Wiki URLs

Robert Leverington

Aug 16, 2011, 6:54:29 PM8/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I would like to set up a wiki for the new organisation that will be
for the benefit of all UK hackerspaces. I propose replacing the
current http://hackspace.org.uk/ website with this entirely.

At the moment our wiki is hosted at http://wiki.hackspace.org.uk/ which
is now misleading as the wiki is just for the London Hackspace. I
propose either:
a) moving this to http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/
b) moving this to http://london.hackspace.org.uk/[w|wiki]/
In either instance http://wiki.hackspace.org.uk/ would become a
permanent redirect to the new location.

If we choose option a it might be cool to enable action paths [1] so
that the URLs are nicer and does not contain "wiki" nice.

What does everyone think?

Thanks,
Robert

[1] http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgActionPaths

Russ Garrett

Aug 16, 2011, 8:16:45 PM8/16/11
On 16 August 2011 23:54, Robert Leverington <rob...@rhl.me.uk> wrote:
> At the moment our wiki is hosted at http://wiki.hackspace.org.uk/ which
> is now misleading as the wiki is just for the London Hackspace.  I
> propose either:
>    a) moving this to http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/
>    b) moving this to http://london.hackspace.org.uk/[w|wiki]/
> In either instance http://wiki.hackspace.org.uk/ would become a
> permanent redirect to the new location.

Agreed, my vote is for a.

--
Russ Garrett
ru...@garrett.co.uk

Charles Yarnold

Aug 17, 2011, 4:23:26 AM8/17/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Me too

Dave Ingram

Aug 17, 2011, 4:30:20 AM8/17/11
On 08/16/11 23:54, Robert Leverington wrote:
> At the moment our wiki is hosted at http://wiki.hackspace.org.uk/ which
> is now misleading as the wiki is just for the London Hackspace. I
> propose either:
> a) moving this to http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/
> b) moving this to http://london.hackspace.org.uk/[w|wiki]/
> In either instance http://wiki.hackspace.org.uk/ would become a
> permanent redirect to the new location.
It always surprises me that [a] isn't the case, so yes please :-)

> If we choose option a it might be cool to enable action paths [1] so
> that the URLs are nicer and does not contain "wiki" nice.

Also +1

Andrew Black

Aug 18, 2011, 6:34:10 AM8/18/11

On Wednesday, 17 August 2011 09:30:20 UTC+1, Dave (DMI) Ingram wrote:
On 08/16/11 23:54, Robert Leverington wrote:
> At the moment our wiki is hosted at http://wiki.hackspace.org.uk/ which
> is now misleading as the wiki is just for the London Hackspace.  I
> propose either:
>     a) moving this to http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/
+ 1 for this (boring I know!)

> In either instance http://wiki.hackspace.org.uk/ would become a
> permanent redirect to the new location.

My thinking here is
  • Redirect to new wiki.london... is good in short term
  • Once the UK wide wiki is in place it might be better to take you to a landing page asking whether you want london, uk (or maybe other place)

Anish Mohammed

Aug 18, 2011, 6:44:22 AM8/18/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Any naming convention that is sensible (without getting into semantics of name spaces), which is fit for purpose will have my support :-)

Robert Leverington

Aug 23, 2011, 1:03:19 PM8/23/11
On 2011-08-16, Robert Leverington wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to set up a wiki for the new organisation that will be
> for the benefit of all UK hackerspaces. I propose replacing the
> current http://hackspace.org.uk/ website with this entirely.
>
> At the moment our wiki is hosted at http://wiki.hackspace.org.uk/ which
> is now misleading as the wiki is just for the London Hackspace. I
> propose either:
> a) moving this to http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/
> b) moving this to http://london.hackspace.org.uk/[w|wiki]/
> In either instance http://wiki.hackspace.org.uk/ would become a
> permanent redirect to the new location.
>
> If we choose option a it might be cool to enable action paths [1] so
> that the URLs are nicer and does not contain "wiki" nice.

This is done now.

Robert