using browsers.

If you want to learn more about the space's infrastructure, or want to make a difference without being able to get into the space, consider helping with one of these:

- Improving the data and templates on the wiki

- Improving the Hackspace website
  Perhaps porting the template changes to python https://github.com/montyphy/hackspace-foundation-sites/tree/python_version

- Reinstating or adding graphs

- Creating a pledge reconciliation system

- Updating the library catalogue
- Numerous Doorbot fixes and improvements

- Making a membership kiosk
  Jonty suggested a raspberry-pi based machine that will let you sign up, add your card, and print labels like the http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Project:Box_identification tried to do

- Documenting stuff
  Even if something isn't finished, it's helpful to collect ideas in one place so they can be built on, and the wiki is perfect for that.  All the items above ought to have a project page, and anything physically in the space should refer to it.

I also believe there's ACNode code to write or test (join #acnode on IRC), Tgreer's looking at a new server for the webcams, and I'm interested in getting an up-to-date 3D model of the which we can tie to physical assets.

If you have any questions, please reply - I'd love to help get people up and running.  Likewise, if you have suggestions for projects that will make things better for other members, add it to the wiki and mention it here.

Cheers,
Mark

tgreer

Jun 11, 2013, 9:21:37 AM6/11/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Also looking at splitting babbage out to 2 virtual machines... one for services, and one for general usage...

Martin Dittus

Jun 11, 2013, 11:43:01 AM6/11/13
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
All of these could be great Hack the Space day projects, for people who aren't inclined to touch screwdrivers but would instead prefer to sit in the sofa corner with a laptop and a few other fellow geeks. Maybe someone on this list is interested in getting something started?

http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Hack_the_Space_Day

m.

Russ Garrett

Jun 11, 2013, 12:18:44 PM6/11/13
to London Hack Space
On 11 June 2013 14:09, Mark Steward <marks...@gmail.com> wrote:
> - Making a membership kiosk
> Jonty suggested a raspberry-pi based machine that will let you sign up,
> add your card, and print labels like the
> http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Project:Box_identification tried to
> do

For the record, this is my project and you can find the details here:
http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Membership_Kiosk

Get in touch if you want to help out.

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Jasper Wallace

Jun 11, 2013, 4:16:43 PM6/11/13
On Tue, 11 Jun 2013, Mark Steward wrote:

> After the success of Sci's equipment reorg on the wiki, it occurs to me that there are a lot of small
> challenges that might appeal to the software types on the mailing list. �I realise people may have been
> concerned over duplicated effort, but it's surprising how little churn there is given the mailing list is
> full of talented and opinionated developers and people who enjoy using browsers.
>
> If you want to learn more about the space's infrastructure, or want to make a difference without being
> able to get into the space, consider helping with one of these:

and a few more!:

Finish reverse enginnering the serial interface to our UPS and patch the
nut-ups tools to talk to it (good cv padding):

http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/Equipment/Liebert-GXT2-UPS

In order to get out internet data transfer usage out of one of our ISP's
(Zen) we use this script:

http://www.rachaelandtom.info/zenus

unfortunatly upgrading to debian wheezy has broken it, something to do
with openssl using TLS1.2 (?) possible related to this bug:

N.B. If you want to take this on I can give you access to a debian wheezy
virtual machine to test fixes on - email me an ssh pub key. I suspect the
fix will be to pester Zen to fix there api webserver to not freak out on
TLS1.2 requests tho.

--
[http://pointless.net/] [0x2ECA0975]