PCs from across the road

Martin Klang

Mar 30, 2011, 2:24:20 PM3/30/11
to london-hack-space

There's now a pile of PCs in the space, as mentioned in another thread, donated from the good people across the road.
They're all fairly old, 5-6 years, most probably Pentium 4's and Celerons.

I haven't looked up the specs yet, but the inventory is as follows:
Dell Dimension:
4x 2400
1x 2300
1x 2350
2x 4550
1x 8100
1x 5000
Dell Optiplex:
1x GX260
1x GX240
Plus two generic PC towers. Beige.

So there's 14 in total. They're currently in a pile in the dirty room, I'll try to stack them somewhere out of the way this evening.

I suggest we keep maybe 2 of them for hackspace use -
the rest we can donate to users, if anyone wants them, scrap for parts, and/or donate to charity.

Suggestions/views on uses, charities to donate to et c welcome!

/m

Martin Dittus

Mar 30, 2011, 2:34:16 PM3/30/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Can you make sure these don't stay around for too long? At the moment we don't appear to have enough space to accept many such large deliveries of speculative merit, and still there's an increasing amount of stuff piling up...

Martin Klang

Mar 30, 2011, 3:21:32 PM3/30/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

yes agreed, I want to have them gone by Monday.

what do people think, should I do a fresh linux install on two of them for 'space use, or not bother?

/m

Elliot West

Mar 30, 2011, 3:23:07 PM3/30/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the effort, but see: http://wiki.hackspace.org.uk/wiki/Wishlist#Unwishlist

Things we don't need (we have to conserve space so thanks for the offer, but no thanks).
    • Old desktop PCs and CRT monitors (but if it's something special, please ask)

Unfortunately they'll probably be as useful as the caravan sink and surfboard that also arrived this week.

Elliot West

Mar 30, 2011, 3:27:00 PM3/30/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Personally I'd not bother - I can't see the need for more desktops at the space. Desktops need monitors, monitors consume desk space. People won't put monitors back on the shelf after using a desktop so that's already some flexible working space lost.

Sorry - Elliot

:)

Chris Foote (Spike)

Mar 30, 2011, 3:31:03 PM3/30/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
If these are not required, please could I suggest contacting
http://www.computeraid.org/

They refurbish surplus IT equipment and donate it to charities.

There's a form to fill in http://www.computeraid.org/donation-form.asp

Thanks!
Spike

Adrian Godwin

Mar 30, 2011, 3:32:23 PM3/30/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
True enough, but ..

The serial terminal didn't seem to stay in use (though I rather liked the idea myself) so we're down to just lovelace for visitor use. I'd have thought we could manage at least one more, maybe in the quiet room or the workshop (to look up component specs, tapping drill sizes etc).

In addition, I could probably take one or two away - but not by monday, unfortunately.

-adrian

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 8:23 PM, Elliot West <tea

b...@gmail.com>

Elliot West

Mar 30, 2011, 3:36:28 PM3/30/11
On 30 March 2011 20:32, Adrian Godwin <artg...@gmail.com> wrote:
The serial terminal didn't seem to stay in use (though I rather liked the idea myself)

Me too.

so we're down to just lovelace for visitor use.

There is another desktop machine in the main room - with a white/beige LCD screen. Never seen it being used though.

I'd have thought we could manage at least one more, maybe in the quiet room or the workshop (to look up component specs, tapping drill sizes etc).

I can see that being useful - but where would it go?

Sam Cook

Mar 30, 2011, 3:41:36 PM3/30/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, Elliot West
We have lovelace and difference in the main room. Given that these don't get that much use I'm not sure I follow the argument that we need another computer.

We have a computer in the workshop that can be used for looking up stuff if needed: the laser cutter machine.

Martin Klang

Mar 30, 2011, 3:52:57 PM3/30/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

On 30 Mar 2011, at 20:23, Elliot West wrote:

Based on a previous discussion on this list the idea was to get 1 or 2 machines for the space.
I then offered to take them all to save our kind donors the hassle of disposal, with a view to getting rid of them asap.
I will try to do this without causing further alarm or inconvenience to other hackspace users.

> Unfortunately they'll probably be as useful as the caravan sink and surfboard that also arrived this week.

That looks like a wakeboard to me. A lot less useful than a surfboard.

/m

Adrian Godwin

Mar 30, 2011, 3:53:58 PM3/30/11
On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 8:41 PM, Sam Cook <sc...@hep.ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
We have lovelace and difference in the main room. Given that these don't get that much use I'm not sure I follow the argument that we need another computer.

I do think lovelace gets a fair bit of use, at least during busy times, but I don't know what difference is - I thought that was the serial terminal. If it's another machine with a browser in the main room then fair enough.

We have a computer in the workshop that can be used for looking up stuff if needed: the laser cutter machine.

Yes, but it's busier than lovelace .. I wouldn't want to use it while someone was running the laser cutter.

There is likely to be another one there soon to run the CNC that's expected for the small mill, That would be sufficient, I agree .. but do we need one of these for that job ?

-adrian

Charles Yarnold

Mar 30, 2011, 4:14:12 PM3/30/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
We also have my old laptop in the space that is a public terminal, it could do with a more obvious home/sign.

Sol

bobby

Mar 30, 2011, 4:00:54 PM3/30/11
to London Hackspace
aha! a caravan sink did you say? I'll have that if it's going in the
bin,
could be useful on my boat.

bobby w

On Mar 30, 8:23 pm, Elliot West <tea...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the effort, but see:http://wiki.hackspace.org.uk/wiki/Wishlist#Unwishlist
>
> *Things we don't need* (we have to conserve space so thanks for the offer,
> but no thanks).
>
>    - Old desktop PCs and CRT monitors (but if it's something special, please
>       ask)
>
> Unfortunately they'll probably be as useful as the caravan sink and
> surfboard that also arrived this week.

Martin Dittus

Mar 30, 2011, 4:41:41 PM3/30/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Perfect.

Maybe we're in the wrong business and should set up a swap shop instead.

m.

Ciarán Mooney

Mar 30, 2011, 4:51:00 PM3/30/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

> Maybe we're in the wrong business and should set up a swap shop instead.

Two steps ahead of you there,

http://wiki.hackspace.org.uk/wiki/SwapShop

Sci

Mar 30, 2011, 6:47:44 PM3/30/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Jasper Wallace

Mar 30, 2011, 7:22:30 PM3/30/11
On Wed, 30 Mar 2011, Martin Klang wrote:

> yes agreed, I want to have them gone by Monday.
>
> what do people think, should I do a fresh linux install on two of them
> for 'space use, or not bother?

Open them all up, look at the hardware, see if anything is interesting,
find the best ones and strip ram from the rest to upgrade them.

Since they've got parallel ports maybe keep one for a CNC controller for
the latemillcombo?

Throw the rest away.

P.S. one of them as a bunch of video capture cards in it (presumably from
a cctv setup?), I might grab a few of the cards.

--
[http://pointless.net/] [0x2ECA0975]

Will Pearson

Mar 30, 2011, 7:32:07 PM3/30/11
to London Hackspace

On Mar 30, 8:36 pm, Elliot West <tea...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 30 March 2011 20:32, Adrian Godwin <artgod...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The serial terminal didn't seem to stay in use (though I rather liked the
> > idea myself)
>
> Me too.
>
> so we're down to just lovelace for visitor use.
>
> There is another desktop machine in the main room - with a white/beige LCD
> screen. Never seen it being used though.

When I was in on Monday it was used by two different people. It is a
bit slow though, I think. As is lovelace.

We could do with upgrading both of these if we can. I might come in
tomorrow to have a look.

Will

Billy

Mar 30, 2011, 8:10:29 PM3/30/11
to London Hackspace
Would the one with the video cards work as a server for the cams?

Might take the strain off babbage.

Sci

Mar 30, 2011, 8:21:09 PM3/30/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

xTw!7ch

Mar 30, 2011, 9:07:53 PM3/30/11
to London Hackspace
Heya,

If there going in the bin then i would rather take them home to beef
up my backup systems/lowend coding stuff. I can take them away
whenever, i just need to know which ones are up for grabs and ill make
sure they have a good home.

Billy

Mar 30, 2011, 10:27:00 PM3/30/11
to London Hackspace
I'll have one if they're just going spare.

Chris Foote (Spike)

Mar 31, 2011, 12:05:41 AM3/31/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
To repeat my previous message,

Rather than putting these surplus units "in the bin" as has been
suggested, Computer Aid http://www.computeraid.org/ are based in North
London and will gladly collect.

They refurbish donated equipment and distribute to charities, both in
the UK and abroad. Please see http://www.computeraid.org/donation-form.asp

Thank you!

Spike

Martin Klang

Mar 31, 2011, 5:01:17 AM3/31/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

I've created a wiki page.
http://wiki.hackspace.org.uk/wiki/NazrulPCs

Please put your name down if you'd like to claim one of the machines - and pls feel free to do so!

@Spike: your reply has not fallen on deaf ears!

/m

Martin Klang

Mar 31, 2011, 5:16:03 AM3/31/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Generally I think it's a shame to just take the RAM from an otherwise working machine. Preferably the PCs should be repurposed for ourselves or a suitable community project.
But the 8100 is pretty darn old and might otherwise end up being scrapped so I'd say yeah, claim the memory if you can use it.

/m

Chris Foote (Spike)

Mar 31, 2011, 5:46:13 AM3/31/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Martin!

I had to bcc myself in the message just to make sure "I was getting out" ;-)

Spike

Adrian Godwin

Mar 31, 2011, 6:20:12 AM3/31/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
A hackspace junkyard with all donations welcome would be wonderful. Some people might accuse me of trying to turn the actual hackspace into one. I couldn't possibly comment.

Sadly, even if we had something like a railway arch unit or an out-of-town warehouse as offline storage, I think it would still fill up with duplicates to the point where nothing could be found :-(.

-adrian

Martin Dittus

Mar 31, 2011, 7:03:58 AM3/31/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
If this were a different city with lower rent I'd be tempted to organise such a place. What could be more conductive to random experiments than a junk yard of decades worth of "potentially useful" materials.

m.

Sci

Mar 31, 2011, 10:35:33 AM3/31/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Sci

Apr 3, 2011, 6:15:55 PM4/3/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Martin Klang

Apr 4, 2011, 4:33:54 AM4/4/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

cool - did you mark up the machines you tested?
I've done that with a couple of them to save us all cracking them open et c.

I'm taking them away today so if anyone still wants to grab one, hurry up!
- or let me know and I can put one to the side for you.

cheers,

/m

Martin Klang

Apr 4, 2011, 4:40:48 AM4/4/11

On 3 Apr 2011, at 23:15, Sci wrote:

> That said, the 8100 seems to contain security camera footage from the
> former owners. I'd suggest wiping it or outright removing the HDD before
> moving it on if this would be a security issue.

oh and yes - ALL DRIVES must be wiped clean if you're going to use any of these machines!
should have made that clear from the start, but it seemed kind of obvious.

/m

Sci

Apr 4, 2011, 8:22:41 AM4/4/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com