Materials incoming to the space, but where do we put them?

Tom Parker

Mar 16, 2011, 6:06:45 AM3/16/11
to london-hack-space
So, in consequence to the discussion about the Hobarts order, and for
the benefit of everyone who wasn't on the order, that's now been put
through. Expected delivery is Friday, and I'll be around on Friday
evening to sort through it.

There's one little problem. A lot of the items are 600x300mm, which is
the usual and ideal size for materials intended for the laser cutter,
but that's notably larger than the member boxes. Given that a couple
of sheets of laserable material for use in the near future in the
space doesn't sound too much like an unreasonable storage request,
does anyone have any thoughts on where this sort of thing could be
put? I'm considering stacking mine up behind the member boxes, with
some sort of "hands off, this belongs to palfrey" sticker, but that
doesn't sound like a particularly scalable option when there's more
people than just me.

Ideas anyone? Or do I need to store stuff elsewhere and keep dragging
it down to the space?

Tom

Lester Hawksby

Mar 16, 2011, 6:34:38 AM3/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
> There's one little problem. A lot of the items are 600x300mm, which is
> the usual and ideal size for materials intended for the laser cutter,
> but that's notably larger than the member boxes. Given that a couple
> of sheets of laserable material for use in the near future in the
> space doesn't sound too much like an unreasonable storage request,
> does anyone have any thoughts on where this sort of thing could be
> put? I'm considering stacking mine up behind the member boxes, with
> some sort of "hands off, this belongs to palfrey" sticker, but that
> doesn't sound like a particularly scalable option when there's more
> people than just me.
>
> Ideas anyone? Or do I need to store stuff elsewhere and keep dragging
> it down to the space?

I have managed to get a fair bit of sheet material to fit between the
top of my box and the shelf, but realise this is pretty
unsatisfactory.

A "sheet materials repository" might not be a bad idea. I am happy to
have a go at making one but am unsure where it should live; my
inclination would be against a wall, but we have little wall-space to
spare!

Lester

Elliot West

Mar 16, 2011, 6:56:11 AM3/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, Tom Parker
I would like to build something for the storage of laserables - both communal and personal - but it's way down on my project list.

George Buckenham

Mar 16, 2011, 8:08:39 AM3/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Given these things don't take up that great a volume, I think
labelling them properly and propping them up against the wall behind
the laser cutter could work. Or if there is wall space adjacent to the
member storage, that may be the more correct place.

--George

Billy

Mar 16, 2011, 9:25:48 AM3/16/11
to London Hackspace

On Mar 16, 12:08 pm, George Buckenham <v.twenty....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Given these things don't take up that great a volume, I think
> labelling them properly and propping them up against the wall behind
> the laser cutter could work. Or if there is wall space adjacent to the
> member storage, that may be the more correct place.

The one thing i'd say about this is, store them flat!

I've had a few pieces of the mdf that was curved from leaning storage.
Acrylic doesn't hold a curve as much as the mdf or the plywood, but
it's still noticable when you put it onto the laserbed.

Use a shelf on the storage shelves to lay it horizontally and label
it..

> --George
>
> On 16 March 2011 10:56, Elliot West <tea...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I would like to build something for the storage of laserables - both
> > communal and personal - but it's way down on my project list.

Lester Hawksby

Mar 16, 2011, 9:59:25 AM3/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hmm, good point there.

I was thinking of large, flat boxes about 1" - 1.5" thick (like a
picture frame with hardboard on both sides rather than canvas on one,
and one edge missing) - these have allowed me to get away with
vertical storage of quite a few sheet materials in the past, including
large pieces of paper, which is very prone to taking a set and barely
stands up on its own. For laser-cutter-sized sheets, stacking on the
shelves is practical, but any sheet material that comes in larger
sizes is going to take up a hell of a lot of space laid flat.

Lester

Elliot West

Mar 16, 2011, 10:03:21 AM3/16/11
On 16 March 2011 13:25, Billy <bi...@billycomputersmith.com> wrote:
Use a shelf on the storage shelves to lay it horizontally and label
it..

I'm fairly certain that we've run out of shelves again.

Adrian Godwin

Mar 16, 2011, 11:24:05 AM3/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Don't thicker sheet materials warp if laid flat ? I thought they were usually laid on edge, but with a support to stop them slumping. As Lester describes, in fact.

Visit the art shop across the road (downstairs) to see a selection of storage methods for sheet materials that presumably works well for them.

It's quite common to see plan chests for sale cheap or free. One of these would be pretty good, and provides a useful working area on top.

-adrian

Adrian Godwin

Mar 16, 2011, 11:24:38 AM3/16/11

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 3:24 PM, Adrian Godwin <artg...@gmail.com> wrote:
It's quite common to see plan chests for sale cheap or free. One of these would be pretty good, and provides a useful working area on top.

For thin materials, that is.

-adrian

Sam Cook

Mar 16, 2011, 11:28:31 AM3/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, Adrian Godwin
How ever you want to keep them I think they're here now

Lester Hawksby

Mar 16, 2011, 11:28:05 AM3/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
On 16 March 2011 15:24, Adrian Godwin <artg...@gmail.com> wrote:

A planchest would be FANTASTIC. Just saying.

> -adrian

- Lester

Billy

Mar 16, 2011, 11:44:51 AM3/16/11
to London Hackspace

On Mar 16, 3:28 pm, Sam Cook <sc...@hep.ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
> How ever you want to keep them I think they're here now

He's not wrong. There's two boxes from Hobart in the hallway.

I've put them, on the table in the entranceway so they're flat.

Also two large sacks for Luke.

Is that foundry sand? >:D

Tom Parker

Mar 16, 2011, 11:52:32 AM3/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, Billy
On 16/03/11 15:44, Billy wrote:
> He's not wrong. There's two boxes from Hobart in the hallway.
>
> I've put them, on the table in the entranceway so they're flat.

Nice! I'll pop along briefly tonight to start sorting that out.

Tom

Tom Parker

Mar 16, 2011, 11:50:51 AM3/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com, Lester Hawksby
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/150577498806 - anyone live around Poole?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/250787084033 - or Horsham?

(etc, etc. Search for "plan chest", ignore antiques)

Going cost appears to be ~�50 + getting a van to wherever needed, and
there's not much competition for them because of the weight/shipping
issues. I'd happily hand over �10 or so towards this. Anyone else?

Tom

spooq

Mar 16, 2011, 12:09:51 PM3/16/11
On 16 March 2011 15:44, Billy <bi...@billycomputersmith.com> wrote:
> Also two large sacks for Luke.
>
> Is that foundry sand? >:D

Amongst other things, yes ;)

Luke

Sam Kelly

Mar 16, 2011, 12:02:49 PM3/16/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

I'd chip in a tenner or so as well. A plan chest would be great.

Cheers,
Sam

George Buckenham

Mar 31, 2011, 4:37:12 PM3/31/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

I know I've kind of failed by taking this long to come collect, but does anyone know what's happened to the order?

-George

Sent from my phone.

George Buckenham

Mar 31, 2011, 6:21:20 PM3/31/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Never mind, found it. Apologies for the spam.

-George

Sent from my phone.