Music, sampling, making music and stuff..

Aug 10, 2011, 11:24:01 AM8/10/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
I propose that we have a small selection of useful pieces of equipment
for making (digital) music at the space, something that can be
self-contained and small enough to be easily stored..

I'm thinking a vinyl turntable for sampling off of vinyl,
a microphone for general voice,
a microphone and sufficient sound-proofing for more advanced recording,
an all-in-one pc/mac configuration with a selection of software (DAW),
a bunch of headphone sockets,
couple of pairs of decent headphones,
an alright sound card for capture/playback with low latency.

I have a cheap midi keyboard I would give to the project, it's a bit
long though so storage may be a pain in the arse.

I have spoken to a several people who have an interest in this area,
who have said that they would like this kind of setup at the space, so
now I want to see if it's at all viable.

Who on the list has an interest in this actually becoming a reality?

--

++++++++++[>+>+++>++
+++++>++++++++++<<<<
-]>>>+++++++.>++++++
+++++.+++..---------
.++++++++++.<<+++.<.

Billy

Aug 10, 2011, 12:23:40 PM8/10/11
to London Hackspace

I've brought in a small USB mixing desk. It was originally loaned to
the space for the HackThe Media workshops, but it's there for anyone
to use.

I'll be happy to help.

Aug 10, 2011, 12:25:07 PM8/10/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
That's really awesome billy! :D

Tim Richardson

Aug 10, 2011, 12:32:32 PM8/10/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Think its a really cool idea, maybe make a pledge to get a second hand mac?

The real problem is the cost of licences for the software (logic, cubase, ableton?)

I heard Reaper is a very good cheap alternative, but still people are going to want to add VSTs which aren't free.

Personally I've just installed PureData, Hydrogen, and Bristol Synths which are all open source free programs on Linux, and I'm quite impressed with the quality of these programs.

Perhaps we could have a dual boot machine with ubuntu studio or Frdora with the planet CCRMA Repos on one half?

Tim

Tim Richardson

Aug 10, 2011, 12:49:34 PM8/10/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
*Fedora & planet CCRMA

Aug 10, 2011, 12:50:32 PM8/10/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Aug 10, 2011, 12:51:28 PM8/10/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Ooops, didn't see your point on - second hand - mac..

Anyway, the pledge can be changed, I just wanted a ballpark figure
there so we had something to aim to - feel free to adjust/propse
changes.

I agree we need it.

Aug 10, 2011, 12:52:23 PM8/10/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
The only thing that I am concerned with besides the machine's
performance, is convenience for storage and setting up.

I would prefer that we could rip apart a working machine, and place it
into an easy to move enclosure - quick setup.

Martin Klang

Aug 10, 2011, 12:55:57 PM8/10/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Excellent idea M!

I've got some old keyboards and other bits and pieces I can lend to the 'space.
Would be totallest awesomest if a dedicated mini-area could be set up, but I guess there's slim chance of that.

Oh and can I suggest focusing on the hardware setup first and worry about what software to run later?
Software is lot easier to change as we go along. And we will never agree on what to install, and what not.

/m

tom

Aug 10, 2011, 12:57:18 PM8/10/11
to London Hackspace
has anyone got any crappy kids toy drum kits they want to ditch?

Billy

Aug 10, 2011, 2:41:51 PM8/10/11
to London Hackspace

I've got a spare Mac G4, though i haven't plugged it in in a while.
It's got an older version of OSX along with the install cd's. Happy to
donate.

The mixing desk came with a copy of some sequencing software, Cubase i
think. It's somewhere in storage, but i can dig it out.

Robert Hanley

Aug 10, 2011, 2:53:28 PM8/10/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
ubuntu studio might be a good free/opensource option for this project, has a DAW/synths/recording stuff

Rob

Matte

Aug 10, 2011, 2:57:17 PM8/10/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

If we want to go totally old skool I have an Akai S300xl sampler that I'll willingly lend to the cause.

Matt H

Martin Klang

Aug 10, 2011, 3:04:11 PM8/10/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

Tim Richardson

Aug 10, 2011, 8:32:44 PM8/10/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com

> If we want to go totally old skool I have an Akai S300xl sampler that I'll willingly lend to the cause.

Yes, yes, yes! Please

Gal Moore

Aug 11, 2011, 2:43:22 PM8/11/11
to london-h...@googlegroups.com
Hey all. .

I'm New to this group; my name is  Gal,  I play & produce in Jazzsteppa  (also check these for an idea of how it sounds n looks)

Sounds like a cool project here. .

would be happy to come down and help  people go through the basics; Sequencers (CUBASE), editing software,  how to get cool sounds out of synths, Mixing, mastering etc. ..

BiG uP!
Gal. S. Moore
Jazzsteppa Ltd
London/ Berlin/ Tel-Aviv/ St.Petersburg