3 in 1 Mill Motor

Tim Storey

Jun 13, 2011, 7:41:42 AM6/13/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I attempted to remove the motor this morning but the head of the bottom left hex head bolt has been stripped out.

The easiest remedy is probably a drill out set, similar to this one...

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-cobalt-drill-and-easy-out-set-prod462398/

Sadly I do not posses one and I don't want to exacerbate the problem by an ugly hack such as hammering a hex key into the socket (which rather looks like the culprit)

Simon Howes

Jun 13, 2011, 7:45:20 AM6/13/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Why are you attempting to remove the mill motor?

Tim Storey

Jun 13, 2011, 8:30:21 AM6/13/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Update.

Simon has removed it

Glen

Jun 13, 2011, 8:30:59 AM6/13/11
to London Hackspace
Put the other bolts back to remove as much load from the problem one.
Place an elastic band between the bolt and an alen key to make a
strong connection to get it out.
You can also use a Dremmel to cut a slot in the told that can be used
with a flat head screw driver.
A spanner can be used to remove the motor's mounting plate from the
lathe, which will give you the space needed to use pliers to remove
the bolt.