Re: [london-hack-space] Desoldering gun

Message has been deleted

Martin Dittus

May 19, 2011, 1:09:20 PM5/19/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'd pledge pay money for that. Cannot give any buying advice however.

m.

On 19 May 2011, at 17:59, Johannes wrote:

> Would anyone else be interested in having a desoldering gun in the space?
>
> Having one would make scavenging components (and any other task that
> requires desoldering) much easier. After watching some videos of
> people using desoldering guns, and after much frustration using a
> soldering iron and mechanical desoldering pump (although I'm sure this
> has a lot to do with my inexperience!), I think it would be a great
> thing for the space to have! Anything that helps with
> recycling/reusing/taking stuff apart has to be good right?
>
> Farnell sell one for £72.10
> http://uk.farnell.com/duratool/d00672/desoldering-station-uk-eu-plug/dp/1498361
>
> Any idea if that one would do the job?
>
> Videos I was drooling over:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G14rFgAfwXk
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a59iNzP_xO8
>
> Johannes

Message has been deleted

May 19, 2011, 1:51:10 PM5/19/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Im happy to pledge a small amount

On Thursday, 19 May 2011, Johannes <johannes...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Found a video of this exact model being used. Looks pretty good!
>
> Duratool Desolder Station Demo <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDNxgSsPHI0>
>
> Johannes

> On 19 May 2011 18:09, Martin Dittus <dek...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'd pledge pay money for that. Cannot give any buying advice however.
>>
>> m.
>>

>> On 19 May 2011, at 17:59, Johannes wrote:
>>
>>> Would anyone else be interested in having a desoldering gun in the space?
>>>
>>> Having one would make scavenging components (and any other task that
>>> requires desoldering) much easier. After watching some videos of
>>> people using desoldering guns, and after much frustration using a
>>> soldering iron and mechanical desoldering pump (although I'm sure this
>>> has a lot to do with my inexperience!), I think it would be a great
>>> thing for the space to have! Anything that helps with
>>> recycling/reusing/taking stuff apart has to be good right?
>>>
>>> Farnell sell one for £72.10
>>> http://uk.farnell.com/duratool/d00672/desoldering-station-uk-eu-plug/dp/1498361
>>>
>>> Any idea if that one would do the job?
>>>
>>> Videos I was drooling over:

>>> Flat lead desoldering | Soldering Tips | B.E.S.T. <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G14rFgAfwXk>
>>> film2_0003.wmv <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a59iNzP_xO8>
>>>
>>> Johannes

Elliot West

May 19, 2011, 2:10:40 PM5/19/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
How well does this work on surface mount?

Sent from my mobile. Please excuse terseness, brevity and top-posting.

On 19 May 2011, at 18:39, Johannes <johannes...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Found a video of this exact model being used. Looks pretty good!
>

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDNxgSsPHI0
>
> Johannes
>
> On 19 May 2011 18:09, Martin Dittus <dek...@gmail.com> wrote:

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Adrian Godwin

May 19, 2011, 3:23:26 PM5/19/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
No, not really useful for SMD. The idea of a tool like this is the
same as the spring-loaded type, except that it operates continuously
(heat & suck) so gets a bit more solder out.

Where vacuum is available on SMD rework stations it's to grab the chip
and gently pull it away from the board while hot air or IR melts the
solder - it doesn't suck the solder away.

I've used Pace desolderers
(e.g.http://www.dubuque-forsale.com/OLD-ADS-FROM-PREVIOUS-YEARS/2006/May/Pace-micro-portable-120-vac-12-vdc-desoldering-station.php
and the full-sized version with a bigger vacuum pump) which work
like this one and found them useful but not perfect. I have one like
that picture, but tend to use the spring-loaded device more often. So
I wouldn't recommend paying a great deal, but £70 split between a few
people doesn't sound too bad.

The upside is they don't clog as often as a spring-loaded one, the
downside is that they don't always completely remove the solder so
you're still in danger of pulling out a via (the plating inside the
hole), or of overcooking the board and breaking the pad up. The bigger
the gap between pin and hole, the better they work. Like most tools,
the more you use it the better you get.

For perfect results, you tend to have to sacrifice either board or
chip : either clip the leads or heat the board up with a paint
stripper. If you want to preserve both then something like this is
worth a try but you have to take your chances.

-adrian

On 5/19/11, Johannes <stone...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure if it would work for SMCs, I haven't seen any mention of
> anyone using a desoldering gun for anything other than through-hole
> circuit boards.
>
> I've put up a pledge page!
> http://wiki.hackspace.org.uk/wiki/Pledges/DesolderingGun
>
> Johannes

Nigel Worsley

May 19, 2011, 4:55:26 PM5/19/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I have one of these at work, it is way better than using a conventional solder sucker.

The build quality is a little on the cheap side, hardly surprising bearing in mind the price.

When used with care a chip can often be renoved from the board with fingers (after cooling down!) and if
not then very gentle levering will pop it out with no noticeable plating attached.

I suggested buying one of these a while back, but nobody seemed interested at the time.

Nigle

Mike

May 20, 2011, 4:59:29 AM5/20/11
On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 07:58:32PM +0100, Johannes wrote:
> I'm not sure if it would work for SMCs, I haven't seen any mention of
> anyone using a desoldering gun for anything other than through-hole
> circuit boards.
>
> I've put up a pledge page!
> http://wiki.hackspace.org.uk/wiki/Pledges/DesolderingGun
>
> Johannes

I have pledged my support.

Mike.

signature.asc
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Tweaker

May 20, 2011, 8:41:44 PM5/20/11
to London Hackspace
Hi
I chucked in another tenner in the mix.
Looks like we can place an order.
I used similar one in the past upgrading old Ataris.Useful for
throughplated
PCBs.

On May 20, 6:02 pm, Johannes <stone.pi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hurray, lots of pledges!
>
> I'll chuck another £5 in, so we only need another £11.94 and we can
> get the beast ordered!
>
> Johannes

May 27, 2011, 6:09:57 AM5/27/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
i put 5 quid in the hackspace paypal for my part of the pledge
Message has been deleted

Adrian Godwin

May 27, 2011, 10:32:04 AM5/27/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I'd get all the sizes they do, maybe extras if there's enough
money. They do erode, just like normal soldering iron tips because
they're really only a tip with a hole through it. And one of those
cleaning wires as well (they're probably only a bit of stainless wire
but they're cheap and we'll be able to see for sure).

-adrian

On 5/27/11, Johannes <stone...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Fantastic, all pledges are in!
>
> I called CPC to check what comes with the station as standard, and it
> only comes with a 1mm tip.
>
> So, shall we get a 0.8mm, 1.3mm and a 5 pack of filters?
>
> If we manage to get it ordered before 7pm it's same day dispatch, so a
> possible monday delivery.
>
> Johannes

Nigel Worsley

May 27, 2011, 10:41:25 AM5/27/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
> I called CPC to check what comes with the station as standard, and it
> only comes with a 1mm tip.

Mine came with all 3 sizes

> If we manage to get it ordered before 7pm it's same day dispatch, so a
> possible monday delivery.

On a bank holiday???

Nigle

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Jun 4, 2011, 11:08:15 AM6/4/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'm so pleased that I pledged towards the desolder gun, I had to use it today, it's great!

On 31 May 2011 18:33, Johannes <stone...@gmail.com> wrote:
The desoldering gun has arrived!

Warning - I shall be desoldering everything in sight so hide your
circuitboards :)

Johannes