BBQ

tom

Apr 8, 2011, 5:24:16 AM4/8/11
to London Hackspace
now its getting warm and theres a lovely long weekend break coming up
we should consider some sort of hackspace BBQ!
Somewhere outside and parky with beer!

Anyone interested?

Jim MacArthur

Apr 8, 2011, 5:30:42 AM4/8/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Very yes.

Dave Ingram

Apr 8, 2011, 6:43:28 AM4/8/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hell yes. +111

Elliot West

Apr 8, 2011, 6:59:04 AM4/8/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
May I suggest Shoreditch park:

Pros:
Big open-space for SCIENCE!
Not too far from the hackspace
Co-op nearby for booze/meats/disposable BBQs
Nice pub nearby (Rosemary branch)

Cons:
No WiFi coverage - 3G is fine however

Elliot West

Apr 8, 2011, 7:00:53 AM4/8/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
<zooms out on GMaps>

Haggerston park looks good too :)

Toby Catlin

Apr 8, 2011, 7:22:41 AM4/8/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Victoria park is great for a BBQ. Brilliant butcher (Ginger pig) & fish monger next to the park.

Adrian Godwin

Apr 8, 2011, 7:37:46 AM4/8/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Can I repeat the invitation to the Northackton BBQ etc. on may 2nd ?

-adrian

Peter Hicks

Apr 8, 2011, 7:42:57 AM4/8/11

On 8 Apr 2011, at 11:59, Elliot West wrote:

Cons:
No WiFi coverage - 3G is fine however

It's a BBQ, you're supposed to be social, not merely "sitting with people who are being social"!

Poggs

Dave Ingram

Apr 8, 2011, 7:45:35 AM4/8/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Wait, sitting with people isn't being social?

So that's what I've been getting wrong!

Sci

Apr 8, 2011, 7:51:18 AM4/8/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Sam Cook

Apr 8, 2011, 7:58:03 AM4/8/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
mmm liquid oxygen powered BBQ - now that's hacker cooking.....

tom

Apr 8, 2011, 7:58:37 AM4/8/11
to London Hackspace
We need a hackspace flag!!

On Apr 8, 12:51 pm, Sci <s...@sci-fi-fox.com> wrote:

> I hear liquid oxygen goes well on them.
>
> ~ Sci
>
> On 08/04/2011 10:24, tom wrote:> now its getting warm and theres a lovely long weekend break coming up
> > we should consider some sort of hackspace BBQ!
> > Somewhere outside and parky with beer!
>
> > Anyone interested?

> Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (MingW32)
> Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

Dave Ingram

Apr 8, 2011, 8:01:27 AM4/8/11
On 04/08/11 12:58, tom wrote:
> We need a hackspace flag!!
+1

Mill and crossed-probes?

Sam Cook

Apr 8, 2011, 8:02:34 AM4/8/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, tom
hackspace gazebo (you must face the gazebo alone!)

Will try to make sure I have functioning firepoi...

Peter Hicks

Apr 8, 2011, 8:03:49 AM4/8/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hang on... doesn't a BBQ break Rule 0 for the BBQ itself?

Chris Mear

Apr 8, 2011, 8:04:42 AM4/8/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, Peter Hicks
On 8 April 2011 13:03, Peter Hicks <peter...@poggs.co.uk> wrote:
> Hang on... doesn't a BBQ break Rule 0 for the BBQ itself?

BBQs don't need to follow rules. Only people (and robots) need to follow rules.

Chris

Sam Cook

Apr 8, 2011, 8:15:28 AM4/8/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, Chris Mear, Peter Hicks
also the rules only apply within the space and to sentient flame vulnerable beings so unless someone has been uplifting non-flame-proof BBQs and we host it in the space we should be ok

Dave Durant

Apr 8, 2011, 8:24:09 AM4/8/11
to London Hackspace

I, like many people I suspect, have a kite. Does anyone have a phone
that will run Qik (that they don't mind impacting the ground at high
velocity) to try some aerial videoing? :-)

Sunkzero

Apr 8, 2011, 8:28:25 AM4/8/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

I have an old rooted G1 waiting for a use, that should do it...

Chris Foote (Spike)

Apr 8, 2011, 8:30:57 AM4/8/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Also, if the BBQ is *not* a paying member it is not subject to Rule zero.

Sx

Earthshine

Apr 8, 2011, 8:37:05 AM4/8/11
to London Hackspace
Sounds like great idea.

tom

Apr 8, 2011, 9:04:31 AM4/8/11
to London Hackspace
and i've got a couple of near-death nokias we can use!

On Apr 8, 1:28 pm, Sunkzero <sunkz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have an old rooted G1 waiting for a use, that should do it...

Nigel Worsley

Apr 8, 2011, 9:08:56 AM4/8/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
> Also, if the BBQ is *not* a paying member it is not subject to Rule
zero.

So it is OK to set fire to visitors then :-)

Nigle

Mike

Apr 8, 2011, 9:34:42 AM4/8/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

I don't have a dog that I'd be willing to launch into the air but I do
have a couple of those small USB video camera things that I've prevously
taken skywards via both a kite and a small whirley bird.

Mike.

signature.asc

Sam Cook

Apr 8, 2011, 9:42:10 AM4/8/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, Mike
bottle rockets anyone? Also mentos+cola fun.

tom

Apr 8, 2011, 11:12:30 AM4/8/11
to London Hackspace
brilliant, i love the way this is becoming "outdoor science fest" :D

On Apr 8, 2:42 pm, Sam Cook <sc...@hep.ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
> bottle rockets anyone? Also mentos+cola fun.

Elliot West

Apr 8, 2011, 11:16:56 AM4/8/11
On 8 April 2011 16:12, tom <bollo...@gmail.com> wrote:
brilliant, i love the way this is becoming "outdoor science fest" :D

Soon my 'WiFi' comment will gain relevance...

Sunkzero

Apr 8, 2011, 11:19:26 AM4/8/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
If there is decent 3G signal, nothing to stop us setting up a temporary wifi AP using the 3G network, a few quid will buy a few payg gb for the day :-D
--
**********

darren....@gmail.com

Apr 8, 2011, 11:21:19 AM4/8/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I did let a hack space member borrow my 3G modem, along with a PAYG card, the device is a MiFi.. If that person is interested in bringing it, then that's one additional useful hotspot available.

Regards,
The Hypnotist

Sam Cook

Apr 8, 2011, 12:01:03 PM4/8/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, M
I'm pretty sure we can find a spot near the entrance to the park to set up a receiver and piggy back off of someone else's wifi if we really want

Mark Steward

Apr 8, 2011, 12:03:27 PM4/8/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, Sam Cook, M
We were talking yesterday about setting up a long-range wifi antenna and aiming it at the BT Tower (because they have wifi, and those of us who visited now know the key).

Mark

Sci

Apr 8, 2011, 6:59:10 PM4/8/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

tom

Apr 9, 2011, 1:05:24 PM4/9/11
to London Hackspace
so which weekend is best?

Will Pearson

Apr 11, 2011, 6:04:40 AM4/11/11
to London Hackspace

On Apr 9, 6:05 pm, tom <bollocks...@gmail.com> wrote:
> so which weekend is best?

I vote for Easter Weekend. But I'll probably cancel part of the
hackweekend and come a long if you chose next weekend. It would be
cruel to make people work when there is park and BBQ available.

Will

Sam Cook

Apr 11, 2011, 6:15:28 AM4/11/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, Will Pearson
I nominate the Saturday of Easter weekend (mainly because I'm playing 'suspected!' on the southbank on the Sunday).

Martin Klang

Apr 11, 2011, 6:16:22 AM4/11/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

I've got a mobile soundsystem...

/m

Chris Foote (Spike)

Apr 11, 2011, 6:17:46 AM4/11/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Erm, I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, but has anyone checked that
barbecues and alcohol is permitted in said park?

Spike

Elliot West

Apr 11, 2011, 6:26:34 AM4/11/11
On 11 April 2011 11:17, Chris Foote (Spike) <sp...@tenbus.co.uk> wrote:
Erm, I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, but has anyone checked that barbecues and alcohol is permitted in said park?

It's common practice in Shoreditch park - whatever the rules say.

Jim MacArthur

Apr 11, 2011, 6:30:07 AM4/11/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
The date is more important than the venue at the moment.

Saturday of Easter weekend works well for me.

Jim

Earthshine

Apr 11, 2011, 6:30:44 AM4/11/11
to London Hackspace
:(

Easter Weekend is no good for me.

Sam Cook

Apr 11, 2011, 6:33:26 AM4/11/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, Earthshine
this can be easily solved: more BBQs!

I would be more than happy to do this most weekends when the weather is good.

Dave Durant

Apr 11, 2011, 7:32:55 AM4/11/11
to London Hackspace

Rather than everyone reply on the list...

http://doodle.com/e52srryiwg427fsg

Earthshine

Apr 11, 2011, 8:34:43 AM4/11/11
to London Hackspace
GREAT!!

On Apr 11, 11:33 am, Sam Cook <sam.lindenrat...@gmail.com> wrote:
> this can be easily solved: more BBQs!
>
> I would be more than happy to do this most weekends when the weather is
> good.

Will Pearson

Apr 13, 2011, 5:58:56 AM4/13/11
to London Hackspace

On Apr 11, 12:32 pm, Dave Durant <cholte...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Rather than everyone reply on the list...
>
> http://doodle.com/e52srryiwg427fsg

Looking at the Doodle it looks like Monday the 25th is a good first
BBQ attempt day.

We can always have a barbeque another day if the first one is rained
off, or people are suffering from serious charred meat deficiencies.

I shall put it on the calender it in a bit.

Will

Dave Durant

Apr 13, 2011, 6:42:36 AM4/13/11
to London Hackspace

> Looking at the Doodle it looks like Monday the 25th is a good first BBQ attempt day.

Indeed - we have a time and date. Now, where...?

Will Pearson

Apr 13, 2011, 8:30:04 PM4/13/11
to London Hackspace

On Apr 11, 11:17 am, "Chris Foote (Spike)" <sp...@tenbus.co.uk> wrote:
> Erm, I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, but has anyone checked that
> barbecues and alcohol is permitted in said park?

Well volunteered to check!

In other words I've had a quick google but I can't find any info, yay
or nay.

Will

Elliot West

Apr 14, 2011, 3:18:28 AM4/14/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Which park? - as stated earlier - these actions are permitted (at least informally) in Shoreditch Park.

Seriously: it's not a problem.

Dave Durant

Apr 15, 2011, 9:14:39 AM4/15/11
to London Hackspace

> Shoreditch Park

This is the only suggestion so far - anyone else got an alternative or
are we okay for there?

Will Pearson

Apr 17, 2011, 3:57:03 PM4/17/11
to London Hackspace
By the silence, I am declaring Shoreditch park the place to meet,
anyone know where is a good place to congregate? The space first?

(Obligatory) Wiki planning page

http://wiki.hackspace.org.uk/wiki//Events/BBQ2011.1

Will

Sam Cook

Apr 17, 2011, 4:00:44 PM4/17/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, Will Pearson
I think the space is a good idea means we can pool resources for carrying stuff etc.

Mark.itto

Apr 23, 2011, 7:16:04 AM4/23/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, Will Pearson
Hi there id'll like to participate in the BBQ to is there any help needed?

if seen we have a date and a place. what do I have to bring? my own food?

are you meeting at the LHS or directly in the park?

thanks

Mark Steward

Apr 23, 2011, 7:24:48 AM4/23/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, Will Pearson
Please read the planning page[1].  The wiki is the standard place for formal pages that change over time.  We're not here to translate that into email for you.

Mark

Mark.itto

Apr 23, 2011, 7:28:54 AM4/23/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, Will Pearson
:)

Mark Steward

Apr 23, 2011, 7:37:57 AM4/23/11
On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 12:24 PM, Mark Steward <marks...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 12:16 PM, Mark.itto <maco...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi there id'll like to participate in the BBQ to is there any help needed?

if seen we have a date and a place. what do I have to bring? my own food?

are you meeting at the LHS or directly in the park?

Please read the planning page[1].  The wiki is the standard place for formal pages that change over time.  We're not here to translate that into email for you.

Just to clarify, because that came out a bit flippantly:

The wiki is for developing pages that need the most correct and up-to-date information.  Anything that changes quickly is best put on there.  The mailing list is generally used for sounding out ideas with the almost 1000 people with an interest in the space, and for making last minute announcements (because not everyone follows Twitter).  However, any arrangements on the mailing list should be made on the wiki.  Forwarding stuff to the list guarantees that some people have older, filtered information, and usually means there's stuff missing on the wiki page.

Mark

Katie Sutton

Apr 23, 2011, 6:39:12 PM4/23/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Offered on the wiki page, but just in case others don't look and/or I
entirely forget to look at the wiki page again between now and the BBQ
- would it be useful for me to bring along a first aid kit in case of
injury/burns/etc.?

--
Katie Sutton
http://tajasel.org

"The ‘Net is a waste of time, and that’s exactly what’s right about
it." ~ William Gibson

Mark.itto

Apr 24, 2011, 6:46:30 AM4/24/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
i'm going to have to cancel
:(

just call me from work have to be there...

Sam Cook

Apr 24, 2011, 5:00:46 PM4/24/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I too am cancelling but rather than due to work it's due to back pain (hooray for forward flips over car bonnets from the back of a bike).

Hopefully I'll make it to the next one

Apr 25, 2011, 2:57:33 AM4/25/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
@sam: Want some hypno pain relief ?

I just got confirmation from work that I can go to the bbq, yeah!!!

Sorry, all excited. :D

Renski

Apr 25, 2011, 3:48:29 AM4/25/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
If I turn up at the space at around 1200-1230, can someone else direct
my clueless arse to the park?

Apr 25, 2011, 4:51:51 AM4/25/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I believe we are all to meet at the space

Sam Cook

Apr 25, 2011, 5:36:31 AM4/25/11
On 25 April 2011 07:57, M <a.turn...@gmail.com> wrote:
@sam: Want some hypno pain relief ?

Nah, I'd rather keep the pain there to stop me making it worse; I've already had a couple of lovely moments of other enthusiastic turning resulting in a yelp and cursing. To be fair as long as I don't strain etc it's not too bad.

Thanks though

Dave (DMI) Ingram

Apr 25, 2011, 5:51:51 AM4/25/11
to London Hackspace
What time are people arriving at the space? I'm getting to Waterloo at
12, so I'll probably get to the space for half past.

On Apr 25, 9:51 am, M <a.turntabl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I believe we are all to meet at the space
>
> On 25 April 2011 08:48, Renski <goo...@dmcdonald.net> wrote:
>

> > If I turn up at the space at around 1200-1230, can someone else direct
> > my clueless arse to the park?
>
> > On 25 April 2011 07:57, M <a.turntabl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> @sam: Want some hypno pain relief ?
>
> >> I just got confirmation from work that I can go to thebbq, yeah!!!
>
> >> Sorry, all excited. :D

Darren McDonald

Apr 25, 2011, 10:37:16 AM4/25/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Leaving my bbq tools behind, if some could remember to take them back to the space and let me know where theyve been stashed, that would be great.

Earthshine

Apr 26, 2011, 3:48:51 AM4/26/11
to London Hackspace
So, how did the BBQ go?

tom

Apr 26, 2011, 4:57:20 AM4/26/11
to London Hackspace
too much drink

Mark Steward

Apr 26, 2011, 4:59:52 AM4/26/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Pix?

Will Pearson

Apr 27, 2011, 1:14:44 PM4/27/11
to London Hackspace

On Apr 25, 3:37 pm, Darren McDonald <dar...@dmcdonald.net> wrote:
> Leaving my bbq tools behind, if some could remember to take them back to the
> space and let me know where theyve been stashed, that would be great.

I picked them up and stashed them in my rucksack. However they weren't
in my rucksack after I got back to the space(as my bag got taken to
the space in a car). So I don't know where they went,

Will