Can anyone help to build a CNC Mill?

Dom

Jan 12, 2012, 4:27:30 AM1/12/12
to London Hackspace
Hello - I’m looking to find somebody that can build me the following
CNC mill:
http://makeyourbot.org/mantis9-1

The site contains all of the materials required and instructions for
build.

I’ve spoken to the author and he reckons it’s around 3 days effort.

I can cover the costs of materials plus a bit more for effort.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Dom.

dom.o...@gmail.com

Adrian Godwin

Jan 13, 2012, 7:18:33 AM1/13/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I guess the problem is, most people have trouble finding 3 days to
work on their own projects, and although that looks moderately
interesting there's a fair chance it would turn out disappointingly
inaccurate. So while you're not asking people to do it for nothing, 'a
bit more' doesn't sound a lot like 'wads of cash'.

Of course, we're not really that grasping, but the way it usually
works is that someone joins the hackspace and then does the project
themselves with a certain amount of help from people with previous
experience. Warning : It can sometimes be difficult to time your
visits such that an appropriate expert is on hand and has time to
spare. So don't expect to get it done in 3 days unless it turns out
you can do most of it yourself.

Is this a possible approach ?

-adrian

Dom O'Brien

Jan 13, 2012, 7:24:59 AM1/13/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi Adrian - I'm looking to commission someone that has the time to build
this mill for me.

It's needed for the end of January, and we can agree a fixed fee up front.

It's some cash for some effort on an interesting project.

If anyone can help then please let me know.

Dom.

tom

Jan 13, 2012, 7:29:05 AM1/13/12
to London Hackspace
> The site contains all of the materials required and instructions for
> build.

So why not just DIY?
> dom.obr...@gmail.com

Dirk-Willem van Gulik

Jan 13, 2012, 7:38:00 AM1/13/12

On 12 jan. 2012, at 10:27, Dom wrote:

> Hello - I’m looking to find somebody that can build me the following
> CNC mill:
> http://makeyourbot.org/mantis9-1

I am not quite sure that that is the spirit of the backspace :) What you have here is access to space, the tools and, with a bit of luck, people from a larger community which can brainstorm a bit; or whom can show you how to use a certain tool; or convey tricks.

Which is not quite the same as a normal workshop with skilled people whom one pays to build something. So I think you need to add a fair bit of DIY; with the emphasis on the Y here.

Having said that - the design is interesting in that it would allow you to do the 'hard' part (i.e. the part where you need reasonable assurance and where you'd know if you had the skills to accomplish it) do relatively early and without having to fork out much money. One could get the wood and simply contract all the wooden parts - confirm that this has indeed the accuracy and tolerances needed* - prior to ordering the expensive bits (like the acme-threads, steppers, electronics and other assorted metal bits). And as the wood is quite generic - you could do quite a few attempts**.

Just a thought,

Dw

*: And that is where folks in the backspace community could probably help.
**: And again - while you are doing it - likely that members of the community particularly adept float in and out randomly who can help you improve.

tom

Jan 13, 2012, 7:43:02 AM1/13/12
to London Hackspace
>One could get the wood and simply contract all the wooden parts

Or go use ponoko to get it cut for you...

On Jan 13, 12:38 pm, Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>

phil jones

Jan 13, 2012, 8:35:23 AM1/13/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I see why hackspacers might be a bit sensitive to perceived
"non-hackers" coming in and expecting to get work done cheaply off the
back of our collaborative culture. But not everyone can be good at
everything. And plenty of members here are freelancers and
contractors. I don't see why the hackspace shouldn't ALSO provide a
service connecting them with potential clients, as long as everyone
understands that that's what's happening and that it's distinguishable
from the "free" work we do for each other within our internal
gift-economy.

We already have a JobBoard on the wiki :
http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/JobBoard And an
AvailableForContracting page :
http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/AvailableForContracting

Perhaps we need these to be more widely known. Or maybe something more
explicit. A couple of years ago, I quite wanted someone to build me a
Blimpduino and I realised that there wasn't a site putting hackers in
touch with people who wanted things like that built for them. Like a
kind of Etsy but geekier.

Is this something does / should exist?

phil

Adrian Godwin

Jan 13, 2012, 8:45:17 AM1/13/12
On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 1:35 PM, phil jones <inte...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I see why hackspacers might be a bit sensitive to perceived
> "non-hackers" coming in and expecting to get work done cheaply off the
> back of our collaborative culture. But not everyone can be good at
> everything. And plenty of members here are freelancers and
> contractors. I don't see why the hackspace shouldn't ALSO provide a
> service connecting them with potential clients, as long as everyone
> understands that that's what's happening and that it's distinguishable
> from the "free" work we do for each other within our internal
> gift-economy.
>
> We already have a JobBoard on the wiki :
> http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/JobBoard And an
> AvailableForContracting page :
> http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/AvailableForContracting
>
> Perhaps we need these to be more widely known. Or maybe something more
> explicit. A couple of years ago, I quite wanted someone to build me a
> Blimpduino and I realised that there wasn't a site putting hackers in
> touch with people who wanted things like that built for them. Like a
> kind of Etsy but geekier.
>
> Is this something does / should exist?

It does, and it should, And it's absolutely fine for Dom to ask.

I'm just pointing out that there might not be a queue of takers and
the tack he might take to get moving if nobody's interested. No
criticism intended.

-adrian

tom

Jan 13, 2012, 8:53:52 AM1/13/12
to London Hackspace
exactly, i'd prefer a "i tried building this and heres where i f**ked
up" rather than "PLZ BUILD THIS FOR ME KTHXBYE"

On Jan 13, 1:45 pm, Adrian Godwin <artgod...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 1:35 PM, phil jones <inters...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I see why hackspacers might be a bit sensitive to perceived
> > "non-hackers" coming in and expecting to get work done cheaply off the
> > back of our collaborative culture. But not everyone can be good at
> > everything. And plenty of members here are freelancers and
> > contractors. I don't see why the hackspace shouldn't ALSO provide a
> > service connecting them with potential clients, as long as everyone
> > understands that that's what's happening and that it's distinguishable
> > from the "free" work we do for each other within our internal
> > gift-economy.
>
> > We already have a JobBoard on the wiki :
> >http://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/JobBoardAnd an

phil jones

Jan 13, 2012, 9:56:52 AM1/13/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Tom, I think you missed my point.

I think there *should* be a place for someone who doesn't even want to
try to build something for themselves to say : "I'd like to hire
someone who will build BLAH for me". Given that we probably have one
of the largest concentrations of skills about this stuff in London,
Hackspace is a natural place to ask. (And as we become more prominent
this is probably going to happen more often)

My point is that perhaps there should be a more explicit way of
distinguishing requests like that from requests of the "trying to do
this myself but fucked up, can someone help" type. Maybe even as
simple as email header should start JOB : for job offers, or we have a
separate mailing list.

Wearing my entrepreneurial hat, I think the Hackspace Foundation
*should* set up a job listings mailing list / site to support this. It
will raise the profile of the space further, may raise money (if they
charge for listings), but most importantly, the clear demarcation can
save us from potential problems if the ethos gets muddied by
commercial interests from outside.

phil

Will Pearson

Jan 13, 2012, 10:33:58 AM1/13/12
to London Hackspace

On Jan 13, 2:56 pm, phil jones <inters...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Wearing my entrepreneurial hat, I think the Hackspace Foundation
> *should* set up a job listings mailing list / site to support this. It
> will raise the profile of the space further, may raise money (if they
> charge for listings), but most importantly, the clear demarcation can
> save us from potential problems if the ethos gets muddied by
> commercial interests from outside.

As the saying goes, well volunteered :)

Will

phil jones

Jan 13, 2012, 10:57:45 AM1/13/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I'm happy to help but I was thinking of it being an "official"
initiative from the hackspace foundation. If they give it their
blessing, I can certainly set up a google group / mailing list for it.

phil

Matte

Jan 13, 2012, 4:12:36 PM1/13/12
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dom,

I have been looking at building one of these myself on my own, I have access to a 4 axis miller already.

Don't hesitate to get in touch with me, my mobile number is 07934699763.

Matt H

Glen

Jan 13, 2012, 8:00:33 PM1/13/12
to London Hackspace
Hay Dom.

I make CNC machines for a living from my kitchen table.
There's a pile of CNC 3D printers in the space, I'll help you mount a
Dremmel onto one, it should only take a few hours.

Glen

On Jan 12, 9:27 am, Dom <dom.obr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> dom.obr...@gmail.com

Tim Storey