Nanode Project Update

Ken Boak

May 8, 2011, 4:46:53 AM5/8/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, notti...@googlegroups.com
Here is an update on the Nanode Project - LHS wiki updated too.  We are ordering pcbs this week  :)  70 boards have been "pre-sold" leaving 30 available for future customers.

Nanode Version 5 - Update 8/5/2011

Following our recent build session in Snowdonia it was decided that from the outset, Nanode should make more use of wireless, and take full advantage of a low cost wireless transceiver module by Jee Labs. The circuit and connectors have been modified slightly so that the Jee Labs RFM12B breakout board will plug directly into one of the Nanode expansion connectors. This board is available for about £11 as a full kit or £4 for a bare pcb from Jee Labs shop.

Whilst in Snowdonia we also developed a low cost single axis solar PV tracker which uses a single radio control servo to angle a small PV panel directly towards the sun and record the power produced. Nanode has a 3 pin connector which will directly take an R/C servo controlled by Digital 4.

On the bottom of the Version 5 Nanode board is a footprint which will accept an 8 pin SPI memory device. This can be SRAM, FRAM or EEPROM/Flash. Extending the memory of the Nanode will be useful for many applications. The device can be purchased for about £2.

Nanode also has a footprint to accept a unique ID MAC chip This contains a 48bit unique identity plus 2k bits of EEPROM memory which can be used for storing the Nanode configuration etc. This device is 38p from Farnell.

We have developed a fair bit of code for Nanode and this is now up on GitHub  https://github.com/openenergymonitor

Sam Carlisle is our main Nanode Code developer at LHS. Please contact Sam for an update of what is available.

The updated pcb artwork is very nearly completed and after checking this weekend will be released to Spirit Electronics so that a batch of 100 bare boards can be manufactured. This will take approximately 2 weeks - so we expect to have Nanode pcbs available for assembly about 23/5/2011

regards

Ken

Adrian Godwin

May 8, 2011, 5:36:28 AM5/8/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ken,

Any news on the DHCP client Andrew was working on ?
I've got an arduino with an nuelectronics ethernet shield so have
already had your pachube getter code running.

-adrian

On 5/8/11, Ken Boak <ken....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here is an update on the Nanode Project - LHS wiki updated too. We are
> ordering pcbs this week :) 70 boards have been "pre-sold" leaving 30
> available for future customers.
>
> Nanode Version 5 - Update 8/5/2011
>
> Following our recent build session in

> Snowdonia<http://openenergymonitor.org/emon/node/143>it was decided

> that from the outset, Nanode should make more use of
> wireless, and take full advantage of a low cost wireless transceiver module
> by Jee Labs. The circuit and connectors have been modified slightly so that
> the Jee Labs RFM12B breakout

> board<http://jeelabs.net/projects/hardware/wiki/RFM12B_Board>will plug

> directly into one of the Nanode expansion connectors. This board
> is available for about £11 as a full kit or £4 for a bare pcb from Jee Labs

> shop. <http://jeelabs.com/products/rfm12b-board>

> Whilst in Snowdonia we also developed a low cost single axis solar PV
> tracker which uses a single radio control servo to angle a small PV panel
> directly towards the sun and record the power produced. Nanode has a 3 pin
> connector which will directly take an R/C servo controlled by Digital 4.
>
> On the bottom of the Version 5 Nanode board is a footprint which will accept
> an 8 pin SPI memory device. This can be SRAM, FRAM or EEPROM/Flash.
> Extending the memory of the Nanode will be useful for many applications. The
> device can be purchased for about £2.
>
> Nanode also has a footprint to accept a unique ID MAC

> chip<http://uk.farnell.com/microchip/11aa02e48t-i-tt/eeprom-serial-2k-1-8v-3sot-23/dp/1707616>This

Ken Boak

May 8, 2011, 5:42:07 AM5/8/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Adrian,

Andrew is still working on it. It's fairly close to being ready

Ken

matthew venn

May 8, 2011, 7:35:53 AM5/8/11
to London Hackspace
fantastic stuff guys! I love the pv tracker too!

On May 8, 10:42 am, Ken Boak <ken.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Adrian,
>
> Andrew is still working on it. It's fairly close to being ready
>
> Ken
>
> On 8 May 2011 10:36, Adrian Godwin <artgod...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Hi Ken,
>
> > Any news on the DHCP client Andrew was working on ?
> > I've got an arduino with an nuelectronics ethernet shield so have
> > already had your pachube getter code running.
>
> > -adrian
>
> >http://uk.farnell.com/microchip/11aa02e48t-i-tt/eeprom-serial-2k-1-8v...

Ken Boak

May 8, 2011, 9:32:06 AM5/8/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Matthew,

I'm glad you likes the tracker. We're working on some refinements with the idea of producing a kit.

I'm doing a wireless version based on a Jeenode this afternoon - now the sun is out.

Ken