limerick

Luke Bergen

Jul 26, 2010, 2:24:51 PM7/26/10
to loj...@googlegroups.com
Being bored, I came up with this unsightly mess.  Let's make a game of it.  Anybody else have some good limericks/jokes.  The dirtier the better }:)

puzuvu zasti fa lo nanmu
poi ponse lo cmalu danlu
.i ri ze'e sipna
gi'e mutce citka
doi mlatu plixau fi su'o da xu

The last line is a syllable or two too long but I couldn't figure out how to shorten it.

mi'e cribe

oh, and no offense to cat-lovers.  I love the useless things to death.

Lindar

Jul 26, 2010, 3:06:24 PM7/26/10
to lojban
> puzuvu zasti fa lo nanmu
> poi ponse lo cmalu danlu
> .i ri ze'e sipna
> gi'e mutce citka
> doi mlatu plixau fi su'o da xu

Cute, but should be {doi mlatu do'u plixau fi su'o da xu} otherwise
you're addressing a cat-ish useful-thing and not saying anything to
it. =P

Luke Bergen

Jul 26, 2010, 3:17:12 PM7/26/10
to loj...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I realized that shortly after I sent it.  My next thought was "oh, just make it a name so it would be:
doi lat plixau fi su'o da xu"

But then that would confuse people because the rafsi for mlatu starts with "la" :(

Maybe {doi mlatus plixau fi su'o da xu}?

Warrigal

Jul 26, 2010, 6:41:52 PM7/26/10
to loj...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 2:24 PM, Luke Bergen <lukea...@gmail.com> wrote:
> puzuvu zasti fa lo nanmu
> poi ponse lo cmalu danlu
> .i ri ze'e sipna
> gi'e mutce citka
> doi mlatu plixau fi su'o da xu

You really should indicate the cmavo stress when you do that.

puZUvu zasti fa lo nanmu

poi ponse lo cmalu danlu

.i RI ze'e sipna
gi'E mutce citka
doi mlatu plixau fi su'O da xu

Of course, for it to be a perfect limerick (every third beat
stressed), it would have to be this, which is incorrect:

puZUvu zaSTI fa lo NANmu
poi PONse lo CMAlu . DANlu
.i RI ze'e SIPna
gi'E mutce CITka
doi MLAtu pliXAU fi su'O da xu

So the last line is not too long at all, but you have two brivla
stressed on the wrong syllable (and one not stressed at all), and an
awkward pause in line two. You can sort of fudge the stress by, say,
making the first syllable higher-pitched and the second syllable
louder, but eh.

--
Cantr, a browser-based RPG: http://www.cantr.net/ Create a Lojban
character so you can practice your Lojban!

Luke Bergen

Jul 26, 2010, 6:47:44 PM7/26/10
to loj...@googlegroups.com

I didn't know the rule about the third syllable.  I was just loosely trying to fit the rythm of there once was a X from Y.  Thanks for the input.  I'll have to keep that in mind next time

On Jul 26, 2010 6:41 PM, "Warrigal" <ihope...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 2:24 PM, Luke Bergen <lukea...@gmail.com> wrote:

> puzuvu zasti fa lo nan...

You really should indicate the cmavo stress when you do that.

puZUvu zasti fa lo nanmu

poi ponse lo cmalu danlu

.i RI ze'e sipna
gi'E mutce citka
doi mlatu plixau fi su'O da xu

Of course, for it to be a perfect limerick (every third beat
stressed), it would have to be this, which is incorrect:

puZUvu zaSTI fa lo NANmu
poi PONse lo CMAlu . DANlu
.i RI ze'e SIPna
gi'E mutce CITka
doi MLAtu pliXAU fi su'O da xu

So the last line is not too long at all, but you have two brivla
stressed on the wrong syllable (and one not stressed at all), and an
awkward pause in line two. You can sort of fudge the stress by, say,
making the first syllable higher-pitched and the second syllable
louder, but eh.

--
Cantr, a browser-based RPG: http://www.cantr.net/ Create a Lojban
character so you can practice your Lojban!

To post to...

Pierre Abbat

Jul 26, 2010, 10:54:49 PM7/26/10
to loj...@googlegroups.com
On Monday 26 July 2010 15:17:12 Luke Bergen wrote:
> Yeah, I realized that shortly after I sent it. My next thought was "oh,
> just make it a name so it would be:
> doi lat plixau fi su'o da xu"
>
> But then that would confuse people because the rafsi for mlatu starts with
> "la" :(

You can say "doi mlat." That's not a problem.

Pierre
--
La sal en el mar es más que en la sangre.
Le sel dans la mer est plus que dans le sang.

Jonathan Jones

Jul 26, 2010, 11:25:09 PM7/26/10
to loj...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 8:54 PM, Pierre Abbat <ph...@phma.optus.nu> wrote:
On Monday 26 July 2010 15:17:12 Luke Bergen wrote:
> Yeah, I realized that shortly after I sent it.  My next thought was "oh,
> just make it a name so it would be:
> doi lat plixau fi su'o da xu"
>
> But then that would confuse people because the rafsi for mlatu starts with
> "la" :(

You can say "doi mlat." That's not a problem.

Using the Dot-Side convention, {doi .lat.} is possible.

Pierre
--
La sal en el mar es más que en la sangre.
Le sel dans la mer est plus que dans le sang.

mu'o mi'e .aionys.

.i.a'o.e'e ko klama le bende pe denpa bu

Lindar

Jul 27, 2010, 6:34:20 AM7/27/10
to lojban
> But then that would confuse people because the rafsi for mlatu starts with
> "la" :(

Are you from the past?
</it crowd>

We have dotside now. It's pretty cool.
Also, I hear they're proposing a change in meaning for {lo}.
>______>
</sarcasm>

Luke Bergen

Jul 27, 2010, 8:19:46 AM7/27/10
to loj...@googlegroups.com

Haha ok ok.  I know xorlo has been widely accepted but it's harder to discern peoples mood on dotside.  It doesn't seem like I usually see doi .lindar.   :)

To post to...

Michael Turniansky

Jul 30, 2010, 8:15:53 AM7/30/10
to loj...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 2:24 PM, Luke Bergen <lukea...@gmail.com> wrote:

The following limericks I wrote appeared in the movie Conlang, and
here is my original letter written to the lojban list about it:
------
I've written two limericks in lojban, both having appeared in the
forums of the OEDILF (Omnificient English Dictionary In Limerick
Form), http://oedilf.com. Neither is dirty:

fe le tolcre cu nandu .i'u
.iunai fa lo nu finti le mu
lo vlali'i co pemci
.i se tordu le temci
.i lo rimni cu sarcu je'u

nutytirna loi sidbo be fi
lo tadbebna .i jimpe fa mi
no da .i loi tolka'e
be lo terjmi cu a'e
nai gasnu lo blima e'i

(the second is a translation of the following by Steve Andersen, on
the word "acataleptic":
Overhearing the thoughts of a nerd,
I couldn't absorb what I heard.
Things acataleptic
Just make me dyspeptic.
I registered nary a word.)
----

I am an editor over at OEDILF and have written over 300 (English
language) limericks there.
--gejyspa

Timo Paulssen

Jul 30, 2010, 9:20:01 AM7/30/10
to loj...@googlegroups.com
On 07/27/2010 12:34 PM, Lindar wrote:
> We have dotside now. It's pretty cool. Also, I hear they're proposing
> a change in meaning for {lo}.

Have you seen that ludicrous display last night?
</it-crowd>
- Timo

Jorge Llambías

Jul 30, 2010, 9:42:49 AM7/30/10
to loj...@googlegroups.com

pafcribe

Jul 30, 2010, 9:50:07 AM7/30/10
to lojban
hmmm, did your post get cut, xorxes? I see the following:

Jorge Llambías

Jul 30, 2010, 10:05:15 AM7/30/10
to loj...@googlegroups.com
No, that was that. I just hit the wrong button.