Hardware Auctions: More server listings

Robert Leverington

Mar 26, 2011, 11:57:45 AM3/26/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I've just put up the next batch of servers on eBay. See [1] for
listings.

Thanks to Jasper and Martin for all their work on this.

Robert

[1] http://shop.ebay.co.uk/londonhackspace/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25

Russ Garrett

Mar 26, 2011, 4:36:22 PM3/26/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, Robert Leverington
On 26 March 2011 15:57, Robert Leverington <rob...@rhl.me.uk> wrote:
> I've just put up the next batch of servers on eBay.  See [1] for
> listings.
>
> Thanks to Jasper and Martin for all their work on this.

Thanks again to all those involved!

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Martin Dittus

Mar 26, 2011, 8:29:59 PM3/26/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Yes, thanks all. Making more space & money one pile at a time.

Tell your friends/peers/favourite mailing lists/irc channels! Let's make sure this provides us with a healthy cash injection. :)

m.

Adrian Godwin

Mar 30, 2011, 5:52:18 AM3/30/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Jasperw has put a vast amount of work into this and afaict from previous information seems to be hoping to buy one unit that requires difficult-to-find parts to repair it.

I really think he deserves better - at the very least not having to pay for it, and preferably a better unit if there is one that meets his requirements.

Doubtless the others involved have worked just as hard and should equally be recognised, but it was recalling Jasper's request for repair information and seeing him once again shuffling servers last night that prompted me to write this.

-adrian

Martin Dittus

Mar 30, 2011, 6:06:01 AM3/30/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Yeah he's definitely not paying. :)

And he gets free choice of parts; he already started taking servers apart a few weeks ago to build his dream server.

We received help from a lot of random volunteers, but there's a list of "full-time" project members at the top here (add yourself if you think you should be on that list):
http://wiki.hackspace.org.uk/wiki/Project:ServerHardwareAuction#About_the_Project

One thing we've not been good at is tallying up the amount of money made so far, mostly because the initial monitor sales to members were handled quite informally. At some point I'll try to calculate the total; it's already around £1,500, with most servers not even sold yet.

m.

Jasper Wallace

Mar 30, 2011, 5:17:21 PM3/30/11
On Wed, 30 Mar 2011, Adrian Godwin wrote:

> Jasperw has put a vast amount of work into this and afaict from previous
> information seems to be hoping to buy one unit that requires
> difficult-to-find parts to repair it.

I fixed it last week :)

> I really think he deserves better - at the very least not having to pay
> for it, and preferably a better unit if there is one that meets his
> requirements.

this kind of thing leads to devisive arguments about the relative
value of peoples actions, which is a long walk off a short plank for
groups like this one, so i'll be paying.

> Doubtless the others involved have worked just as hard and should
> equally be recognised, but it was recalling Jasper's request for repair
> information and seeing him once again shuffling servers last night that
> prompted me to write this.

It's not that bad, and martin and robert have done a load as well.

P.S. there are still servers on auction with no bids on them, so if someone
wants one:

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/londonhackspace/

--
[http://pointless.net/] [0x2ECA0975]

Martin Dittus

Mar 30, 2011, 6:05:31 PM3/30/11

On 30 Mar 2011, at 22:17, Jasper Wallace wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Mar 2011, Adrian Godwin wrote:
>> I really think he deserves better - at the very least not having to pay
>> for it, and preferably a better unit if there is one that meets his
>> requirements.
>
> this kind of thing leads to devisive arguments about the relative
> value of peoples actions, which is a long walk off a short plank for
> groups like this one, so i'll be paying.

Your spelling might not be great, but I have deep respect for your judgment. Well argued.

m.

("divisive")

Adrian Godwin

Mar 31, 2011, 7:22:08 AM3/31/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 11:05 PM, Martin Dittus <dek...@gmail.com> wrote:

("divisive")

Beware spelling flames, Martin :-)

("conducive" in another thread .. )

Lester Hawksby

Mar 31, 2011, 7:27:09 AM3/31/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
> ("conducive" in another thread .. )

Conducive thread is an awesome material...

...oh wait

Lester

Martin Dittus

Mar 31, 2011, 12:26:57 PM3/31/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
This just finished; we made another £800!

m.