Brighton Mini Maker Faire - 3rd Sept - Call for Makers!

Mike Pountney

Jun 3, 2011, 11:00:19 AM6/3/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Hiya LHS'ers!

Not sure which of you I met last night, but I'm the hat+bearded chap that was pottering about the space last night. Name's Mike, from the Brighton Hackspace :)

Just wanted to let you all know that one of the things Jonty, Russ and I were talking about was the upcoming Brighton Mini Maker Faire. It's taking place in the Brighton Dome Foyer on the 3rd Sept. Jonty and I are going to be working together to get a combined soldering+openhack session together, and I've had promises (!) of some Blimpy action, but what I really wanted to highlight is our "Call for Makers".

We've got around 25 stands to fill for the event, and we want to get as wide a spectrum of Maker Faire fun into the space as possible. The way that we're approaching this is to ask anyone that's interested in having a stand to fill in an application via our site:

http://www.makerfairebrighton.com/makers

We're very much open to makers selling wares on their stands, particularly if it adds value to the event. We have a preference for stands that are engaging and ideally interactive, but we're not fussy :)

At the moment it's too early days with sponsorship to say whether we can pay any expenses unfortunately, but we do have our basic outgoings covered so please let us know if it's an issue and we'll see what can be done.

Thanks, and hope to hear your amazing ideas soon!

Mike

tom

Jun 3, 2011, 11:26:50 AM6/3/11
to London Hackspace
I'm up for running some of the kinect demos that I have and it might
be worth getting hold of the tesla coil guy again to see if he's about

Jonty: still want to build something with fire?

Mike Pountney

Jun 3, 2011, 11:36:23 AM6/3/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Nice one!

Do you have the details of the tesla coil guy? Any idea where he's from?

PS: *awesome* email address :D

Ken Boak

Jun 3, 2011, 11:37:20 AM6/3/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike,

I'd be interested in a stall - there's a rampant capitalist in us all.

I will fill in the application on your site

I'm part of a team from LHS working on a low cost device called Nanode - basically its an Arduino with ethernet controller all on the one < £20 board.

It's totally open source  - so anyone can make a batch of board for their own purposes - basically aimed at hackspaces for fundraising workshops.

We are doing a batch of 100 of these at the LHS for £18 each, and a Nanode build and application workshop running tomorrow and Sunday at the space.

Perhaps the Brighton hackspace might be interested it -  as a simple beginners soldering project.

I'm in Redhill so could easily come down of an evening and give a presentation or a workshop.

See here for the construction guide

http://wiki.hackspace.org.uk/wiki/Building_a_Nanode

And our recently created website.

Ken

Mike Pountney

Jun 3, 2011, 11:38:20 AM6/3/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

> Jonty: still want to build something with fire?

Fire could be a problem due to the Dome being effectively a council property - let me know well ahead of time of anything you plan in this regard and I'll run it past them.

Nigel Worsley

Jun 3, 2011, 11:40:02 AM6/3/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
> Do you have the details of the tesla coil guy? Any idea where he's from?

This is his website: http://www.brightarcs.com/

Nigle

Mike Pountney

Jun 3, 2011, 11:44:42 AM6/3/11

On 3 Jun 2011, at 16:37, Ken Boak wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> I'd be interested in a stall - there's a rampant capitalist in us all.
>
> I will fill in the application on your site
>
> I'm part of a team from LHS working on a low cost device called Nanode - basically its an Arduino with ethernet controller all on the one < £20 board.
>
> It's totally open source - so anyone can make a batch of board for their own purposes - basically aimed at hackspaces for fundraising workshops.

Sounds great, sweet :)

> We are doing a batch of 100 of these at the LHS for £18 each, and a Nanode build and application workshop running tomorrow and Sunday at the space.
>
> Perhaps the Brighton hackspace might be interested it - as a simple beginners soldering project.
>
> I'm in Redhill so could easily come down of an evening and give a presentation or a workshop.

Perfect, would be great. We meet every Thursday night and Saturday afternoon, but it might be worth running this as a special event so we can get 20ish folk there. Fancy popping onto #buildbrighton on irc.freenode.net to discuss?

Ken Boak

Jun 3, 2011, 11:46:51 AM6/3/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Mike,

I'll pop into your IRC  - just a mo.

Ken

Jonty Wareing

Jun 3, 2011, 12:04:56 PM6/3/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
FIRE! Yes. Oh god yes.

--jonty

tom

Jun 4, 2011, 8:11:10 AM6/4/11
to London Hackspace
or something with knives. something nice and dangerous that the public
can control with a kinect :D

Sam Cook

Jun 4, 2011, 8:17:42 AM6/4/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
or something with knives. something nice and dangerous that the public
can control with a kinect :D

We could ask Abby &co and bring the trebuchet... and add fire... and a kinect... and flaming knives....

What could possibly go wrong?

tom

Jun 5, 2011, 5:50:33 PM6/5/11
to London Hackspace
or jet engines. we need jet engines!

could we do something similar to the last makerfaire? (i.e. turn up,
get drunk, hack stuff, get drunk again)

Mike Pountney

Jun 5, 2011, 7:08:12 PM6/5/11

On 5 Jun 2011, at 22:50, tom <bollo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> could we do something similar to the last makerfaire? (i.e. turn up,
> get drunk, hack stuff, get drunk again)

Having missed out on those shenanigans in Newcastle, I can definitely say that that flow of events is pretty damn likely. We have some catching up to do ;)

Earthshine

Jun 6, 2011, 4:59:30 AM6/6/11
to London Hackspace
Mike I would also be interested in a stall if possible for Arduino
Starter Kits and other associated paraphenalia. Plus some
demonstrations of what can be done with an Arduino. Maybe a few of my
books for sale too.

Mike

Mike Pountney

Jun 6, 2011, 5:15:47 AM6/6/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

That's great Mike, we look forward to receiving your application!:

Cheers,

Mike

tom

Jun 6, 2011, 9:42:29 AM6/6/11
to London Hackspace
so mike, is there going to be space to do what we did at MF last time?
I.e. can we turn up with a load of stuff and run a public-friendly
hack area?

We've all got our own things we'd like to show off but having things
hacked together on the day is pretty cool too!

Mike Pountney

Jun 6, 2011, 10:02:30 AM6/6/11

On 6 Jun 2011, at 14:42, tom wrote:

> so mike, is there going to be space to do what we did at MF last time?
> I.e. can we turn up with a load of stuff and run a public-friendly
> hack area?
>
> We've all got our own things we'd like to show off but having things
> hacked together on the day is pretty cool too!

Yeah, Jonty and I talked about this. We'd like to combine the soldering workshop with an open hack session, at least for part of the day. Not sure exactly yet how this would work, but there's definitely space for both to happen - and it should be interesting to have experienced hackers working alongside folk that are just putting a kit together.

tom

Jun 6, 2011, 11:14:46 AM6/6/11
to London Hackspace
excellent!

just to get a good flow going on the day we could probably bring some
90% complete projects with us to finish/demonstrate too. Perhaps some
of our own projects that could be fiddled with by the public too?

for example I'd bring the kinect speech bubble thing along and let
people stick their own text in the bubbles over twitter

Charles Yarnold

Jun 6, 2011, 11:17:44 AM6/6/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Yes, it does feel like we need to cheat a bit with the live hacking this time, maybe a small demo area for us this time so we can more easily show what we have made.

tom

Jun 7, 2011, 7:21:49 AM6/7/11
to London Hackspace
Lets also grab a whole load of pics/videos we can throw up behind us
on a projector too!

On Jun 6, 4:17 pm, Charles Yarnold <charlesyarn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, it does feel like we need to cheat a bit with the live hacking this
> time, maybe a small demo area for us this time so we can more easily show
> what we have made.

Ken Boak

Jun 7, 2011, 7:27:45 AM6/7/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Mike,

I've filled in the Maker's application form.

Will bring a big box of Nanodes to demonstrate and sell with a couple of mates.

Ken

Mike Pountney

Jun 7, 2011, 7:45:00 AM6/7/11

On 7 Jun 2011, at 12:27, Ken Boak wrote:

> Mike,
>
> I've filled in the Maker's application form.
>
> Will bring a big box of Nanodes to demonstrate and sell with a couple of mates.

Brilliant Ken, cheers. Being able to demo the Pachube integration would be superb!

tom

Jun 7, 2011, 9:13:23 AM6/7/11
to London Hackspace