[london-hack-space] Fusion reactor

Glen

Sep 30, 2011, 4:31:21 AM9/30/11
to London Hackspace
I want to build a small fusion reactor in the Space. Is anyone else
interested?

Adrian Godwin

Sep 30, 2011, 4:46:39 AM9/30/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
yes, I'm sortta interested. though we did have a discussion about this
a while back. I think the conclusion was that if it generates the
neutrons it claims to, it isn't very friendly, and if it doesn't,
what's the point ? Also, the suggested design took up an unreasonable
amount of space.

So maybe the answer is 'you can build it if, like any other project,
you take it home when it's finished'.

-adrian

tom

Sep 30, 2011, 4:47:39 AM9/30/11
to London Hackspace
portable fusion reactor? +1

Mark Steward

Sep 30, 2011, 5:16:27 AM9/30/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Jetpack time.

Anish Mohammed

Sep 30, 2011, 5:17:27 AM9/30/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
guys do u mean something like a "toroid" which can contain plasma , wow cool or am i totally going off on a tangent..

Adrian Godwin

Sep 30, 2011, 5:28:56 AM9/30/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
We may need to upgrade the electricity supply if Glen has a JET-style
magnetic bottle in mind.

Russ Garrett

Sep 30, 2011, 5:30:38 AM9/30/11
On 30 September 2011 10:17, Anish Mohammed <anish.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
> guys do u mean something like a "toroid" which can contain plasma , wow cool
> or am i totally going off on a tangent..

I suspect Glen is talking about a Farnsworth Fusor
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusor).

It's a pretty ambitious project. I'm fine with it as long as someone
works out the safety stuff to my satisfaction.

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

scary boots

Sep 30, 2011, 5:55:10 AM9/30/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
OMG want </incoherence>

if masters level physics is helpful then count me in

Glen

Sep 30, 2011, 6:00:23 AM9/30/11
to London Hackspace

On Sep 30, 10:30 am, Russ Garrett <r...@garrett.co.uk> wrote:
> On 30 September 2011 10:17, Anish Mohammed <anish.moham...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > guys do u mean something like a "toroid" which can contain plasma , wow cool
> > or am i totally going off on a tangent..
>
> I suspect Glen is talking about a Farnsworth Fusor
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusor).

I was thinking of using two large perspex bowls as a vacuum chamber,
the inside of the bowls would have a coating of thin mesh or metal
coating. Suspended in the center would be this: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:11643
A high voltage would propel deuterium from the outer wall to the
oppositely charged center, where they would collide causing fusion.

The dangers are about the same as building an old TV: High voltage
electrocution, brittle glass containing a vacuum, UV exposure & soft x-
ray exposure.

Parts list:
Vacuum pump
Neon sign type transformer
Containment chamber
gasket between the two hemispheres; where the high voltage cable
passes
high voltage leads and terminators; from Halfords.
internal grid
deuterium

It could be about the size of a football, and might be useful for any
members who want x-rays or are into transmutation of elements

Tim Storey

Sep 30, 2011, 6:05:34 AM9/30/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
excellent idea... +1

tom

Sep 30, 2011, 6:13:58 AM9/30/11
to London Hackspace

> It could be about the size of a football, and might be useful for any
> members who want x-rays or are into transmutation of elements

For my next trick I'm going to turn water ... into funk

Sci

Sep 30, 2011, 6:19:19 AM9/30/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
On 30/09/2011 11:00, Glen wrote:

The high-vacuum station, once complete, should be readily capable of
providing the vacuum level required as well as doing metallic coatings
up to a certain size.
http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/High_Vacuum_Station

Sci

Adrian Godwin

Sep 30, 2011, 6:22:11 AM9/30/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Nicholas FitzRoy-Dale

Sep 30, 2011, 7:03:05 AM9/30/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I certainly am.

James Heaver

Sep 30, 2011, 7:09:08 AM9/30/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, london-h...@googlegroups.com

What are the odds of this turning me into a super hero?

scary boots

Sep 30, 2011, 7:10:38 AM9/30/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
How tragic is your backstory?

Tweaker

Sep 30, 2011, 3:34:08 PM9/30/11
to London Hackspace
Count me in!
With or w/o geigercounter,leadapron etc

Tom

On Sep 30, 12:10 pm, scary boots <scarybo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> How tragic is your backstory?
>
> On 30 September 2011 12:09, James Heaver <ja...@heaver.org> wrote:
>

> > On 30 Sep 2011, at 10:30, Russ Garrett <r...@garrett.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > > On 30 September 2011 10:17, Anish Mohammed <anish.moham...@gmail.com>

Sci

Sep 30, 2011, 6:34:09 PM9/30/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
That reminds me, I'll pop in with my geiger counter. Should check the
vacuum gear for contamination.

Sci