TINT Unleashed: free workshops in London on 25th and 26th of June

Vincent Van Uffelen

Jun 5, 2011, 7:49:18 AM6/5/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

please take notice of the following workshops and participatory projects that might be of interest for you!

Cheers!
\\vincent

TINT is excited to announce a new endeavour in collaborative co-exploration of media arts. Unleashed a weekend of workshops and artistic projects in progress that invite others to join. The event is kindly hosted by the Apiary Studios (458 Hackney Road, E2 9EG London) and will take place on the 25th and 26th of June.

To get involved and join one of the projects send an e-mail stating your name and the project to in...@tintarts.org. All projects are free to participate although places are limited!

PROGRAMME

Saturday 25th of June (10:00 – ~19:00)

David Strang & Andy Prior: Mixing the City
Participants in the workshop are invited to create content for use in the bespoke Quicktime WebJay (QTWJ) environment, using field recording techniques and video capture within the surrounding area. This content will then be used by the participants within QTWJ to create a live performance of sound and visuals at the end of the day.

http://www.davidstrang.co.uk, http://x2.i-dat.org/~ap/2010PhD

Deep Media Research: Bodies in Communication
Deep Media Research develops simple prototypes to explore the vast field of infra-verbal bodily communication. In our workshop we will explore how we can use sensors to measure signals of our body and actuators to make those signals perceivable by others. We’ll make use of simple electronics, the Arduino microcontroller, and some code and are looking for beginners and intermediates who want to be introduced into body sensing (galvanic skin response, pulse, …), experiment with actuators and/or help to develop the project further.

More information: http://deepmediaresearch.org

Dominick Allen: Optical Sound
Optical Sound will be a practical, hands on workshop building and exploring optical microphones (devices that turn fluctuations in light into sound) for use in field recordings, performances etc. Everybody attending the workshop will have the chance to build their own optical microphone which they can take away with them for a small donation. The workshop will be followed by an audio-visual performance to explore the possibilities of these microphones. Everybody is welcome and no previous experience of electronics is necessary

Madi Boyd: Performing Screen
This project in progress is to create a robotic puppet like screen which will interact with the film projected onto it in order to create an intense dialogue. The screen will be composed, eventually, of hundreds of small independently moving parts. The parts will be controlled by servos so that they move in all directions in an organic but choreographed formation. They will appear to react to and be sculpted by the film. This performative dialogue between the projection and the screen will extend into a tussle in their attempts to shape each other, creating a new dynamic form in the process.

This project is at the concept/experimental stage and invite interested artist and technicians to partake researching several aspects needed to complete this work. These include: materials which will be able to move effectively, materials which reflect and absorb light in varying amounts, programming/controlling up to 80+ servo motors.

http://www.madiboyd.com

Stephen Fortune: Data Mining
My practice at present is bringing divination and data samplings into close proximity to illuminate how these practices belong to utterly different knowledge systems but both purport to order ones trajectory through reality.

For this event I invite interested parties to join me to expand my research from tea leaf reading to scrying for which we will use Arduino based measuring instruments and data recording and mining techniques.

Divination is the attempt to gain insight into a question or situation by way of a standardized process or ritual.

Scrying (also called seeing or peeping) is a magic practice that involves seeing things psychically in a medium, usually for purposes of obtaining spiritual visions and less often for purposes of divination or fortune-telling.

More information: http://thereisnowetware.wordpress.com/category/data-2/divinationdata-mining/

Saturday 25th of June (~19:00+)
Workshop performances and TINT BBQ. All welcome!

Sunday 26th of June (10:00 – ~19:00)
Open Lab. Madi Boyd’s project continues with additional chance for the previous days projects to be continued if required. In addition the Apiary Studios will be open for everyone to bring their own subject of tinkering to join the collaborative exploration. All projects welcomed!

tom

Jun 5, 2011, 10:20:54 AM6/5/11
to London Hackspace
my sarcasm gland is working overdrive after reading these...