Anyone want to be a cleaner

Luke Graham

Nov 15, 2011, 3:48:57 PM11/15/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
8 hours per week @ 7 GBP/hour

Reply to list and it is yours

Luke

Nin Lil'izi

Nov 15, 2011, 4:48:00 PM11/15/11
to London Hackspace
I would consider it. As both unable to find employment and in rather
dire need of supplimenting my income.
But right out near the M25 and a return trip into the space would cost
me nearly £10 a time.

Paddy

Nov 15, 2011, 4:54:14 PM11/15/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I will, and I live 5 mins away.
Do you have preferential hours?
Paddy

Luke

-----
No virus found in this message.

Martin Dittus

Nov 15, 2011, 5:41:14 PM11/15/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hm, a few others have offered in the past.

Might it even be worth it to split the work? Then as a side-effect we're training a team of cleaning hackers who can gang up and conjure up motivational schemes, exert social pressure etc.

m.

Luke Graham

Nov 15, 2011, 6:22:20 PM11/15/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Not bothered at all, the space is always open, but first thing
Wednesday might be handy. I assume you are a member already?

Russ will no doubt want a time sheet, so let him know what hours you
have worked.

Good luck.

Luke

Will Green

Nov 15, 2011, 6:36:03 PM11/15/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I see a problem. If the cleaners are hackers then at some point
someone is going to say "Surely we can automate this."

Some weeks later...

In the kitchen Sol is happily cooking Bacon Explosion.

Hacker 1: "Let's see how the new roach exterminator shield for SparkleBot works"
Hacker 2: "Powering up in kitchen now..."
Hacker 3 (from next room): "WAIT! you've not tested the targeting and
threelaws.c was missed from the build."

A tense minute passes...

Hacker 2: "Relax, it's cleaning and exterminating roaches"

(Cut to SparkleBot's view with red targeting scanner and scrolling
status messages)

Moments later...

SparkleBot's scans Sol's beard.

Bot display: STUBBORN GRIME DETECTED.
Bot display: ACTIVATING 10,000 RPM BRILLO PAD SHIELD.

(cut back to room view)

Hacker 2: "Argghhhh that beard is worth a fortune, power it off before
Sky sue us."

Hacker 3: "I can't, it's running off its built-in cold fusion generator"

Through an improbable series of kung-fu manoeuvres, Sol manages to break free.

Hacker 1: "Activate the Hack-Signal!"

The clouds above Hoxton are illuminated by a giant H (in the style of
the bat-signal).

(cut back to bot's eye view)

The bot is now in the main room. Hackers within its view are being
systematically identified as roaches.

Bot display: ACTIVATING ÜBERLASER

Voiceover: Will Jonty and Russ see the Hack-Signal in time? Can the
dynamic duo save the world from SparkleBot? Tune in tomorrow, same
hack time, same hack channel.

Laura

Nov 15, 2011, 6:46:27 PM11/15/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Can I point out that the London Living Wage is £8.30 p/h:
http://www.london.gov.uk/publication/fairer-london-2011-living-wage-london

Laura

Luke Graham

Nov 15, 2011, 6:51:24 PM11/15/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Yes, you can point that out.

Luke

Paddy

Nov 15, 2011, 6:59:12 PM11/15/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'm a member now... been meaning to join for a while.
I'll be there in the morning at some point.
Thanks Laura but don't worry...
Thanks Luke.

Russ Garrett

Nov 15, 2011, 7:00:49 PM11/15/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
We'll pay the London living wage (that was always going to be the case).

As a member you'll still have to pay the membership fees - it's not
practical for us to waive them. No problem with people sharing the
duty, so split it amongst yourselves and let me know.

Things that need doing, at the moment, are:

- Hoovering the floors in Unit 24, and washing the kitchen floor
- Cleaning the toilets
- Wiping the desks (where they're not in use).

That is probably 2 hours per week, I'm roughly guessing, but let me
know if it differs.

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Paddy

Nov 15, 2011, 7:16:41 PM11/15/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for my confusion, but 10 minutes ago I thought I had a job.
Now it looks more like an indeterminate percentage of a job.
Can someone explain please?
Paddy

Nov 15, 2011, 7:33:44 PM11/15/11
On 16 November 2011 00:16, Paddy <pad...@padski.co.uk> wrote:
> Sorry for my confusion, but 10 minutes ago I thought I had a job.
> Now it looks more like an indeterminate percentage of a job.
> Can someone explain please?

What needs doing is what I mentioned in my email. (Luke's email was
not an official offer, mine was.)

I don't think that'll take 8 hours a week, probably more like 2-3. You
can have it provided that Nin Lil'izi doesn't want to, as s/he asked
first.

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Mark Steward

Nov 15, 2011, 7:37:03 PM11/15/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

No. This is trying to get work for free, and is why we need to be rigorous about hours, wages and working conditions. This isn't really the kind of thing that can be arranged over a mailing list, no mattter how optimistic each party is.

Nin Lil'izi

Nov 15, 2011, 8:14:18 PM11/15/11
to London Hackspace
Well, I can't commit to coming in often. Otherwise it will cost more
to arrive then it pays.
But I do need to pop in at least once in the week. As half an hour on
the wifi to update packages on my netbook and other stuff is a godsend
when living in a location that has neither 3g or bt lines available.

So, I could just settle on coming in on a set day. And spending an
hour polishing the silverware and checking SparkleBot's roach detector
is properly calibrated.

Probably would not cope with a Tuesday evening though. As both
insanely shy, and just useless in a crowd.

It's a she btw. If you met me, I'm the one who's popped in a few
times. Indian style dress. Slightly exotic complexion. Hugely focused
on Traveller rights campaigning and the social skills of a /b/tard

On Nov 16, 12:37 am, Mark Steward <markstew...@gmail.com> wrote:
> No. This is trying to get work for free, and is why we need to be rigorous
> about hours, wages and working conditions. This isn't really the kind of
> thing that can be arranged over a mailing list, no mattter how optimistic
> each party is.

Paddy

Nov 16, 2011, 3:52:10 AM11/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
You mean Luke has contracted to employ me personally?
That's cool. Will he donate my work to the space?
If not, obviously Nin has first refusal. What I need to know asap is whether
I must now cancel my membership.
@Nin - Hello again, you know me from Saturday in Vauxhall - small world.
Cheers
Paddy

Nov 16, 2011, 5:15:48 AM11/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I already have a cleaner :)

I guess I can take the money I pay monthly and give it to you instead,
but you will only be paid for a few hours work that way. Maybe some of
the people complaining would like to do the same?

Anyway, my email was just my interpretation of what Russ said to me,
whatever he says is official, as he has access to the bank account and
I don't.

Luke

Paddy

Nov 16, 2011, 5:53:56 AM11/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Your email was a job offer which I accepted and you confirmed.
I am a network/electronics engineer unable to find suitable work and do not
take a cleaning job lightly. I'm sure Nin feels the same. Not at all funny.
Paddy

Luke

spooq

Nov 16, 2011, 6:04:57 AM11/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I talked to Russ and Glen about this before and after I sent the mail.
I tried to get Russ to read it, he disappeared because he was busy.
These things happen.

Personally, I would be happier if you were hired under the conditions
I set out in my email.

Luke

spooq

Nov 16, 2011, 6:12:31 AM11/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I read this as "yeah I would like it, but it doesn't make sense as I
live too far away", so I took Paddy as the first person to say they do
actually want it.

Anyway, as usual, the whole concept of actually trying to do
something, as opposed to serial-wanking on a mailing list, is
descending into farce.

Fuck this. Enjoy the roaches, bitches.

Luke

Paddy

Nov 16, 2011, 7:19:37 AM11/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
How about this: I'll clean for free in exchange for eating the sleepers,
with roach garnish...
And post doggy-bags to Nin :)

Paddy

Nov 17, 2011, 7:28:35 AM11/17/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,
Just to let you know. I no longer want to be the Hackspace cleaner.
What on earth was I thinking? However I will be setting up a standing
order tomorrow to complete my membership. And I will always do more
cleaning than messing. I look forward to meeting you all.
Cheers
Paddy